• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of India 2024

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Don't see anyway how it won't be 3-0 tbh. India's upgraded from the 2021 series massively.
Lesser NZ sides have historically competed well enough in India (even if they have no wins in 3 decades to show for it). The 2010 side (KW’s debut series) drew 2 out of 3 tests and gave India a real scare at Motera. In 2012 the Bangalore test was similarly very close. These were sides which ranked 8 or 9 at the time.

The difference since then has been the Ashwin-Jadeja duo; even as NZ’s batting has been much better against spin that combination is simply a cheat code. Add Axar into the mix there’s no let up. So yeah, 3-0 you’d think though NZ have precedent for surprising.

govinda indian fan

State 12th Man
Lesser NZ sides have historically competed well enough in India (even if they have no wins in 3 decades to show for it). The 2010 side (KW’s debut series) drew 2 out of 3 tests and gave India a real scare at Motera. In 2012 the Bangalore test was similarly very close. These were sides which ranked 8 or 9 at the time.

The difference since then has been the Ashwin-Jadeja duo; even as NZ’s batting has been much better against spin that combination is simply a cheat code. Add Axar into the mix there’s no let up. So yeah, 3-0 you’d think though NZ have precedent for surprising.
Add kuldeep alongside bumarh

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Looks like it’ll be between Young and Chapman to take Kane’s slot. Though Chapman is the more appealing selection, not averse to bringing in Young as opener (though I am otherwise against it on principle) if it allows Conway to slot into his favoured no.3 position.
I think they said Young is a straight swap if he plays. If you moved Conway to 3, then Kane returns you, then just ask him to open again...doesn't make much sense.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
In my opinion NZ don't have a shot with safe batters.
From what I have seen Chapman is good on both sets of sweep shots. That shot is always key to have in India.
India likely won't prepare dust bowls as we saw vs England and Bangladesh.

Play folks who can score at a decent clip. Ashwin and Jadeja don't let defensive players play for long.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Kane ducking the hard series again lmao
this was my exact first thought as soon as i read the news

not a good look kano, im sure he'll be back to get that average upto 60 when west indies pakistan south africa-c come to nz

Last edited:

PaulLennon

U19 Cricketer

Yeah but India has also upgraded a lot since then.

Ashwin-Jadeja-Bumrah-Kuldeep-Siraj/Shami/Akashdeep is probably the best bowling lineup India has ever had. Maybe the best bowling lineup in Asia ever.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Looks like it’ll be between Young and Chapman to take Kane’s slot. Though Chapman is the more appealing selection, not averse to bringing in Young as opener (though I am otherwise against it on principle) if it allows Conway to slot into his favoured no.3 position.
#3 is probably too high for Chapman in Tests IMO, and I wouldn't really want to mess with the rest of the order. Young averages ~40 when filling in in the middle order too, plus he was already in the initial squad and Chapman was a fill in. I think it'll be him to start with at least.

GirthQuake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thought I'd see KW live for the 1st time at Bangalore but not to be.

Would also be my 1st time watching Bumrah bowl in tests so hopefully he doesn't get rested.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Thought I'd see KW live for the 1st time at Bangalore but not to be.

Would also be my 1st time watching Bumrah bowl in tests so hopefully he doesn't get rested.
Watched Bumrah and Shami in the 2022 D/N test vs SL, was a thrilling sight under lights with the crowd providing a build up to almost every ball. Given the way tests are allocated in India, possibly a last chance to see many of the current side for a lot of people.

govinda indian fan

State 12th Man
Watched Bumrah and Shami in the 2022 D/N test vs SL, was a thrilling sight under lights with the crowd providing a build up to almost every ball. Given the way tests are allocated in India, possibly a last chance to see many of the current side for a lot of people.
Yes ash and jadeja could retire in couple of years😟 this is simply greatest attack india ever had

govinda indian fan

State 12th Man
In my opinion NZ don't have a shot with safe batters.
From what I have seen Chapman is good on both sets of sweep shots. That shot is always key to have in India.
India likely won't prepare dust bowls as we saw vs England and Bangladesh.

Play folks who can score at a decent clip. Ashwin and Jadeja don't let defensive players play for long.
Nz must attack bumarh ashwin and jadeja hard indian bowlers when you attack have no answers esp ashwin and jadeja they were clueless when pope started sweeps/reverse sweeps

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Nz must attack bumarh ashwin and jadeja hard indian bowlers when you attack have no answers esp ashwin and jadeja they were clueless when pope started sweeps/reverse sweeps
Not easy attacking Indian Pacers except Siraj these days but spinners can be taken down if you are willing to be positive.
Defensive cricket will never work in India.

NZ must dump Southee, don't play Henry & attack India with Ben Sears and O Rourke. They have a shocking spin attack to rest their hopes on.

govinda indian fan

State 12th Man
Not easy attacking Indian Pacers except Siraj these days but spinners can be taken down if you are willing to be positive.

NZ must dump Southee, don't play Henry & attack India with Ben Sears and O Rourke. They have a shocking spin attack to rest their hopes on.
Carawly and duckett did attack bumarh through not much but yes you are right nz must play sears o rourke and matt henry as their spinners dont inspire much confidence and yes nz must grab bull by horns if they want to win

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
#3 is probably too high for Chapman in Tests IMO, and I wouldn't really want to mess with the rest of the order. Young averages ~40 when filling in in the middle order too, plus he was already in the initial squad and Chapman was a fill in. I think it'll be him to start with at least.
As much as Young has struggled at the top order in tests, I think Chapman would have even more trouble against good quick bowlers like India has. With that long backlift he's late against real pace and doesn't like the short ball, though I guess the pitch may nullify the latter problem. Might be a closer debate on who the better player of spin is, though at 3 I'd choose Young comfortably.

Subtext - they're both going to get destroyed regardless.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
One thing that bothers me is that in the don't-rock-the-boat-jobs-for-mates setup we'll see this XI for the first test:
1. Latham
2. Conway
3. Ravindra
4. Mitchell
5. Blundell
6. Phillips
7. Santner/Macewell
8. Henry
9. Southee
10. Patel
11. O'Rourke

the big bambino

International Captain

Ajaz took all ten in an innings against India.