• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

Molehill

International Captain
This Oval pitch looks a good deal more straw coloured than those I have seen in the County Championship. I'm off there tomorrow.
They said it was cut to 4mm rather than the usual 8mm, which is probably why it's not doing as much (although could be the bowlers).

SL have not exactly been great so far. Just need to stick to off stump, but it's all over the shop.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
They said it was cut to 4mm rather than the usual 8mm, which is probably why it's not doing as much (although could be the bowlers).

SL have not exactly been great so far. Just need to stick to off stump, but it's all over the shop.
It makes sense. I did say further up the thread that I doubted it would be as seam friendly as for the CC. However, it should be said that the bowling from nearly everyone rather than Asitha has been poor, and even he hasn't been as good as other games so far.

Molehill

International Captain
Lawrence has managed to take himself from next cab off the rank to probably not even going on tour this Autumn.

Reactions: FBU

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
I think it was there to pull and he hesitated because he was in an uncharacteristically tentative mode. He doesn't have the technique to play traditionally so should probably always play positively. I don't think he's test class, but he's a no5. Opening with him is ridiculous. They probably didn't want a natural reserve opener to smash the series out the park due to being very invested in Crawley and Duckett.

Molehill

International Captain
Never an opener, it was nigh on destined to fail and I didn't just say this in hindsight.
True, but he's not even made a half decent fist of it, and it's not like it's against a high quality seam attack either. Has generally found ways to get himself out than get good ones.

Reactions: FBU

King Kane

International Debutant
Another failure for Lawrence, that was an awful shot that got him out, he makes Crawley look like Graham Gooch.

King Kane

International Debutant
The irony is that Gooch averaged less than Crawley in test cricket when he was 26 years old.
Yeah I know Gooch started badly in his test career with a pair on his test debut, I was talking about the older better Gooch when he was in his 30s.

Lawrence is playing like the younger worse Gooch, maybe Lawrence will get better with age too but I doubt it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Feel like Duckett needed this score.

My laptop screen is playing up a bit - is it dark, or is it just my screen?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Duckett needed the score but he was never really in trouble, he's looked good a few times this summer and just never kicked on.

A test venue is required in Suffolk.

The amount of times I sit watching a test at home, having to draw my curtains due to sunglare, while they go off for light on my TV.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Since accurate balls faced recording began (which appears to be the mid 90s), these two are the fastest scoring pair in tests with 1000+ runs. The three fastest scoring such partnerships are all this team

1725622213133.png

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Lawrence has managed to take himself from next cab off the rank to probably not even going on tour this Autumn.
I mean it's completely unfair on him. Arrogance from the setup to play him there.

I know you ain't going to say no to playing to England but I'm not sure what he expected either.

The Jason Roy saga all over again, who if we'd just picked in the middle order, might have actually had a test career.