• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of India 2024

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like Chapman, and I'm glad someone else is getting a chance ahead of a Nicholls recall, but it still seems that there's this magic age barrier beyond which selection becomes comparatively easier.

jcas0167

International Debutant
He's done his time and earned the right to be considered for potentially being selected in certain circumstances if senior players are unavailable.
Yes, they provide a reasonable explanation for picking him. I guess other candidates could have included Tom Bruce or Rob O'Donnell but Chapman's experience and record against spin stands out. Williamson is getting to the Crowe stage where he is increasingly injury prone it seems. By the same age Crowe had of course already retired due to his knee issues.

Chapman, who has become a mainstay in the BLACKCAPS white-ball sides, averages 41.9 in first-class cricket, with six centuries, including 114 for New Zealand A against India A at Bert Sutcliffe Oval in 2020.

He featured in three of the Aces Plunket Shield fixtures last summer, notching 245 runs at 40, including 123 against the Otago Volts in Dunedin in February.

Wells said Chapman possessed the right skillset for Test cricket in the sub-continent.

“We believe Mark is one of our best players of spin and has a proven track-record in the sub-continent,” said Wells.

“Mark has displayed an ability to play spin proactively in the international arena, and combined with his excellent first-class record, we see him as someone who can succeed in the type of conditions we expect to encounter in India.”

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
6 FC tons and 17 FC half centuries isn't as good as I thought tbh. Hasn't really played enough FC cricket. Tom Bruce has played nearly double the games for 10 tons and 35 half centuries, which isn't great either.

Hope he can get a score here though. Would be good. In fact, I'd take an error-free fielding display and a decent batting effort as a massive step forward from Galle.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What happened in Sri Lanka that convinced us we needed a Bracewell? Serious answers only please

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gutted KW misses the first and spoils my wishful thought of him turning that particular kinks in his Test record by scoring 600 runs in the 3 tests series with 3 hundreds & averaging 120 and hence turning around his ordinary record in India ..now he only has 2 Tests to improve it.

Last edited:

Zinzan

I'm don't think Chapman is a bad option to be honest, he is one of our better bats on slower turning tracks albeit in the white ball forms.

Zinzan

Has it been confirmed Kane misses the first Test? I haven't seen that officially
"Black Caps selector Sam Wells was hopeful Williamson could play a part later in the series but confirmed he would miss the first Test."....

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Chapman anyways has a very minimal chance to play any test. Will Young has been waiting long and will play ahead of him in the first test while Kane comes back for the second and Chapman goes back.

King Kane

International Debutant
It was going to be hard enough to beat India with Williamson let alone without him but hopefully we can still be competitive even if he doesn't play.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Looks like it’ll be between Young and Chapman to take Kane’s slot. Though Chapman is the more appealing selection, not averse to bringing in Young as opener (though I am otherwise against it on principle) if it allows Conway to slot into his favoured no.3 position.