• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***official***Bangladesh tour of india - 19september -12 october 2024

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Rohit and Kohli are possibly playing their last WTC cycle. I don't see them surviving past the next one year playing like this.

Their decline and that of the batting line as a whole probably means that India will have a really tough time winning any test match in Australia.
Kohli is still India's best bat away comfortably. Proved that in South Africa. I believe he will find his footings before Australia.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Both those luminaries did not have it in them to score meaningful runs on the last AUS tour itself. But somehow things transpired in India's favor. Still, it's good that people are stumbling onto the fact that Rohit but particularly Kohli are WAY past their use-by date. Only the other day some determined Kohli fanboy was correcting me that Kohli is in some grand form right now and that he'd take his average over 50 by the time AUS tour concludes.
If they can't play on these slower tracks, I don't hold much hope on quicker tracks of Australia.

Same batters struggled in Sri Lanka. They are simply old, plus have achieved their goal of winning a WC. I am expecting similar situation to 2011...

Simply put, oldies just aren't sharp enough anymore for high quality away tour. They are so prone to making fatal errors even after starting well. Typical of old players.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly people acting like one match against Bangladesh at home is some great reflector of quality instead of his last series away in South African hell......
That was 9 months ago. It's irrelevant now.

They are getting old! Over the last 25 years, I have seen a number of great players in their mid to late 30s still "look" great batting-wise but they just start making critical mistakes every here and there. Just not sharp enough to compile big innings with any kind of regularity. Reflexes slow down a tad and errors creep in. And motivation/determination also becomes a factor after finally achieving their goal of delivering a WC. Plus Kohli's priorities have changed. He's moved out of India and picks and chooses his games. He is so NOT the player he was 4-5 years ago. That guy was very hungry/ very determined for results. He'd find a way to succeed at any cost. Not the same player.

Last edited:

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kohli is still India's best bat away comfortably. Proved that in South Africa. I believe he will find his footings before Australia.
Pant, even though he hasn't played tests for a significant time is probably our best away bat and the best bet for runs in the upcoming BGT. Kohli, I still believe has it in him to rediscover his mojo and run scoring form but his technical flaws, which were ever present, are being highlighted much more with progressing age. Rohit is still fine on most pitches i believe and would expect a decent 35-40 avg from him on the Aus tour. I expect more from Gill though while Jaiswal is majorly untested away from home.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
It was only 2 tests and Kohli flopped in one , man is acting like Kohli hit triple hundreds in that series , he scored 1 50 in 4 innings in SA ..

There is so much talent in India that's not getting a chance ..Pretty sad !
Pretty disingenuous. Did you even watched the series. Kohli was India's second best batsman in the 1st innings of 1st Test, 2nd innings knock was genuinely great and he was the top scorer in the 2nd Tests' 1st innings as well ..... Given that the pitches were hardly playable, especially the second one; I will say that's pretty good. Also ignored that in his last 10 Tests he averages 47, counting this one.
And yeah, we have 10 Tendulkars waiting for a chance.....

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

International Captain
That was 9 months ago. It's irrelevant now.

They are getting old! Over the last 25 years, I have seen a number of great players in their mid to late 30s still "look" great batting-wise but they just start making critical mistakes every here and there. Just not sharp enough to compile big innings with any kind of regularity. Reflexes slow down a tad and errors creep in. And motivation/determination also becomes a factor after finally achieving their goal of delivering a WC. Plus Kohli's priorities have changed. He's moved out of India and picks and chooses his games. He is so NOT the player he was 4-5 years ago. That guy was very hungry/ very determined for results. He'd find a way to succeed at any cost. Not the same player.
Don't necessarily disagree Kohli is no longer the same player. Disagree that we have better replacements especially away. The guy last year had one of the best World Cups of all time and as well averages 47 over the last 10 games, including this one. The SA series was the last India away series, and most of them were pretty awful. A much bigger challenge than the recent England with hardly any bowlers able to trouble our batters. 36 is not really that old too..... I get the R&R, I myself think these two outs are in; but you guys are overreacting a bit imo.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Pant, even though he hasn't played tests for a significant time is probably our best away bat and the best bet for runs in the upcoming BGT. Kohli, I still believe has it in him to rediscover his mojo and run scoring form but his technical flaws, which were ever present, are being highlighted much more with progressing age. Rohit is still fine on most pitches i believe and would expect a decent 35-40 avg from him on the Aus tour. I expect more from Gill though while Jaiswal is majorly untested away from home.
May I ask you; Kohli atleast has the best run by anyone in the last WC and had a good SA tour; as well averages 47 over the last 10 games from 2023. What has even Pant done since coming back? At the end of the day, I won't say you are wrong, I have high hopes for Pant as well in BGT, but can't back with any stats. My problem is with people acting like Kohli is done for for having a bad Test vs Bangladesh is pretty extreme.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Pretty disingenuous. Did you even watched the series. Kohli was India's second best batsman in the 1st innings of 1st Test, 2nd innings knock was genuinely great and he was the top scorer in the 2nd Tests' 1st innings as well ..... Given that the pitches were hardly playable, especially the second one; I will say that's pretty good. Also ignored that in his last 10 Tests he averages 47, counting this one.
And yeah, we have 10 Tendulkars waiting for a chance.....
We are judging by ATG standards not your eyetest. A great series for elite batsmen is not 1 50 in 4 innings ..

You have guys that are averaging 60+ in domestic cricket that are being blocked in the national team , there is a clique in your national team guys like Rahul, Gill , Kohli , Rohit that get more chances than others.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
May I ask you; Kohli atleast has the best run by anyone in the last WC and had a good SA tour; as well averages 47 over the last 10 games from 2023. What has even Pant done since coming back? At the end of the day, I won't say you are wrong, I have high hopes for Pant as well in BGT, but can't back with any stats. My problem is with people acting like Kohli is done for for having a bad Test vs Bangladesh is pretty extreme.
I never said he is done and obviously since Pant hasn't played for a while I can't back it up with stats. However, Pant was doing really well before his injury and was arguably our best bat. At the moment, if I had to put money on one, I'm putting it on Pant. Not to say Kohli can't prove me wrong. Hoping he does.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
We are judging by ATG standards not your eyetest. A great series for elite batsmen is not 1 50 in 4 innings ..

You have guys that are averaging 60+ in domestic cricket that are being blocked in the national team , there is a clique in your national team guys like Rahul, Gill , Kohli , Rohit that get more chances than others.
Lol. Jadeja averaged 60 something in domestic circuit. The level of opposition is too varied to make a call based on average. You have teams like Mumbai, Gujarat and Bengal with World Class bowling attacks and teams like Sikkim, Nagpur and Arunachal Pradesh having a hard time fielding 11 players...... I can't think of any domestic bat but Sarfaraz who should get into the team. And regarding SA, here are the 4 innings:

38 - 2nd Highest score. Was playing good but should had done more.

76- A legitimately great innings while everyone else crumbled. Only lost his wicket as he ran out of partners.

46- Highest score of the innings before the batting crumbled. It was a **** pitch and for context, 55 was the total of SA 1st innings

12- Chasing 80 odd, was bashing like everyone else. When he got out, the match was already won.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I never said he is done and obviously since Pant hasn't played for a while I can't back it up with stats. However, Pant was doing really well before his injury and was arguably our best bat. At the moment, if I had to put money on one, I'm putting it on Pant. Not to say Kohli can't prove me wrong. Hoping he does.
That's fair. Was just stating that there really isn't anything wrong with betting on Kohli, like everyone was making out to be.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Akash Deep continues to impress. We're taking a gun attack to Australia this year if everyone remains fit :ph34r:. Can't think of a more well-rounded set of bowlers in living memory. Bumrah, Siraj, Shami, Deep (?), Ashwin, Jadeja, KD...that's insane depth and variety.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Akash Deep continues to impress. We're taking a gun attack to Australia this year if everyone remains fit :ph34r:. Can't think of a more well-rounded set of bowlers in living memory. Bumrah, Siraj, Shami, Deep (?), Ashwin, Jadeja, KD...that's insane depth and variety.
The time we had Sharma and Umesh as well with Bumrah I think. Not sure if Bhuvi overlapped with them

govinda indian fan

U19 12th Man
Kohli must retire from test asap cant continue to embarrass himself and country with further failures sai sudharsan sarfraz padikkal dhruv jurel and riyan parag are there to replace him and idiot kl our bowling is gun but have worst batting🤦‍♂️