• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
Considering what happened with Bairstow and Malan, it doesn’t really make any difference what type of contract they are offered does it? Kid’s been picked for Sri Lanka and now Pakistan, surely with a view to having a go on those bouncy pitches Down Under, so you’d think whatever contract he is given, he’ll be in the squad going forward
Do you think hull certainty for ashes bro🤔🧐

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
Duplicated post better suited for Pakistan series thread.

But while I'm here. We need Joe Root in our white ball sides.

I think we've regressed as general rule in both ODI/T20 sides into just slog as much as possible. Need an anchor in both sides.
Root is underated white ball player still remember his awesome knock in mumbai wt20 2016 played like peak chris gayle and abd😍

kevinw

International 12th Man
Hull and Bashir were both 'from nowhere' selections but with Bashir, it wasn't as much of a risk as it was a tour of India where three spinners were needed, and besides Leach there were no clear options. TBH, I don't think the brains trust even rates Leach particularly. With Hull, there are loads of seamers who would be better choices in the short and long term.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain
Hull and Bashir were both 'from nowhere' selections but with Bashir, it wasn't as much of a risk as it was a tour of India where three spinners were needed, and besides Leach there were no clear options. TBH, I don't think the brains trust even rates Leach particularly. With Hull, there are loads of seamers who would be better choices in the short and long term.
Averages are irrelevant to the management of course, but whatever mitigation there is for Hull’s sub-par stats before getting a call-up, there’s even more for Bashir considering the County Championship is not a good place to develop spin bowlers, and I think even this summer he’s looked pretty decent, definitely something to work with. Think the management would love to pick the two youngsters in Bashir and Ahmed, but in fairness to Leach, up until this summer, he’s been first choice for a few years now and Ahmed isn’t on good form

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
Guardian reported:

"The ECB will offer fewer long-term deals this year as it has been left to count the cost of some expensive mistakes 12 months ago. Jonny Bairstow signed a two-year deal worth £800,000 a year last October but has not played for England since the T20 World Cup in June and has little chance of a recall, the ECB paying him more than £1m not to play.
nice work if you can get it, laughing all the way to the bank, money for old rope etc

kevinw

International 12th Man
Averages are irrelevant to the management of course, but whatever mitigation there is for Hull’s sub-par stats before getting a call-up, there’s even more for Bashir considering the County Championship is not a good place to develop spin bowlers, and I think even this summer he’s looked pretty decent, definitely something to work with. Think the management would love to pick the two youngsters in Bashir and Ahmed, but in fairness to Leach, up until this summer, he’s been first choice for a few years now and Ahmed isn’t on good form
I'd rather have Ahmed than Hartley, who I think needs rank turners to be effective whereas on road pitches he won't have many weapons in his armoury. But he's bowled little this Summer and Dawson and Carson would possibly be better shouts from their season performances. But a leftie is a point of difference given we are playing OB and SLA bowlers.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I think what is a little overlooked with Leach is that in the Stokes/McCullum era, he averages about 38 in test cricket, indeed it is 38.63. They backed him for a while and it's not like he bowled terribly and he did improve a tad on just being basically a 4th innings bowler in helpful conditions but he doesn't put enough revs on the ball. This was the feeling a few years ago by all accounts and way before Stokes/McCullum. Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

I agree with Langleybury re Bashir, he bowled decently enough across the summer test matches to deserve to still be in the squad. Yes, there are bowlers who have got success in the county championship such as Dawson. However, I think England's management see much in common with Leach in that he's a guy who will probably struggle against very good players of slow bowling and they would go on the basic attributes an individual bowler have that they can develop. I agree with Josh Hull, that it is rather bizarre that a guy who hasn't bowled very much in first class cricket as a seamer, is being entrusted with a lot of time and effort, when it is far from clear that he's even close to being a real option in test cricket. I mean, that runup, he's not Michael Holding exactly!

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Who will get a central contract at the end of September?

3 year contracts last year
Brook
Root
Wood

2 year contracts
Ahmed
Archer
Atkinson
Bairstow
Buttler
Carse
Crawley
Curran
Duckett
Livingstone
Pope
Potts
Rashid
Tongue
Woakes

1 year contracts
Anderson Hull
Ali Bashir
Foakes Smith
Leach
Malan Cox
Robinson Stone
Stokes - Now has a 2 year contract
Topley

England Development Contracts
Fisher
Mahmood
Turner

With all the new names in the ODI/T20 side it will be too early to add any names like Bethell, Mousley, Jacks, etc
I would guess Smith if not Bashir may be in line for a 2 year contract.
Not sure that Hull and Cox will get deals, the ECB seem good at ensuring players are rested / don't play for their county, regardless.
Suspect most of the 2 year contracts like Woakes, Pope, Livingstone, Duckett, Crawley, Buttler, Atkinson, Ahmed and Archer may have their contracts rolled so that they still have 2 years. Tongue, like Bairstow will stay in place so becoming a one year deal, maybe Potts and Carse also.

FBU

International Debutant
I would guess Smith if not Bashir may be in line for a 2 year contract.
Not sure that Hull and Cox will get deals, the ECB seem good at ensuring players are rested / don't play for their county, regardless.
Suspect most of the 2 year contracts like Woakes, Pope, Livingstone, Duckett, Crawley, Buttler, Atkinson, Ahmed and Archer may have their contracts rolled so that they still have 2 years. Tongue, like Bairstow will stay in place so becoming a one year deal, maybe Potts and Carse also.
I think Hull will get one being selected in all 3 forms

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Genuine question for England and Wales fans on here. Who do you think is going to be your wicket taking threats out here next Ashes, and how much test cricket will they get before then? I'd think the likes of Woakes will be locks at home, but I can't see him being a force out here for the tests. Archer always seems to be a big risk becuase of injury, though I would bring him if he's fit. Which of the other blokes do you see doing well out here? Your spin options look a bit bare - Bashir seems ok at best, but tbh it's not easy here for any finger spinners.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Genuine question for England and Wales fans on here. Who do you think is going to be your wicket taking threats out here next Ashes, and how much test cricket will they get before then? I'd think the likes of Woakes will be locks at home, but I can't see him being a force out here for the tests. Archer always seems to be a big risk becuase of injury, though I would bring him if he's fit. Which of the other blokes do you see doing well out here? Your spin options look a bit bare - Bashir seems ok at best, but tbh it's not easy here for any finger spinners.
Answers on a postcard.

Questions marks over Wood, Archer, Stone, Tongue and Atkinson as all have struggled over their fitness.

Add Stokes in too there who could easily break down again from a bowling perspective. Plus he's our fifth bowler anyway.

Woakes would be terrible. As I'm sure we will see if he plays in Pakistan/New Zealand this winter.

Robinson is persona non grata it seems.

Potts and Carse I've generally no idea how they'd do in Australia. Both were poor with the Kookaburra on a very flat one at Edgbaston earlier in the season(albeit Carse had the betting thing hanging over his head which affected his performance, but he wasn't great with the ball in 2023 in Division Two as well)

Whoever our spinner is will get targeted and I've no idea if they will have what is needed in those conditions.

When most of the attack could be potentially playing their first test in Australia it's gong to be a daunting prospect.

Jimmy shouldn't have been retired. I still think he should have been allowed to play until such time he was not worth his place in the side.

I'd have had more faith he was still capable of being fit and able to play than most of the other options we have.

Then throw in that our batting side have learnt absolutely nothing from mistakes in the 2023 Ashes . Were set up really well :laugh:

But we've got 12 tests matches in between so who knows what we will look like come November 2025

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
If fit being the operative words... but yes if we're going to take the "let's pick four guys who bowl a bit like Chris Tremlett" approach then all of those plus Pennington and J Overton fit the bill. Atkinson and Stone can bat a bit too. Bit puzzled by the selection of Hull, he has the physical attributes to do well in Aus but no track record to speak of in FC cricket. Fisher has had a good comeback season after injury but might not be so effective if the ball doesn't swing.

Spin wise I like the look of Archie Vaughan who is also a proper top order bat, but we'll have to see how next season goes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I doubt Woakes travels but agree with the rest of bambino's names. If Hull goes okay over the next year then he'll be there.

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
Answers on a postcard.

Questions marks over Wood, Archer, Stone, Tongue and Atkinson as all have struggled over their fitness.

Add Stokes in too there who could easily break down again from a bowling perspective. Plus he's our fifth bowler anyway.

Woakes would be terrible. As I'm sure we will see if he plays in Pakistan/New Zealand this winter.

Robinson is persona non grata it seems.

Potts and Carse I've generally no idea how they'd do in Australia. Both were poor with the Kookaburra on a very flat one at Edgbaston earlier in the season(albeit Carse had the betting thing hanging over his head which affected his performance, but he wasn't great with the ball in 2023 in Division Two as well)

Whoever our spinner is will get targeted and I've no idea if they will have what is needed in those conditions.

When most of the attack could be potentially playing their first test in Australia it's gong to be a daunting prospect.

Jimmy shouldn't have been retired. I still think he should have been allowed to play until such time he was not worth his place in the side.

I'd have had more faith he was still capable of being fit and able to play than most of the other options we have.

Then throw in that our batting side have learnt absolutely nothing from mistakes in the 2023 Ashes . Were set up really well :laugh:

But we've got 12 tests matches in between so who knows what we will look like come November 2025
[/QUOTE
What happened to josh tounge? Why he didn't play single test during english summer