• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Can we just fire this muppet of a coach. He has well and truly run this team into the ground
It's particularly galling because he got his contract extension on the back of a thoroughly middling performance at the 2023 World Cup by NZ's greatest ever ODI side (a performance largely carried by a player two separate sources have suggested Stead does not have a good relationship with). Since then NZ has

a) Nearly lost a test to South Africa D
b) Been steamrolled by Australia
c) Been knocked out of the T20 World Cup at the earliest possible stage
d) Is in the process of getting blanked 0-5 in a tour of the subcontinent.

Every NZ fan who knows anything about the sport knew that Stead was not the right man to take the team forward as the class of '08 aged out and a new team needed to be built. Stu Wells had to twist his arm just to bring Rachin and O'Rourke into the side. If Steady had his way Nicholls and Wagner would still be headlining the team.

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Day 1 of the second test of a 5 test tour and the wheels are already coming off in a big way. This is shaping up to be a very chastening experience for NZ's leadership group.
Yeah there’s time to turn it around of course, but just not looking like a side needing to square the series - team selection, fielding and overall discipline.

The annoying thing is this mini-session with the new ball has undone the one thing NZ managed well today, keeping the run scoring relatively under control.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I see that this test is scheduled to go 26-30 September, but the first test vs India isn't until 16 October in Bengaluru. I hope there is some sort of warm-up game between now and then.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Looking as an outsider, it seems an illogically balanced team from a bowling perspective. Quite why you feel the need to have neither fish nor fowl Santner there I don't know. He's never had a good record as a bowler, but seemingly only provides support batting as well, a 'no rounder' as I've seen this forum describe such a player. Then you have Southee who is clearly on his last legs as a player. I can't say that I know so much about who looks promising as a batsman who is not part of the current squad, but the overuse of support spin seems nuts, Galle or otherwise as this Sri Lankan batting lineup appears to be more than capable of smacking this lot to kingdom come.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Kamindu is pure class. Cashing in again. Great player.
Yeah, really cool to have a guy coming in and seizing the initiative like he has these 2 tests. Adds heft to a lineup which otherwise relies heavily on the usual suspects. Pointer to NZ on what moving Phillips up the order may achieve.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Looking as an outsider, it seems an illogically balanced team from a bowling perspective. Quite why you feel the need to have neither fish nor fowl Santner there I don't know. He's never had a good record as a bowler, but seemingly only provides support batting as well, a 'no rounder' as I've seen this forum describe such a player. Then you have Southee who is clearly on his last legs as a player. I can't say that I know so much about who looks promising as a batsman who is not part of the current squad, but the overuse of support spin seems nuts, Galle or otherwise as this Sri Lankan batting lineup appears to be more than capable of smacking this lot to kingdom come.
Tbf it's not like NZ is stacked with top level spin bowling talent. Sodhi has been given a million chances in tests and never really come good. Santner did alright on NZ's last tour of Bangladesh which is why he got the gig here, but those were square turners were all you had to do was land the ball in the right place and wait for something to happen. Phillips in all honesty probably has a decent claim to being the best spinner in the country on recent form.

NZ domestic pitches have moved away from the balanced surfaces that fostered the development of guys like Ajaz and Sommerville back in 2012-2018 and have become more like the test match pitches - verdant green on day 1 and gradually flattening out to a road by day 4. The only other spinners who tend to make the starting XI for domestic sides consistently now are other 'no-rounders' (Rippon, Bracewell, Younghusband etc) who I don't think would have much success in these conditions. Adi Ashok has made a bright start to his career for Auckland but his last season was interrupted by injury, and in any event Stead probably reckons he needs another 8 or 9 seasons of domestic cricket before he's worth taking a punt on.

Last edited:

mackembhoy

International Regular
Kamindu is pure class. Cashing in again. Great player.
What on earth were they thinking batting him 7 against us. More daft they had a keeper in the top 3 too.

Get experience in a hard place to bat is likely to yield better results. So that was probably the only logic.

He's on 873 in his 13th innings, has the opportunity to equal the Don as second fastest to 1000.

thierry henry

International Coach
Santner is basically there as our second best spinner right? I think this idea he’s a misguided bits and pieces selection is a red herring. If anything he’s a misguided selection because Sodhi, Bracewell, Ashok, Phillips elevated to frontline spinner (which tbh at this stage would almost just be formalising the existing arrangement), or whoever else, would be a better spinner

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What on earth were they thinking batting him 7 against us. More daft they had a keeper in the top 3 too.

Get experience in a hard place to bat is likely to yield better results. So that was probably the only logic.

He's on 873 in his 13th innings, has the opportunity to equal the Don as second fastest to 1000.

He just looks like he has more time than anyone else in the side, reminds me of Sanga and Mahela in a good side as they just looked a class above.

A big call but he looks like he could easily be a member of the next big 3/4 that comes along, Brook, Pant, Kamindu and Ravindra all look amazing players. Going to be fun watching them in the coming years.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Looking forward to that series , I think for the first time we go to South Africa having a better batting line up pedigree wise than the South Africans.
SL have a decent shot at making Finals too. If they go onto win this game which looks likely.
I reckon they need to win 1 test in SA at least (can be done looking at venues and current form) and then all comes down to BGT and Australia tour of SL.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
SL have a decent shot at making Finals too. If they go onto win this game which looks likely.
I reckon they need to win 1 test in SA at least (can be done looking at venues and current form) and then all comes down to BGT and Australia tour of SL.
Still a small chance England can do it, although having lost the last Test against Sri Lanka, the highest % of points we can reach is 57.9, which is less than what Australia are currently on, but they have the BGT coming up and a tricky looking tour to Sri Lanka. Fail to win any and I think that’s just about it for us. Sri Lanka have given themselves a right chance, if we don’t make it hope they do, although it won’t be easy against Australia and away in SA