• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2024/25

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I can't remember the last time that I've seen a 1-11 in senior professional football. That said, I suspect I will only be watching non-league in a couple of years as the desire to get £100+ per ticket, popcorn munching, official merchandise buying day-trippers will result in me jacking it in and deciding to watch non-league where that will be the reality.
I don't have a problem with players being assigned specific numbers in club football or, as I say, in major international tournaments. In those contexts (i.e., where there is a fixed and definitive squad for a not insignificant amount of time) it makes sense.

But in the context of call-ups that last about a week for a handful of meaningless games in pissant competitions, nah.

ripper868

International Coach
Also, small bugbear, and not a new issue by any means, but I really (irrationally) hate it when outside of major competitions the starting XI for international teams doesn't just wear numbers 1-11 on their shirts.
Think it would be quite cool for all internationals to be 1-11 and 12-19 (or however many subs) - would actually add a little more value to jersey swaps as well, like a Bellingham 9 holds more value than a Bellingham 15.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Think it would be quite cool for all internationals to be 1-11 and 12-19 (or however many subs) - would actually add a little more value to jersey swaps as well, like a Bellingham 9 holds more value than a Bellingham 15.
Yeah, it used to be that way until... dunno, sometime within the last ten years I think.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I don't have a problem with players being assigned specific numbers in club football or, as I say, in major international tournaments. In those contexts (i.e., where there is a fixed and definitive squad for a not insignificant amount of time) it makes sense.

But in the context of call-ups that last about a week for a handful of meaningless games in pissant competitions, nah.
Fair enough. Nations League is obviously an income filler for the football associations/federations. Maybe they should have expanded world cup qualifying? It seems stupid to have a week off from league action resulting in the dumb schedule that there is from late November to the end of January for this.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair enough. Nations League is obviously an income filler for the football associations/federations. Maybe they should have expanded world cup qualifying? It seems stupid to have a week off from league action resulting in the dumb schedule that there is from late November to the end of January for this.
Particularly the 3/4 games in 10/12 days or so over Christmas. That is a ridiculous thing to do these days.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Particularly the 3/4 games in 10/12 days or so over Christmas. That is a ridiculous thing to do these days.
It was a ridiculous thing to do. 30 years ago or so I recall teams playing on consecutive days on 26th and 27th as well as the new year game and the pre Xmas game before and then the FA Cup 3rd round a few days after. I recall last year my lot (West Ham) played in 30th November, 2nd, 7th, 10th, 14th, 17th, 20th, 24th, 28th December and 2nd & 6th Jan. 2 European Games, 1 league cup and 1 FA cup 3rd round game. It was no shock that we were out on our feet for the rest of the season after that, especially when we used so few players. That said, several of them I would never have used on a regular basis anyway!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can't remember the last time that I've seen a 1-11 in senior professional football. That said, I suspect I will only be watching non-league in a couple of years as the desire to get £100+ per ticket, popcorn munching, official merchandise buying day-trippers will result in me jacking it in and deciding to watch non-league where that will be the reality.
not sure how far down but they certainly have squad numbers at the top end of non-league

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also, small bugbear, and not a new issue by any means, but I really (irrationally) hate it when outside of major competitions the starting XI for international teams doesn't just wear numbers 1-11 on their shirts.
Haha I'm the opposite. I irrationally hate teams that line up 1-11.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It was a ridiculous thing to do. 30 years ago or so I recall teams playing on consecutive days on 26th and 27th as well as the new year game and the pre Xmas game before and then the FA Cup 3rd round a few days after. I recall last year my lot (West Ham) played in 30th November, 2nd, 7th, 10th, 14th, 17th, 20th, 24th, 28th December and 2nd & 6th Jan. 2 European Games, 1 league cup and 1 FA cup 3rd round game. It was no shock that we were out on our feet for the rest of the season after that, especially when we used so few players. That said, several of them I would never have used on a regular basis anyway!
Pretty sure in the 50s it was the done thing to have, for example, Arsenal v Nottingham Forest on Christmas Day and then play the reverse fixture on Boxing Day.

There's that famous graphic of the Boxing Day card in (possibly) 1961 where every game is an 11-4 or a 7-3 or some other ridiculous scoreline and it's probably because every **** was just ****ing knackered by half time.

Having said that, the Christmas schedule is one of my favourite things about football in this country.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure in the 50s it was the done thing to have, for example, Arsenal v Nottingham Forest on Christmas Day and then play the reverse fixture on Boxing Day.
I have a matchbox holder (which seems odd in itself now) that my grandfather gave me from the Portsmouth Champions season of 1948-49 listing all the fixtures. They played Chelsea on the 25th and 27th. However, the following season was properly ****ed. They played on the 24th (Blackpool away), reverse fixtures on 26th/27th (Charlton) and another on the 31st (I'm guessing in those days there weren't a lot of away fans trying to get back from Middlesbrough on NYE!!).

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain

There's that famous graphic of the Boxing Day card in (possibly) 1961 where every game is an 11-4 or a 7-3 or some other ridiculous scoreline and it's probably because every **** was just ****ing knackered by half time.

Having said that, the Christmas schedule is one of my favourite things about football in this country.
I think my lot lost one year to Blackburn 7-2 but then beat them 5-3 or something similar on consecutive days from the 50s/early 60s I think.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Woeful from Tranmere at home. Fmd waking up to this **** is pathetic
It was ****ing awful mate. Insipid season so far.

Takeover is imminent. Seems to be led by Joe Tacopina who was once Trump’s lawyer and doesn’t appear to have rise up the leagues money. On we go in midtable purgatory.