• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

King Kane

International Debutant
Nasser saying that Vaughan was called Scissor Hands, that's a bit rich from a guy that had the nickname of Poppadom Fingers.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Just got back from the game, albeit by the pub and then some dinner.

Weird day and disappointing. England were in a great position I have to say that Sri Lanka bowled far better than yesterday, especially at a becalmed Joe Root, but there was some dreadful give away wickets in there.

Although I thought England were right to go very attacking early on with the ball, I thought they held on with the big slip cordon a few overs too long. They also didn’t bowl full enough until Stone came on.

What can I say about the light? It was supposed to be forecast as a cracking day but there was thick cloud from the start. I had already resigned myself that there wouldn’t be much play past 6 but it quickly became clear that this was optimistic. That Woakes over where he switched to bowl off spin was absurd. I guess we did well to see as much cricket as we did, but the spinners bowling was largely very easy runs. Kamindu looked a real class player n the flesh. You can see how much time he has at the crease live. I haven’t seen highlights of the Hull drop. It looked awful in real time but did he have problems seeing. It was very dark by that time, dolly or otherwise.

Weather not great tomorrow. I wonder if those who have booked Tuesday might see a good amount of play? England will hope that they have overcast but not too dark skies to get the seamers onwhen play resumes. Sri Lanka May get close.

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
Good day for SL, bit rubbish for england but if Hull hadnt dropped de Silva, it would have seemed better, but england have dropped a lot of regulation catches this summer. Same comms who crit england for going off yesterday now crit Pope for bowling the spinners for 17 overs and letting SL back into the game.

BigBeefy

Cricket Spectator
Ultimately this looks a great first innings pitch to bat on and England probably ended up 100 short of a par score.

Sri Lanka coming back into it so England will need to bat well again to get a good lead and utilise the potential of a day 5 turner?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nasser saying that Vaughan was called Scissor Hands, that's a bit rich from a guy that had the nickname of Poppadom Fingers.
Two completely separate issues tbf.

For the uninitiated, Vaughan's poor catching vs Hussain's tendency to suffer broken digits while batting.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Been bucketing it down here in Herts, I presume the same is true in sarf London? Why do they bother playing Test cricket in the south of England?
Not currently in my part of SW London. It did hose it down overnight, but drainage at The Oval is pretty good

However, the forecast for Kennington today isn't great.