• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
NO NO NO
It would be horrific if he even attempted this feat, and an insult to the great man himself.
400 would be a fair target, but to push on after that would be insane. I'm sure I won't be alone in saying that hopefully he quits after our next summer.
Honestly, I would put some money on that he will attempt to get to 2026-27.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Sometimes even the worst bowler in the team ends up with a bag of wickets every now and then, making it hard for anyone to drop them.

NZ has to pray that he gets almost nothing in the coming 6-7 Tests so that he is forced to retire at the end of England series, otherwise he will hang on and on.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

They've softened the title from this morning which IIRC basically said he was under pressure, and now you have to get a few paragraphs in for the critique:

Southee has 380 as he prepares to lead his side in two tests in Galle this week and next, and in three tests in India starting on October 16, but the rate at which he has been claiming scalps has slowed dramatically in the past 12 months.

The 35-year-old hit 370 in the last test of the 2022-23 home summer, a win over Sri Lanka at the Basin Reserve in Wellington, but has only taken 10 wickets in six matches since then, finishing with more than a single wicket in an innings only once in that time.

His form was especially poor at home earlier this year, where he finished with a meagre six wickets from four tests – one of the worst returns by a Kiwi seamer in a home summer in the history of the game.

If he bounces back and takes wickets in Sri Lanka and India at the rate he has historically, Southee will reach the 400-wicket milestone by the time the run of five tests in eight weeks comes to an end in early November.

But if he continues to be as ineffective as he was last summer – even allowing for the usefulness of his experience in subcontinent conditions, and the challenges of being a seam bowler in them – he will head home for three tests against England prior to Christmas with his test spot in question.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh definitely. Hence why we need a new coach now. Does anyone think under new management Southee is playing that long, no chance. He would’ve been gone last summer
^ And this from one of Southee's staunches fans and defenders for so many years, and this penny dropped for you a couple of years ago, yet Stead still doesn't get it. SMH.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who do you think would replace southee as captain latham or Phillips Daryl Mitchell?
I still don't get why KW was retained as white ball skipper, and not red ball, but that train has long left the station & who knows maybe that was his decision.

Of those you mentioned, I'd like any of those 3 above Timmy obviously, but would be leaning on Mitchell for a couple of years in which time Ravindra should be ready for a decent stint, assuming he wants to job because he definitely has a good cricketing brain and feel for the game.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Can any nz fan tell at which position will rachin bat @number 4 or 5
While it’s not always the best idea to look at replacements which slot into a template, Rachin brings a similar sort of game to the table at no.4 that Taylor did. In approach he even reminds me of Ross circa 2008-09 (including the tendency to give his wicket away) when he was the same age. Will Young should ideally have been gunning for that spot in the long term, but that ship has sailed.

Moss

Latham is vc, so is perhaps 1st choice. Blundell is another who may be a possible short-term option.
Important few tests coming up for both. Latham to prove he can at least continue to pull his weight in the subcontinent while being less consistent against threatening attacks elsewhere, and Blundell for pretty much the opposite reason.

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
I still don't get why KW was retained as white ball skipper, and not red ball, but that train has long left the station & who knows maybe that was his decision.

Of those you mentioned, I'd like any of those 3 above Timmy obviously, but would be leaning on Mitchell for a couple of years in which time Ravindra should be ready for a decent stint, assuming he wants to job because he definitely has a good cricketing brain and feel for the game.
Think Phillips can be a good captain

govinda indian fan

U19 Debutant
Important few tests coming up for both. Latham to prove he can at least continue to pull his weight in the subcontinent while being less consistent against threatening attacks elsewhere, and Blundell for pretty much the opposite reason.
Latham and kane would be key for you guys if you are gonna win series in india

Moss

Conway
Latham
Williamson
Rachin
Mitchell
Blundell
Philips
Santner
Southee
Henry
Ajaz

Would be my predicted xi for NZ
Yes sounds about right, though there’s an outside chance they’ll consider Macewell over Santner to have an offie partner Ajaz. Phillips is probably a tier below Macewell as a bowler but this XI is still what NZ should go in with.