• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2024/25

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We cleared out a bunch of midfielders, on the way to being the sellingest club of the British Summer transfer window, and now two of our three? remaining CDMs are out with long-term knee injuries. (One of whom was the anointed team captain) MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
Yeah saw Amps as out, gonna be a tough few months.

govinda indian fan

State 12th Man
Heard man united are going for tuchel as next coach one thing that strikes my mind if they want total restructure of team culture why dont they go with xavi he is young and won la liga with braca and has braca dna on top of that is a drama queen which would be entertain fans and neutrals😂

Last edited:

Skipper Pup

U19 Vice-Captain
Dortmund fans are abit salty atm.

Interesting Klopp included a German national team clause in the contract. Big nod towards how he plans to end his career. I fancy him to do well in international tournaments he was always great in the cups, just couldn't beat Ancelotti.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that formation got exactly what it deserved. Two fullbacks who can’t defend and only one central midfielder, the rest largely running aimlessly.

The Greeks, no doubt inspired by the desperate Baldock news, totally deserved it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Could and should have been much more than 2-1 to the Greeks, who were way superior all over the park. In future, let's not try and fit all of the superstar midfielders in the side instead of being willing to make the tough calls about who to leave out so that the side can actually be balanced.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad to see the England fans are taking it well

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
Could and should have been much more than 2-1 to the Greeks, who were way superior all over the park. In future, let's not try and fit all of the superstar midfielders in the side instead of being willing to make the tough calls about who to leave out so that the side can actually be balanced.
It was a bizarre selection given how good the midfield had looked in the previous game with Gomez linking play with Rice. Presumably, if Kane had been fit he'd have played and the formation would have been far more predictable. Not sure why it needed to differ so much based on his fitness. Carsley's comments didn't help either, "something we tried in training for 20 mins" doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I think he all but removed himself from the long term consideration for the job.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
It was a bizarre selection given how good the midfield had looked in the previous game with Gomez linking play with Rice. Presumably, if Kane had been fit he'd have played and the formation would have been far more predictable. Not sure why it needed to differ so much based on his fitness. Carsley's comments didn't help either, "something we tried in training for 20 mins" doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I think he all but removed himself from the long term consideration for the job.
I only watched from near the end of the first half, but was amazed at the set up, or in reality the lack of it. Essentially a load of central midfielders being quite far forward of where Rice was. The comms at half time said that they shouldn't change, which I found preposterous. It was crying out for a centre-forward to come on and then at least one midfielder dropping a bit further back to give some balance. But those players appear to lack the discipline to do that. However, you can't then miss what happened with both of the goals and Pavlides given the freedom of the penalty area of the first without anyone deeming a challenge worthwhile and then Lewis dawdling when he needed to clear for the second. Not a clever set up to say the least.

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
I only watched from near the end of the first half, but was amazed at the set up, or in reality the lack of it. Essentially a load of central midfielders being quite far forward of where Rice was. The comms at half time said that they shouldn't change, which I found preposterous. It was crying out for a centre-forward to come on and then at least one midfielder dropping a bit further back to give some balance. But those players appear to lack the discipline to do that. However, you can't then miss what happened with both of the goals and Pavlides given the freedom of the penalty area of the first without anyone deeming a challenge worthwhile and then Lewis dawdling when he needed to clear for the second. Not a clever set up to say the least.
Apparently, Palmer was the one supposed to be nearest to Rice on the pitch, which makes no sense at all anyway. That's why you see him putting in a half hearted tackle for the first goal, but he shouldn't be there. From that selection, surely you'd have Bellingham as the link man, not Palmer. Lewis looked completely lost at left back, and you can't play TAA at right back without more protection from the midfield. People were calling it out before the start, so it was no surprise it backfired.

I watch ITV matches on mute, Matterface and Dixon are an insult to football commentary. I switch over at h/t. But did they really say it was going ok at that point????

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Apparently, Palmer was the one supposed to be nearest to Rice on the pitch, which makes no sense at all anyway. That's why you see him putting in a half hearted tackle for the first goal, but he shouldn't be there. From that selection, surely you'd have Bellingham as the link man, not Palmer. Lewis looked completely lost at left back, and you can't play TAA at right back without more protection from the midfield. People were calling it out before the start, so it was no surprise it backfired.

I watch ITV matches on mute, Matterface and Dixon are an insult to football commentary. I switch over at h/t. But did they really say it was going ok at that point????
No they didn't say it was going ok, they said that they should surely give it another few minutes before making a change. As I said, I didn't watch all bar the last 10 minutes of the first half, but I looked at who was playing and thought what the ****.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Prime example of one of those ideas that gets described as "experimental" rather than "obviously and self-evidently shite".

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, small bugbear, and not a new issue by any means, but I really (irrationally) hate it when outside of major competitions the starting XI for international teams doesn't just wear numbers 1-11 on their shirts.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Also, small bugbear, and not a new issue by any means, but I really (irrationally) hate it when outside of major competitions the starting XI for international teams doesn't just wear numbers 1-11 on their shirts.
I can't remember the last time that I've seen a 1-11 in senior professional football. That said, I suspect I will only be watching non-league in a couple of years as the desire to get £100+ per ticket, popcorn munching, official merchandise buying day-trippers will result in me jacking it in and deciding to watch non-league where that will be the reality.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What the **** is that starting lineup?
It was something that pleased the press before the game, bit like years ago fitting Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes in the same team and nullifying all of them. Glad it was done in a glorified friendly and the fans and press can now see you can't fit them all in to the same side.

Hopefully we pick a proper formation in Finland.