• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

Himannv

International Coach
I thought the whole purpose of the WTC was to give every match some context? Dead in the context of the series but still points to be won right?
Sri Lanka right now value experience for seamers in foreign conditions. Even if the match is lost, they may take the experience gained as something worthwhile.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
All they've done here is unbalanced their attack really, it's going to take some pretty special circumstances to justify Sri Lanka playing four seamers and this probably isn't it
Prabath Jayasuriya outside Galle is pretty mediocre, as a Sri Lankan fan i cannot ignore it any longer ..I think he's had enough chances, we were better off selecting a spinner that can bat like Ramesh Mendis or invest in a prospect like Wellalage..

Bowling averages in different grounds for Jayasuriya:

Galle - 53 test wickets @21.92
Basin Reserve - 1 wicket @86.00
Hagley Oval - 3 wickets @46.00
Sinhalese Sports Club - 10 wickets @36.80
Sylhet Stadium - Wicketless
Zahur Ahmed Chowdury Stadium - 4 wickets @41.00
Lords - 3 wickets @67.00
Old Trafford - 5 wickets @36.60

In England his economy is 3.65 , that's slow by Bazball standards but by normal test standards that's not exactly economical. Jayasuriya also averages in single digits with the bat, now that's okay if you are a star bowler that is contributing to the bulk of 20 wickets, but if you're not and you're batting at no.8/9 what is the point you're just in the side for the sake of it really.

Molehill

International Captain
Forecast for today not exactly promising. There's some heavy thunder storms around in the South of England today (just got smashed by one here).

Might need some luck for them to bypass The Oval.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's crazy that 53 of his 79 test wickets have come at one ground
That's also because he's played 6 of his 14 tests there. It seems to be their 'go-to' ground, in the 2022 Pakistan series both tests were there. But I've never thought he was much good if it wasn't ragging.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
That's also because he's played 6 of his 14 tests there. It seems to be their 'go-to' ground, in the 2022 Pakistan series both tests were there. But I've never thought he was much good if it wasn't ragging.
6 tests at Galle - 53 wickets @21.92

8 tests everywhere else - 26 wickets @46

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
My take on Jayasuriya is that he has appeared to go too defensively too quickly, often going over the wicket to the right hander. This seems an unnecessary thing to do, especially when he bowled pretty well in Manchester when there was not much help, earlier in the match. There is clearly a bowler in there, but the mindset has been a little disappointing.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I thought the whole purpose of the WTC was to give every match some context? Dead in the context of the series but still points to be won right?
The WTC is utterly pointless though in it's current guise.

A competition isn't valid if teams play a different amount of games and then you lose points for winning games.

Starfighter

You don't lose points for winning if you don't slow down the game every time the pressure goes on (a la the eighties Windies)

mackembhoy

International Debutant
You don't lose points for winning if you don't slow down the game every time the pressure goes on (a la the eighties Windies)
Should be in game penalties then, a points deduction in league they couldn't give a **** about isn't going to change anything.

5 runs per over not bowled would suddenly speed them along. We'd get 90 every day if no weather delays.

Starfighter

Should be in game penalties then, a points deduction in league they couldn't give a **** about isn't going to change anything.

5 runs per over not bowled would suddenly speed them along. I'd personally go for 10 runs, I don't think 5 is enough.
That's no reason to strop about the current penalty. It was entirely self-inflicted. The fact you - and seemingly no one else - cares about the WTC is part of the cause. Fact is people don't like in game penalties because they're seen as being very artificial in a form of the game that thrives on spontaneity, and it's seen as potentially degrading the quality of play (eg by using part time spinners).

Geoff Boycott once suggested ten runs an over and thirty-two overs a session, saying it would have left the West Indies 240 adrift each day.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
This Oval pitch looks a good deal more straw coloured than those I have seen in the County Championship. I'm off there tomorrow.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah he's not been great but they haven't changed him for another spinner, they've recalled Vishwa Fernando.
They've basically decided that in these conditions, DDS and Mendis can probably fill a similar bowling role to him between them and they're better off making sure they actually have four seamers.

I kind of support it tbh. England shortened their batting line up to make sure they had four seamers this series too, and Jayasuriya isn't exactly Herath let alone Murali.