• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
@wpdavid so not only have you admitted that Salt>>>Jacks, now Lancs hand you guys the title on a platter in the same week I renew my membership*
*inb4 Somerset chase it down tomorrow
Naturally I didn't acknowledge this yesterday in case Rew went big and the rest of the lower order stuck around long enough to see Somerset home. Yes, I'm pretty keen on Lancashire right now after they barely put up a fight at The Oval yet somehow managed to see off our closest rivals. The Lancs supporters must have mixed feelings about this week's win. Pleased that they're not officially down yet, but where on earth has this sort of performance been for most of the season? And yeah, it's nice to win the title of course.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Boring as it is, it'll be another well deserved championship win for Surrey. They are the best side in England by a distance when it comes to four day cricket.
Must say I've been particularly impressed with their recruitment from other counties. They seem to be good at spotting unfulfilled potential and have managed to do great things with the likes of Jamie Overton, Jordan Clark, Cameron Steel etc.
Especially Clark from the three you mentioned. Overton, otoh, has barely played. Foakes is another case in point actually. Perhaps that's true of Worrall as well. I'm open to correction, but I don't know whether he was doing as well at his previous county. But I may be completely wrong about that. Something else we do well is persuading our internationals and franchise players to turn out when they're available. Pope's no-show this week is a rare exception.

Anyway, huge credit to Alec Stewart for the job he's done over the years. Unless things have changed, he's standing down now to help look after his wife as she's being treated for cancer. Let's hope she makes a full recovery

Last edited:

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Middlesex looking like they'll face another season in div 2.

Bamber leaving to one of the big test ground counties, Andersson also on his way out. looks shaky as hell.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
by all accounts he (TCurran) took plenty at the game last week.
Probably, after events during and after the game there a few years back when his post-match tweet was less than diplomatic about the amount of abuse he'd taken during that game. Because obviously those spectators have the right to direct all manner of abuse at a player without any sort of comeback whatsoever. Peasants indeed.

The other thing that needs saying is kudos to the guy for playing his first red ball game in ages (he'd retired from the format a year or two ago) to support his team in a potentially vital game knowing full well what he was likely to have to put up with there.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
What did TC do to upset people?
He directed an Instagram post to Somerset fans along the lines of 'what a difference a week makes' after they lost to Lancashire yesterday.
Not a great look, and I don't think he should have posted it, but there is plenty of history.

Here's a summary of what happened six years ago.
Curran's response when he reached the dressing room? "Comfortably the worst crowd I've ever experienced today. A complete embarassment to Somerset CCC and all their players (who played a great game and are very good men). A bunch of peasants setting a terrible example for the many young kids I saw in the crowd today. Such a shame!"

TC actually deleted the message pretty quickly, but that wasn't enough to appease the folks down the A303. Somerset apparently carried out some sort on 'investigation' into crowd behaviour during the match in question and, surprise surprise, found no evidence of anything untoward. Although they did acknowledge that was proof that nothing had happened. They subsequently put out a message reminding their fans not to use abusive or discriminatory language. Interestingly, that message specifically mentioned homophobic abuse. I say that because TC tended to sport some pretty unusual haircuts in those days, so maybe that was too much for some of the spectators at Taunton.

Last edited:

mackembhoy

International Debutant
He directed an Instagram post to Somerset fans along the lines of 'what a difference a week makes' after they lost to Lancashire yesterday.
Not a great look, and I don't think he should have posted it, but there is plenty of history.

Curran's response when he reached the dressing room? "Comfortably the worst crowd I've ever experienced today. A complete embarassment to Somerset CCC and all their players (who played a great game and are very good men). A bunch of peasants setting a terrible example for the many young kids I saw in the crowd today. Such a shame!"

TC actually deleted the message pretty quickly, but that wasn't enough to appease the folks down the A303. Somerset apparently carried out some sort on 'investigation' into crowd behaviour during the match in question and, surprise surprise, found no evidence of anything untoward. Although they did acknowledge that was proof that nothing had happened. They subsequently put out a message reminding their fans not to use abusive or discriminatory language. Interestingly, that message specifically mentioned homophobic abuse. I say that because TC tended to sport some pretty unusual haircuts in those days, so maybe that was too much for some of the spectators at Taunton.
I've got no issue with a player giving it back after getting stick. Any fan getting offended at players doing that is an idiot.

But T.Curran does strike me as a bit of an arse. Like I've had plenty of players play for my football clubs that are the type of players you support if they are yours but you know they are dickheads.

I did find the clapback from the Somerset fan on twitter to his insta post funny. It was saying Curran had been banned for more games for his on field behaviour. Than games he played in Surrey three title wins.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain

Not a good look for a privately educated man that

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not a good look for a privately educated man that
Maybe not, but he was quite young, he had taken an absolute shed-load of abuse, and he did remove the comment pd quickly.
Although if I'm honest, I'm not sure what his private education has to do with anything.

My take on the matter is what offended some of the Somerset folks wasn't so much the use of the term 'peasants', but more that he'd had the temerity to call them out for their behaviour. Reminds me a bit of when Viv Richards had been verbally abused when playing for Somerset up at Headingley and complained that he had copped some racist abuse from the home fans. Yorkshire's response? To criticise Richards for complaining about the abuse. I guess visiting players really should know their place.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Maybe not, but he was quite young, he had taken an absolute shed-load of abuse, and he did remove the comment pd quickly.
Although if I'm honest, I'm not sure what his private education has to do with anything.

My take on the matter is what offended some of the Somerset folks wasn't so much the use of the term 'peasants', but more that he'd had the temerity to call them out for their behaviour. Reminds me a bit of when Viv Richards had been verbally abused when playing for Somerset up at Headingley and complained that he had copped some racist abuse from the home fans. Yorkshire's response? To criticise Richards for complaining about the abuse. I guess visiting players really should know their place.
Every team has a Steve tbf. Or maybe did. :p

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain

I don’t know what was said, and I don’t know the backgrounds of the people in the ground that day that were heckling him (suspect Somerset cricket people are a bit less posh than Home Counties cricket people on average) but it’s not a good look for a privately educated man to be sneering like that when the game is dying in state schools in this country

Yeoman

U19 Captain
One would have hoped that a man with his expensive education could come up with a more original taunt - serfs, villeins or cottars for example.

More seriously, the abuse of players by boozed up T20 spectators is occasionally a problem and needs to be clamped down on by more pro-active stewarding.

Chubb

International Regular
Curran said the quiet part out loud. We know what the ECB think of most people in the country.

He’s not the brightest, Sam seems to be a bit smarter and keeps his nose clean.