• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Domestic Season 2024

kevinw

International 12th Man
Kent were never in their game but after a positive start to the second innings, they folded like a cheap suit. Lack of decent bowling options has been an issue and they're going to need 2-3 seamers next season. But the top order have all have had less-than-middling seasons. Muyeye/Compton/DBD are a decent enough top three, but 4-6 are a serious problem in the middle order. Tough job for the new coach.

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
Are Surrey the champs if somerset dont win tomorrow? I know theyr wealth gives them a big advantage, but theyve been missing a lot of their top players for parts or most of the season, like Pope, Atkinson, Smith, both the currans, and Roach through injury. I think 6 of their 8 wins were at the oval, and Worrall has been huge for them. Maybe England should take up his offer ;) Hes 10 yrs younger than Jimmy.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Recap of the matches which are going into the 4th day

Division 1

Worcestershire are 117-5 and need 277 more runs to win, Looking like a Hampshire win
Somerset need 189 runs with 4 wickets remaining - Lancashire could pull of the great escape yet

Division 2

Glamorgan need 235 more runs to win to beat Yorkshire - Yorkshire are hot favourites for this one

Blenkinsop

U19 Vice-Captain
Boring as it is, it'll be another well deserved championship win for Surrey. They are the best side in England by a distance when it comes to four day cricket.

Must say I've been particularly impressed with their recruitment from other counties. They seem to be good at spotting unfulfilled potential and have managed to do great things with the likes of Jamie Overton, Jordan Clark, Cameron Steel etc.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Lancashire beating Somerset is massive. We could have something into next weeks games

Notts vs Warwick
Worcester vs Lancashire

Really interesting

Yeoman

U19 Captain
All going to finish very quickly this morning.

On the points system, five for a draw and 16 for a win seemed a good balance to me.

For a while now I have been unconvinced of the rationale for bonus points. They came in when we had three day cricket, lots of draws and contrived finishes. Not sure that we need them now. The only benefit that I can see is that it gives something to play for when a match is severely disrupted by the weather.

Last edited:

chris.hinton

International Captain
Tables

Division 1

Surrey 221 (Champions)
Hampshire 195
Somerset 193
Essex 179
Durham 158
Worcestershire 151
Warwickshire 146
Nottinghamshire 141
=================
Lancashire 126
Kent 85 (Relegated)

Division 2

Sussex 221 (Promoted)
Yorkshire 201
=================
Middlesex 186
Northamptonshire 152
Leicestershire 145
Gloucestershire 141
Glamorgan 128
Derbyshire 110

chris.hinton

International Captain
26th September

Division 1

Somerset vs Hampshire
Durham vs Kent
Nottinghamshire vs Warwickshire
Worcestershire vs Lancashire
Essex vs Surrey

Division 2

Glamorgan vs Gloucestershire
Leicestershire vs Derbyshire
Sussex vs Middlesex
Yorkshire vs Northamptonshire

Third_Man

State 12th Man
The fact that Warks are 20 points above Lancs despite having won only one game to Lancashire's three suggests that the points weighting for wins and draws still isn't quite right.
The irony, with the benefit of hindsight, for Lancashire is this:

Last season the ECB experimented with 5pts for a draw. Mark Chilton was a vocal opponent as it was so difficult to force a result at Old Trafford. He was strongly in favour of reverting back to 8pts which of course the ECB agreed to do.

Had this season remained at 5pts for a draw Warwickshire would only be 8pts not 20pts ahead and very much in trouble next week. A loser between Notts and Warwicks would really be catchable by Lancs. Warwickshire have 8 draws compared to Lancs' 4 so would have 12 points less.