• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Sri Lanka

James

Cricket Web Owner
Wed, 18 Sep '24
1st Test • Galle, September 18 - 22, 2024, New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka v New Zealand

Thu, 26 Sep '24
2nd Test • Galle, September 26 - 30, 2024, New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka v New Zealand

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
I realize my post above is rather vague. Elections are scheduled for the 21st of September here and there could be curfews implemented across the country immediately following that. Hopefully no riots or incidents of violence, but it's not out of the question.

There will be no cricket on the 21st and it's called a rest day, so the first Test can pretty much go on for 6 days. My guess is they don't want the teams to then travel through the country and head for or through potentially more volatile venues. I question why they scheduled it during this time in the first place, but under the circumstances, playing both matches in Galle probably makes sense just in case.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The last 2 tours over there have been 1-1 with SL winning the 1st test in Galle, and NZ the 2nd in Colombo. Real shame that there weren't even 2 days vs Afghanistan to give players time in the middle.

Galle can swing, so I wonder if we'll try 3 seamers rather than 2.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I realize my post above is rather vague. Elections are scheduled for the 21st of September here and there could be curfews implemented across the country immediately following that. Hopefully no riots or incidents of violence, but it's not out of the question.

There will be no cricket on the 21st and it's called a rest day, so the first Test can pretty much go on for 6 days. My guess is they don't want the teams to then travel through the country and head for or through potentially more volatile venues. I question why they scheduled it during this time in the first place, but under the circumstances, playing both matches in Galle probably makes sense just in case.
What's likely to happen in these elections? I presume there's a reasonable amount of disenchantment.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The 2012 tour of India and Sri Lanka was when Tim Southee really arrived as a test bowler. Have a sneaking suspicion we could end up seeing his departure by the end of this one.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Reckon he'll play the home summer as well before pulling the pin. Probably would be a better time to go out tbf
He'll also be hoping to get the 400 wickets, something he'll still be well short of after India.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 2012 tour of India and Sri Lanka was when Tim Southee really arrived as a test bowler. Have a sneaking suspicion we could end up seeing his departure by the end of this one.
Can't see it unless it's Southee's own decision. Stead's made it crystal clear he won't drop him, even though he was far and away our weakest & least effective bowler last summer.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see it unless it's Southee's own decision. Stead's made it crystal clear he won't drop him, even though he was far and away our weakest & least effective bowler last summer.
I honestly think that if Southee has a bad tour he'll pull stumps, or at the very least announce his intention to retire this summer. He's not got the mentality of a Wagner, and I remember in one or two of his interviews last summer he sounded pretty down in the dumps about his performances.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Too bad no test at the P’Sara, not just because NZ have tended to do well there but it’s a ground with some real history and is pretty much neglected today.

Would like to think NZ are good enough for at least one win but will find it harder against SL than Bangladesh last year, only Phillips and KW really came to terms with the conditions then. Sri Lanka are playing some pretty good cricket as we saw against England, and probably have the better of the two allround attacks.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly think that if Southee has a bad tour he'll pull stumps, or at the very least announce his intention to retire this summer. He's not got the mentality of a Wagner, and I remember in one or two of his interviews last summer he sounded pretty down in the dumps about his performances.
The issue is, Tim has nothing better to do. It's cricket, or nothing at the moment. Franchises aren't beating down his door. Playing for NZ is his best meal ticket, and the coach has clearly shown he won't drop him. I don't have the inclination to think Tim is going before he wants to. Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me if he tried to get to 2026-27 in Australia, citing Jimmy Anderson as inspiration.

Guessing at 4 given that's where he got his 240
Early bird gets the worm, you're up before me!