• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*OFFICIAL* England in Pakistan 2024

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Root's off side game doesn't suit batting no3 but still reckon he was stuffed a bit by the conditions-related timing of the experiment. Certainly more of a no4 but don't think he's as bad a no3 as his average there suggests.

BazBall21

If England get anywhere near parity i reckon they'll miss stokes in the 3rd innings. At the peak of bazball mock 1 he was brilliant at strangling sides out for low totals in that period of the game on pretty flat decks.
Stokes captaincy a big miss in general. Especially considering Pope isn't great at it.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
At the very least, England need a few wickets in the shed at close today. At that point they should be somewhere near 400+ and a chance to get close. The last thing England need to do is get bowled out tomorrow morning 100 or so runs behind. Then Pakistan can set up the game.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
This is fairly putrid from Shaheen. Bouncers no quicker than what Woakes is bowling and Brook is doing his Djokovic impression.

BazBall21

Naseem was getting it to reverse before lunch. Hasn't even been on since. Shaheen and the spinners very innocuous.

mackembhoy

International Regular
This is fairly putrid from Shaheen. Bouncers no quicker than what Woakes is bowling and Brook is doing his Djokovic impression.
It's a mental pitch to prepare as it just kills their bowlers as well.

They've gone in with the aim of a draw. What a horrendous approach to a game.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
I don't think it's possible if he was still worth his place in the side and say retires after the 2027 Ashes. Which could have to the potential as good way to bow out.

But as he'll only be 36 then and has actually looked back to his best at 33 and only getting better. Who knows how long he will play on for.
Root needs 3 to 4 calendar years going on his scoring rate since 2021 without injury. Depends on Ashes fall out, there's always someone axed, but if he wants it.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
It's a mental pitch to prepare as it just kills their bowlers as well.

They've gone in with the aim of a draw. What a horrendous approach to a game.
I can't say that I watched much of the first two days as I was at my office. It has hardly been a spectacle watching today. Sure, I've enjoyed some of the strokeplay, and I respected Aamer Jamal working over Duckett from a skilled bowling perspective but overall there is not much to enjoy. PS, really enjoying that Stokes has come out as 12th man to offer advice. I doubt too many other senior players would do that.

Last edited:

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
That was Anderson doing what he does and Robinson copying him. Sadly Robinson is a helmet or he'd be out there now.
Yep, it is a tough ask to expect other bowlers to be able to match that. It is a shame when you have one bowler capable of doing a pretty good job of matching it being a latter day Pietersen.

BazBall21

I seriously think one of the openers should be the vice captains, probably Crawley tbh.
Brook or Crawley both better bets I think. They gave it to Pope because he was a bit of a prodigy and came onto the scene earlier than Brook. They've kind of backed themselves into a corner because they're really keen on taking pressure off him but if they take VC away - that's an admission his place isn't completely safe.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Definitely think Root should try for a triple hundred here ..Will he ever get a better chance ? Who was the last English batsman to get a triple hundred ?
I'm not so sure we will see a triple again tbh.

This modern crop doesn't really have it in them to grind out for that long.

We've only had Warner, Azhar Ali and Nair score one in the last 10 years.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I'm not so sure we will see a triple again tbh.

This modern crop doesn't really have it in them to grind out for that long.

We've only had Warner, Azhar Ali and Nair score one in the last 10 years.
It will need a more complete player than the likes of Duckett and Crawley to do it.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Brook or Crawley both better bets I think. They gave it to Pope because he was a bit of a prodigy and came onto the scene earlier than Brook. They've kind of backed themselves into a corner because they're really keen on taking pressure off him but if they take VC away - that's an admission his place isn't completely safe.
Yep and you don't really want to add that onto Brook so soon in his career too.

He himself said he wasn't too sure on taking it up for the Aussie white ball series in Buttler absence as well.

Captaincy is clearly a difficult thing in cricket. Just look at how many Pakistan have gone through. Misbah the only real solidity they had.