• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
I still have England marginal favourites as mad as it sounds. Still think SL are capable of letting this slip. Even a 50 partnership here could be damaging.

When you're not used to winning positions, it becomes harder to get over the line.
If England can get the lead over 200 it would be tricky given the Oval’s history for fourth innings. I am fairly cross at the application of the batsmen across the match.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
If England can get the lead over 200 it would be tricky given the Oval’s history for fourth innings. I am fairly cross at the application of the batsmen across the match.
Maybe complacency? It's hard to be 100 percent focused when most of the England fans have had every game won before a ball bowled ..You can sort of buy into that as a team especially the young guys

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Maybe complacency? It's hard to be 100 percent focused when most of the England fans have had every game won before a ball bowled ..You can sort of buy into that as a team especially the young guys
probably but, after coming through Friday with an above average score given the conditions, the batting since the start of yesterday has been woeful and more experienced players have hardly been blameless.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Indeed. But the complicating factor is that he does know a bit about captaining a successful test side, so I'm not going to disregard everything that he says. Obviously the knack is to try and work out which bits are worth taking seriously, and which bits are just personal.
Yep the **** has actually been spot on with his views about how England have played in this test.

Truly embarrassing performance by England. A very poor test all round, the quality on show has been pretty lacking.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yep the **** has actually been spot on with his views about how England have played in this test.

Truly embarrassing performance by England. A very poor test all round, the quality on show has been pretty lacking.
But to Howe’s point. England are playing how England play. Sri Lanka have bowled well today and from where I’m standing, assuming that outcomes are solely in England’s control is actually what’s disrespectful to the opposition.

It’s my pet hate in all of sports discussion. Of course there’s always things your team can do better but the idea that things are entirely down to their own application/mindset is infuriating.