• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

T20 Blast 2024 (Started on 30th May)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pope could make a real case for himself as a limited over bat, plays so little of it, probably needs to perform when he plays.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think the next couple of wickets will be key. If Evans and Smith last long enough, they'll score quickly enough to set a challenging total. If they go cheaply, I suspect Somerset won't be chasing too many. And I wonder if Burns will really bat ahead of TCurran. I'd prefer him not to.

EDIT
Smith didn't last long, did he. Somerset right on top now. Burns batting ahead of Evans and Curran is odd unless he's come in as a pinch blocker to try and prevent any further losses in the next few overs.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That man Gregory again. But if the next few batters do what they're capable of, Burns' dismissal may not be such a bad thing.

Cue another 2 or 3 quick wickets of course.

Smart move to bring back Gregory for the new batsman, I think.

EDIT
Or to remove Sibley, that works too. Good knock by Dominic again. I don't think too many folks foresaw his emergence as a viable T20 option.
This really could go either way now. The remaining guys could hit another 50+, or we could be dismissed for under 130.

Yup, there goes Curran, and this is looking like Somerset's game to lose.
These guys are making the ball do lots; they're probably just perfect for the conditions.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
153 feels a bit under par, but who knows.
Brilliant bowling by Somerset's MF seamers, and interesting that Coverton didn't bowl his full quota.
Based on the movement these guys found, I'll predict that Worrall's opening spell will be key. Maybe Clark too. I don't think Curran and Jordan will be as effective as Davey, Gregory and Ball. The other key may be how Steel goes. He's been poor in the last couple of county games, so his confidence may not be all there if the batters go after him today. I suspect that Lawrence may send down a couple of overs.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Dickson and Rew making sure they make the most of Surrey's sub-standard spinners' first overs. It feels a very different game now.

EDIT
Sure enough, Steel's second over is going for plenty. No surprise to anyone who saw his stream of full tosses and half trackers in the last two CC games. Odd (as in brain dead) captaincy from Jordan, but obviously he doesn't play in the CC so may well be completely unaware of Steel's recent lack of form and confidence.

It will be a major ****-up if Somerset don't win the game from here. Jordan's bowling about as useful as his batting and captaincy today.

Last edited:

grecian

Rew of course the replacement for Banton, so could be a bit of a story if he helps win the game for Somerset.

Didn't quite see why Cox went ahead of him in the England pecking order, but for balance he kept pretty shoddily.

Wonder who Jamie Overton really wants to win here.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Quite brilliant from these two, even allowing for Jordan's ill-advised handling of his bowlers. Espepcially coming together at 7 for 3, of course. I must admit that I didn't think Rew had the game to play this sort of knock, although that's based on what I saw of his a couple of years ago rather than more recently. No wonder they're the reigning champions, and you wouldn't bet against them repeating the win later today. I think we can assume that this semi-final is effectively done and dusted.

EDIT
Turns out that they're in the 50 over final next weekend too. The treble is really on for these guys, isn't it.

grecian

Quite brilliant from these two, even allowing for Jordan's ill-advised handling of his bowlers. Espepcially coming together at 7 for 3, of course. I must admit that I didn't think Rew had the game to play this sort of knock, although that's based on what I saw of his a couple of years ago rather than more recently. No wonder they're the reigning champions, and you wouldn't bet against them repeating the win later today. I think we can assume that this semi-final is effectively done and dusted.
he was 18 at the time wasn't he?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
he was 18 at the time wasn't he?
Oh yeah, I'm not pretending I was remotely well informed about what he can do now. Just saying how much he's surprised and impressed me today.
Apparently this is his first T20 game for his county? So maybe his coach felt the same way. Not that it matters of course.
Heady days for your boys, aren't they. Favourites in the CC given their remaining games and almost certainly in both cup finals.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Somerset could make this an extremely sour end to Surrey's season come the end of Sep.
We'll cope. It's not as if we haven't won the CC once or twice recently, and our time will probably come again. As for this tourny, we've never done much in it since winning the first one over 20 years ago. I know I'm kind of scapegoating him, but if today's performance means it's the last we see of the expensive imported has-been Chris Jordan then I won't mind too much. I'm actually quite enjoying the sight of Rew completely humiliating him now. What a waste of money he's been.

Beyond all that, my best mate from our university days over 40 years ago is a a dye-in-the wool Somerset supporter, so I'm pretty pleased for him.

grecian

Oh yeah, I'm not pretending I was remotely well informed about what he can do now. Just saying how much he's surprised and impressed me today.
Apparently this is his first T20 game for his county? So maybe his coach felt the same way. Not that it matters of course.
Heady days for your boys, aren't they. Favourites in the CC given their remaining games and almost certainly in both cup finals.
They are good days, but we ain't faves for the Championship at all, don't want to have a Gambhir-off here, but I've been here on a number of occasions, and the momentum is with us, but I feel another agonising defeat coming.

On Rew, I think our coaches have felt he shouldn't be overworked and we have a pretty great t20 team without him, he'd comfortably get in ahead of Smeed for me though and even tkc. Lammonby not being in this team is also a mistake for me, but hey they're doing okay.

Yeoman

U19 Captain
I like that the final line ups have a distinct ‘county cricket’ feel to them. There are no real superstars in either team. While there are a few with international caps, they are all fringe players or have played for associates. This match therefore has a pleasing familiarity about it and, moreover, is a big deal for all involved.