• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not sure about that, think the main thing is that the calendar is absolutely chocker which has meant that some of the best players from teams like West Indies and Sri Lanka aren’t even trying to get into the Test team, and they don’t get enough time to adapt to the conditions compared to yesteryear when visiting teams would get at least 2 FC games against counties or a Lions select
Who are the Sri Lankans who have dropped out of test cricket?
It's also not a great reason why Rehan Ahmed and Shoiab Bashir should be taking wickets on debut in Pakistan and India respectively.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
It's also not a great reason why Rehan Ahmed and Shoiab Bashir should be taking wickets on debut in Pakistan and India respectively.
Well you’ll get more friendly conditions in the subcontinent than in England (and in particular the County Championship). I’m pretty encouraged by the newbies, I think the current set-up have been smart about identifying the kinds of players who could have success in Tests at home and abroad who might slip through the cracks, but conditions are generally favourable to most of our players here (and conversely, not so to Bashir who has struggled a bit in this series)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well you’ll get more friendly conditions in the subcontinent than in England (and in particular the County Championship). I’m pretty encouraged by the newbies, I think the current set-up have been smart about identifying the kinds of players who could have success in Tests at home and abroad who might slip through the cracks, but conditions are generally favourable to most of our players here (and conversely, not so to Bashir who has struggled a bit in this series)
Yeah, bowling spin in England to players from SL, India and Pakistan is rarely a good combination.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Do they think the game is in the bag or something? A decent first-innings lead, but far from insurmountable
Dunno. Vaughan is on about lack of respect for the opposition again and, it pains me to say it, but he may have a point. Stopped clock and all that.

EDIT
Just seen the wicket on the BBC; not a great shot, was it. I know Duckett will say the approach worked in the first innings, but he was dead lucky to make double figures then. And I think he's averaging 30 or so since the Ashes? Andy Zatzman is saying on the BBC that Duckett averages 64.4 this summer, but he really isn't. 36.4 according to my sums.

Last edited:

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, bowling spin in England to players from SL, India and Pakistan is rarely a good combination.
I actually thought Bashir bowled quite well against them yesterday from my view in the ground. Of course he had that dolly dropped to. I take the point that this series was always going to be tougher for him, but I don’t think he’s been terrible.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I actually thought Bashir bowled quite well against them yesterday from my view in the ground. Of course he had that dolly dropped to. I take the point that this series was always going to be tougher for him, but I don’t think he’s been terrible.
tbh I haven't seen enough of it to say how well or badly he's bowled. I was more referring to the likely outcomes, compared to bowling at the WI batsmen. I'm happy that we've kept him in the side, and I think they called it right bringing in the extra seamer to replace Stokes.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
tbh I haven't seen enough of it to say how well or badly he's bowled. I was more referring to the likely outcomes, compared to bowling at the WI batsmen. I'm happy that we've kept him in the side, and I think they called it right bringing in the extra seamer to replace Stokes.
Agreed on that. He needs to learn the ropes and will do that far more against these type of players than Windies.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dunno. Vaughan is on about lack of respect for the opposition again and, it pains me to say it, but he may have a point. Stopped clock and all that.
Does he heck as like. He's just doing his usual whinge-only-when-it-goes-wrong crap while sticking a random jab in at people's mental state because he can't go five minutes without being a prick.

It can't be a lack of respect for the opposition while also failing to change their game for the situation. Either they're changing what they do or they aren't, pick one.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Does he heck as like. He's just doing his usual whinge-only-when-it-goes-wrong crap while sticking a random jab in at people's mental state because he can't go five minutes without being a prick.
Come on mate, tell us what you really think.