• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid vs James Anderson

Who is the better test cricketer?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
I guess I would value Anderson's career slightly more overall with slight bias towards pacers as decider.

Thala_0710

U19 Debutant
I would have Dravid in my top 20 bats of all time, but Anderson close to the top 30 mark maybe in the corresponding bowlers list, hence Dravid.

Johan

State 12th Man
Personally favouring Anderson, think he is higher in my bowlers ranking than Dravid is in my Batsmen ranking.

sayon basak

State Vice-Captain
Malcolm Marshall
Glenn McGrath
Richard Hadlee
Sydney Barnes
Curtly Ambrose
Dennis Lillee
Wasim Akram
Dale Steyn
Fred Trueman
Imran Khan
Waqar Younis
Joel Garner
Allan Donald
Ray Lindwall
Michael Holding
Alec Bedser
Alan Davidson
Courtney Walsh
Shaun Pollock
Andy Roberts

Top 20 for me. I may put Anderson at 21 ignoring the likes of Pat Cummins, Jasprit Bumrah (and arguably Rabada and Philander). I think spinners like Murali, Warne, O'Reilly, Laker, Grimmett (and arguably Verity and Ashwin) are ahead of Anderson as bowlers.

Last edited:

Thala_0710

U19 Debutant
Malcolm Marshall
Glenn McGrath
Richard Hadlee
Sydney Barnes
Curtly Ambrose
Dennis Lillee
Wasim Akram
Dale Steyn
Fred Trueman
Imran Khan
Waqar Younis
Joel Garner
Allan Donald
Ray Lindwall
Michael Holding
Alec Bedser
Alan Davidson
Courtney Walsh
Shaun Pollock
Andy Roberts

Top 20 for me. I may put Anderson at 21 ignoring the likes of Pat Cummins, Jasprit Bumrah (and arguably Rabada and Philander). I think spinners like Murali, Warne, O'Reilly, Laker, Grimmett are ahead of Anderson as bowlers.
I have Cummins and Bumrah ahead of him but not Rabada or Philander. In the spinners list I'd have Ashwin ahead of him too just.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Malcolm Marshall
Glenn McGrath
Richard Hadlee
Sydney Barnes
Curtly Ambrose
Dennis Lillee
Wasim Akram
Dale Steyn
Fred Trueman
Imran Khan
Waqar Younis
Joel Garner
Allan Donald
Ray Lindwall
Michael Holding
Alec Bedser
Alan Davidson
Courtney Walsh
Shaun Pollock
Andy Roberts

Top 20 for me. I may put Anderson at 21 ignoring the likes of Pat Cummins, Jasprit Bumrah (and arguably Rabada and Philander). I think spinners like Murali, Warne, O'Reilly, Laker, Grimmett (and arguably Verity) are ahead of Anderson as bowlers.
Would have Anderson over Bedser.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
What about others I have mentioned?
Not 100% sure where I stand on Cummins and Bumrah. It is hard with uncompleted careers. Bumrah is more rounded but has a lower sample size than Cummins who has his issues in Asia. Those two are more destructive than Anderson.

Davidson's sample size is on the low side and he played in a bowler-friendly era, but he does have the stats.

There's a possibility Anderson wouldn't make my top 20 but he'd make my top 25.