• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid vs James Anderson

Who is the better test cricketer?

• Total voters

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Yeah Bedser’s reputation comes from Bradman’s praising of him. Pretty mediocre record (relatively) once you delve into it a bit.
Harvey and Morris regard him very highly too. One of those that seems to score big on peer rating. Bit of romanticism around him carrying the bowling attack in the recovery years after the War too which is creditable and contextual no doubt. Think Anderson did enough to rank ahead of him. I suspect John Snow was less condition-dependent than Bedser.

Coronis

International Coach
Harvey and Morris regard him very highly too. One of those that seems to score big on peer rating. Bit of romanticism around him carrying the bowling attack in the recovery years after the War too which is creditable and contextual no doubt. Think Anderson did enough to rank ahead of him. I suspect John Snow was less condition-dependent than Bedser.
tbf he did have one great tour of Australia (though I believe most bowlers on both sides did)

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
tbf he did have one great tour of Australia (though I believe most bowlers on both sides did)
Scorecards imply some proper minefields. I've read some stories of the wickets getting damp etc. Perhaps Len Hutton's most remarkable series. Snow's tour of Australia was more impressive imo. Bedser's golden run at home likely came in some kind conditions but the relentlessness still conveys quality.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Anderson makes my top 20 pacers I think. He probably won’t be in it in like a decade once Cummins, Bumrah, and Rabada are retired though.

Coronis

International Coach
Anderson makes my top 20 pacers I think. He probably won’t be in it in like a decade once Cummins, Bumrah, and Rabada are retired though.
That said, Dravid probably won’t make the top 20 batsmen either in a decade or two once guys like Jaiswal and Brook are retired.
I’d say one of those is far more premature than the other.

For all we know they could end up like Jimmy Adams. Or Trott

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Malcolm Marshall
Glenn McGrath
Richard Hadlee
Sydney Barnes
Curtly Ambrose
Dennis Lillee
Wasim Akram
Dale Steyn
Fred Trueman
Imran Khan
Waqar Younis
Joel Garner
Allan Donald
Ray Lindwall
Michael Holding
Alec Bedser
Alan Davidson
Courtney Walsh
Shaun Pollock
Andy Roberts

Top 20 for me. I may put Anderson at 21 ignoring the likes of Pat Cummins, Jasprit Bumrah (and arguably Rabada and Philander). I think spinners like Murali, Warne, O'Reilly, Laker, Grimmett (and arguably Verity and Ashwin) are ahead of Anderson as bowlers.
Laker is definitely not ahead of Anderson, as is Verity; and I will rate Andy ahead of Bedser, and Cummins ahead of a few others here (Roberts, Pollock, Walsh).

sayon basak

State Vice-Captain
Laker is definitely not ahead of Anderson, as is Verity; and I will rate Andy ahead of Bedser, and Cummins ahead of a few others here (Roberts, Pollock, Walsh).
Just ignored Cummins to make it easy for Anderson to get in the top 20, but that wouldn't help.

Johan

State 12th Man
ngl, would take Jimmy over Andy, the latter's career was quite short and also quite confident that Jimmy's 2010-2022 is statistically superior

Last edited: