• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can’t remember a collapse like this for years. Think we discussed earlier in the summer. First Bazball test maybe?

mackembhoy

International Debutant
But to Howe’s point. England are playing how England play. Sri Lanka have bowled well today and from where I’m standing, assuming that outcomes are solely in England’s control is actually what’s disrespectful to the opposition.

It’s my pet hate in all of sports discussion. Of course there’s always things your team can do better but the idea that things are entirely down to their own application/mindset is infuriating.
We've already seen with this side how the play can veer from positive to arrogant very quickly.

We've certainly gone full in on that part in this match. I've not watched today aside from seeing the wickets,but we'd started on that path yesterday and just continued today.

Has felt very much like and end of school term game from us. Hope they lose as they have learnt absolutely nothing. The red ball reset about our performances has been a pile of crap and don't think they care. Going to get another 5-0 in Aus at this rate

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Can’t remember a collapse like this for years. Think we discussed earlier in the summer. First Bazball test maybe?
Didn't you guys get hammered in India earlier this year ? Pretty sure you got bowled for under 150 a couple of times

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We've already seen with this side how the play can veer from positive to arrogant very quickly.

We've certainly gone full in on that part in this match. I've not watched today aside from seeing the wickets,but we'd started on that path yesterday and just continued today.

Has felt very much like and end of school term game from us. Hope they lose as they have learnt absolutely nothing. The red ball reset about our performances has been a pile of crap and don't think they care. Going to get another 5-0 in Aus at this rate
Come on mate. We’ve won five from five. Had to work for it at times but got the results. Bedded in two players who look like long term fixtures of the side in Atkinson and Smith. Olly Stone has made a decent return, Hull not a bad debut innings. Root has been sublime more often than not.

Brook has had a disappointing time, Pope very rocks and diamonds. But I think you’re going way OTT on a team that has been winning matches.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer

The frustrating thing is that, at times this summer, this team have dug in, particularly in the chase in the first Test, and in the second Test against the Windies, but they just can’t help themselves at times

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Probably the weakest batting line up we’ve fielded in a long time.
You shouldn’t pick bowlers off the back of their batting, but when Woakes, who isn’t a #7 in the first place and who is off colour with the bat, runs from 8-11 can make a difference. Encouraging signs from Smith this summer, but he’s still only a few months into his Test career after all

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
But to Howe’s point. England are playing how England play. Sri Lanka have bowled well today and from where I’m standing, assuming that outcomes are solely in England’s control is actually what’s disrespectful to the opposition.
OK, I'll have a go. Without checking every post, I don't think the major criticism is about most of the dismissals today, despite the state of the scorecard. There's been far more said about the first innings dismissals, especially on Day 2, and that's where some people have suggested a lack of respect. There has actually been a lot of talk about how well SL have bowled today. It would be interesting to hear the SL players' views actually, although they'll probably be too polite to say as much just yet.

And I think the idea that this is just how England play is an over-simplification. As recently as this series, we've seen times when they've played according to the match situation; the run chase at Old Trafford and Root's innings at Lord's the obvious examples. But there must have been others too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
OK, I'll have a go. Without checking every post, I don't think the major criticism is about most of the dismissals today, despite the state of the scorecard. There's been far more said about the first innings dismissals, especially on Day 2, and that's where some people have suggested a lack of respect. There has actually been a lot of talk about how well SL have bowled today. It would be interesting to hear the SL players' views actually, although they'll probably be too polite to say as much just yet.

And I think the idea that this is just how England play is an over-simplification. As recently as this series, we've seen times when they've played according to the match situation; the run chase at Old Trafford and Root's innings at Lord's the obvious examples. But there must have been others too.
I meant Vaughan’s comments as opposed to those on here. And to be clear I think you can play how England do without crumbling like we did yesterday.

I have just become a bit jaded to the discussion every time England don’t post a decent score being about throwing it away; because in reality we post decent scores with much greater regularity than I can remember being the case since Strauss was at the helm.