• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I mean is this a completely prank pitch or something?

I've not watched any of this match so far (about to stick it on), but it seems to me that in this series and the last time England toured every surface was a complete road.
Yeah it if you looked at the pitch and were told it was a day 1 surface you wouldn’t really bat an eyelid other than maybe being surprised by a couple of cracks.

King Kane

International Debutant
According to the 1957 scorecard, the England record partnership of 411 between Cowdrey and May took 500 minutes, which is roughly double the length of this one (256 minutes aws). They didn't record balls faced at the time but I suspect the discrepancy would be quite a bit bigger.
Cowdrey and May wouldn't have been playing reverse scoops or reverse sweeps like the modern day batsmen or have bats built for playing T20 cricket.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If this world is just, the partnership will fail before the efforts of Marsh and Voges are lost to time.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Cowdrey and May wouldn't have been playing reverse scoops or reverse sweeps like the modern day batsman or have bats built for playing T20 cricket.
Those guys could definitely push the scoring when they wanted to. In this case they were trying to save the game after conceding a big first innings lead, and succeeded.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
I mean is this a completely prank pitch or something?

I've not watched any of this match so far (about to stick it on), but it seems to me that in this series and the last time England toured every surface was a complete road.
To be fair last time the first pitch was an absolute slab but the next two offered some support to spinners (especially the 2nd test). This has been as flat as the first test last time.

mackembhoy

International Regular
I'd have thought this would have been the 400+ partnership with the highest SR.

But just a quick check into a couple and Sehwag/Dravid was an 88SR. Voges and Marsh at 84 and this one at 83.

Can't be bothered to check the others. If only Stokes and Bairstow had scored 1 more I doubt there's any 350+ faster than their 114SR.

Edit:statsguru does the job much faster :laugh: