• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

jcas0167

International Debutant
All jokes aside, Mitchell does really drop a hell of a lot of catches, and it has been very costly.

‘The Black Caps lost the toss for the eighth time in their last nine tests then spent the first day of the second test against Sri Lanka struggling to make an impact.
Three catches were put down off the bowling of Will O’Rourke, while a clear-cut stumping was missed off Ajaz Patel as the hosts finished the day at 306-3.
Dimuth Karunaratne was put down by Daryl Mitchell off Will O’Rourke in the fourth over of the day, and would have been stumped off Ajaz Patel in the 13th over, but for a blunder by Tom Blundell.
O’Rourke wasn’t able to replicate his first-innings feats from last week’s first test and was further frustrated in the 84th over, when Mitchell put down a sharp chance off Kamindu.
A much tougher chance was put down by a flying Latham in O’Rourke’s next over when Angelo Mathews was on 72. By stumps he had added six more.’
I don't know if a pace bowler has ever been a side's first slip but Southee is probably the best slip fielder in the side now? Might as well put him there if they are going to keep picking him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez O'Rourke really is having early career Trent Boult levels of bad luck in this innings.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He will allow them to play four quicks outside of Asia, he could be a Moeen upgrade.
Absolutely. There's just a million reasons he's the guy, who's almost first on the team sheet now. Luxury to have him in the top six, as a guy who could bat top 4 with his talent, a genuine spin option who turns it the other way from your #1 option (Ajaz), a wonderful fielder and positive presence. You don't need Bracewell, you don't need Santner, you pick your best five batsmen, Phillips, your keeper (unless he's in the top 5) then your best four bowlers, whether those are - as you say - four seamers, or Ajaz + three seamers.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I agree, it's not an enjoyable side to watch. I always think the best sides, and actually any organisation/team/business whatever, and you can see what they're about. They have a culture, a style, you can see what they're trying to do. I don't see that in this side. Are we a 'hustle for everything in the field, high energy, catches win matches' side? No. Are we ultra aggressive, happy to lose games but to win a few we wouldn't otherwise? No. Do we grind teams into the dirt with the sort of dogma of 'they punch above their weight' that's been attributed to us? Also, no.
Need a leader with the ambition/drive to change up the status quo or die trying (McCullum), or a coach who isn’t averse to phasing out senior players past their sell by date (think Rixon pulling the plug on Morrison /Greatbatch /Patel not to mention a deadweight captain, or Bracewell shaking up the ODI side though I found his methods too destructive at the time).

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Need a leader with the ambition/drive to change up the status quo or die trying (McCullum), or a coach who isn’t averse to phasing out senior players past their sell by date (think Rixon pulling the plug on Morrision/Greatbatch/Patel, or Bracewell shaking up the ODI side though I found his methods too destructive at the time).
Ab-so-effing-lutely. This is 100% what we need.

But we'll probably get a company man, like Stead, or *checks domestic coaches list* BJ Watling (sorry BJ, you are).

anonymouskefe

School Boy/Girl Captain
Absolutely. There's just a million reasons he's the guy, who's almost first on the team sheet now. Luxury to have him in the top six, as a guy who could bat top 4 with his talent, a genuine spin option who turns it the other way from your #1 option (Ajaz), a wonderful fielder and positive presence. You don't need Bracewell, you don't need Santner, you pick your best five batsmen, Phillips, your keeper (unless he's in the top 5) then your best four bowlers, whether those are - as you say - four seamers, or Ajaz + three seamers.
The only shame is hes not a luxury in the top 6 because someone keeps batting Blundell whos averaging something like 10 since england above him

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Wonderful stuff Kamindu. In the first test it was a counterpunching effort, here he showed the ability to put the boot in to a tiring side. What a find for SL.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The only shame is hes not a luxury in the top 6 because someone keeps batting Blundell whos averaging something like 10 since england above him
He is, he's a bonafide Test 6. Could even bat 5, no trouble. But I like him at 6-7 because then it's a clear line in the sand that you pick your best 5 batsmen, then GP or your WK/bat, then the best 4 bowlers. None of this Santner, Bracewell BS where you hedge your bets on a guy who averages 20 with the bat and 40 with the ball, because they might do a job one Test in 2-3 series'.