• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Batsmen with Debut after 2000

capt_Luffy

International Captain
If you look from just a skill based POV, Kohli is a better player of bounce and seam, as evidenced by his great records in Aus and SA. However, Root is a far superior bat against swing, and much better imo against spin as well. Kohli's numbers against spin are inflated a bit, especially due to the lack of world class spinners in the last decade (bar Ashwin and Jadeja who he doesn't have to face). Lyon is the only other that stands out but he doesn't trouble the Indians much in India because of his bowling style, which relies much more on bounce and dip rather than lateral movement. It's also why "lesser" bowlers like Ajaz, Steve o' Keefe have troubled us more even though they have played us less frequently.
I kinda agree Root is a better player of spin than Kohli, but imo not that significantly. Lyon still did well in India and a young Kohli did quite well in SL vs Herath. O'Keefe was actually quite a good spinner though, the only reason he played so less, probably even behind Lyon as well, was his alcoholism.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
England just plays more Tests. Nothing much to separate them in terms of actual years, especially Kohli. Against top opponents, he and Virat both have similar records and it could be argued that both India and England are equally challenging home conditions. To top it off, Root is quite bad in Australia, the most important country to tour for an English batsman to tour. While Virat also has his issues in England, he still has an ATG series there, something Root never managed in Australia; and VK is arguably the best touring bat ever in South Africa and also an ATG in Australia, the two most challenging countries for visiting batsmen.
Root is not quite bad in Australia, it is not like he is averaging 20-25 there. He got 9 fifties in Australia and averages 35 in Australia. He has excellent record in tough conditions in India and South Africa. Additionally, excellent record in New Zealand and Sri Lanka too.

VK has poor record in England and New Zealand both. His home average is a bit inflated too due to weaker oppositions bashing.

Playing more tests make it harder to maintain a great average. There is a reason why no England player averaged 50+ in last 50 years.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Root is not quite bad in Australia, it is not like he is averaging 20-25 there. He got 9 fifties in Australia and averages 35 in Australia. He has excellent record in tough conditions in India and South Africa. Additionally, excellent record in New Zealand and Sri Lanka too.

VK has poor record in England and New Zealand both. His home average is a bit inflated too due to weaker oppositions bashing.

Playing more tests make it harder to maintain a great average. There is a reason why no England player averaged 50+ in last 50 years.
Yes, and that reason is more so there hardly has been many great English bats. The best after Root, KP and Cook both really averages where they should playing for most other teams. VK only played 4 matches in NZ, much too small of a sample size to form a consensus really. And nowhere is Root as good as Kohli in SA, and arguably even Australia.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
Point 1: De Villiers isn't an all formats ATG as he only averaged 26 in T20is.

Point 2: Williamson is obviously an ATG.
Averages for the past 10 years:
Willliamson 63.66
Smith 61.20
Kohli 52.57
Root 50.68

Furtermore, Williamson also has the highest equal top score in a WT20 final, was the best batter in the inaugural WTC final, won the player of the tournament for the 2019 WC, and has the 3rd highest batting average of all time in World Cups for those with 1,000+ runs.
Point 1 - okay but de Villiers still remains an all formats great due to his perception of a great T20 player. If I have to pick between de Villiers and Williamson in a T20I match, I will pick de Villiers and most others would also I believe.

Point 2 - Williamson's biggest problem is his record away from home vs top 5 teams during his era. It is extremely poor when compared with Smith, Kohli and Root. 1 bad country would be understandable but overall vs top 5 teams, it is very poor.

Smith - 52
Root - 44
Kohli - 43
Williamson - 32

That's a big fall for Williamson because it means he enjoyed the luxury of facing mediocre opponents and bashing them all his life to take his career average to 54.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
I kinda agree Root is a better player of spin than Kohli, but imo not that significantly. Lyon still did well in India and a young Kohli did quite well in SL vs Herath. O'Keefe was actually quite a good spinner though, the only reason he played so less, probably even behind Lyon as well, was his alcoholism.
I agree yeah. I feel that Root is closer to bats such as ABD and Kohli than he is to Smith in tests, and hence his place in the top tier while leaving out the others seems unjust. However his Post COVID peak cannot be ignored, in what has essentially been a bowling friendly era, and imo is what puts him above the likes of Kohli.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I agree yeah. I feel that Root is closer to bats such as ABD and Kohli than he is to Smith in tests, and hence his place in the top tier while leaving out the others seems unjust. However his Post COVID peak cannot be ignored, in what has essentially been a bowling friendly era, and imo is what puts him above the likes of Kohli.
That's a good argument, but imo Virat's much superior record in Australia and South Africa, him having an ATG series in England (his weakness, something Root couldn't pull off in Australia) and his pre 2019 peak puts him slightly ahead. Definitely not in separate tiers though.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
Yes, and that reason is more so there hardly has been many great English bats. The best after Root, KP and Cook both really averages where they should playing for most other teams. VK only played 4 matches in NZ, much too small of a sample size to form a consensus really. And nowhere is Root as good as Kohli in SA, and arguably even Australia.
No, Root has series defining performance in South Africa, that hundred he got in Wanderers was a tough wicket. In Australia, Kohli is better. Remember the 2021 series at home vs India, Root got 750+ runs while second runs scorer was Rohit Sharma with 350+ runs. Root has several such performance at home which Kohli lacks.

Australia - Kohli
South Africa - Equal
New Zealand - Root( has a double ton)
England/India - Root
Sri Lanka - Root ( single-handedly won the series)
Windies - Root
Bangladesh - Kohli

I think in Tests, Root is better than Kohli while overall, Kohli will be better because he is simply among the greatest in LOIs.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
No, Root has series defining performance in South Africa, that hundred he got in Wanderers was a tough wicket. In Australia, Kohli is better. Remember the 2021 series at home vs India, Root got 750+ runs while second runs scorer was Rohit Sharma with 350+ runs. Root has several such performance at home which Kohli lacks.

Australia - Kohli
South Africa - Equal
New Zealand - Root( has a double ton)
England/India - Root
Sri Lanka - Root ( single-handedly won the series)
Windies - Root
Bangladesh - Kohli

I think in Tests, Root is better than Kohli while overall, Kohli will be better because he is simply among the greatest in LOIs.
South Africa Kohli is better bro. Not one tough wicket hundred, Kohli performed time and time again against Steyn, Rabada, Philander, Morkel and othe top tier bowlers in some of the hottest of pitches. Kohli is definitely much ahead in SA. And they are around equal in SL. Post Herath, Lankan bowling has been terrible. At home, Kohli also has some plenty good series.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
South Africa Kohli is better bro. Not one tough wicket hundred, Kohli performed time and time again against Steyn, Rabada, Philander, Morkel and othe top tier bowlers in some of the hottest of pitches. Kohli is definitely much ahead in SA. And they are around equal in SL. Post Herath, Lankan bowling has been terrible. At home, Kohli also has some plenty good series.
You can tell he’s just looking at statsguru and hasnt actually watched these series.

Kohli is miles ahead in SA and Aus and Kohli’s 2018 series in Eng is better than any of Roots series in Ind.

Last edited:

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kohli is definitely an ATG in SA and is clear of Root. However, I disagree with them being almost equal in SL. Even without Herath, SL produce decent spinners for their home series on some absolute turners. Winning a series single handedly in SL while averaging 100+ cannot be written off. Kohli has a decent record in SL, and while the last time IND toured SL was quite a while back, several players batted better than Kohli on the tour. Herath only got Kohli out once. Yet Kohli managed only one good innings and was troubled by the other bowlers. In a hypothetical post Herath series in SL, I can't see Kohli replicating what Root did for ENG, especially with his post COVID slump in form.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Kohli is definitely an ATG in SA and is clear of Root. However, I disagree with them being almost equal in SL. Even without Herath, SL produce decent spinners for their home series on some absolute turners. Winning a series single handedly in SL while averaging 100+ cannot be written off. Kohli has a decent record in SL, and while the last time IND toured SL was quite a while back, several players batted better than Kohli on the tour. Herath only got Kohli out once. Yet Kohli managed only one good innings and was troubled by the other bowlers. In a hypothetical post Herath series in SL, I can't see Kohli replicating what Root did for ENG, especially with his post COVID slump in form.
That's fair. Root is ahead in SL.

Majestic

U19 Vice-Captain
Root's hundred was a quality one in South Africa in 2016 too. The series was on line, conditions were overcast. Remember Broad ran through SA batting which boosted Amla and ABD. But it was Root's hundred in 1st innings which really set up the game for England. They won that series in South Africa.

Kohli did faced high quality bowlers in SA in 2018 but if we nitpick then in first test, he failed and then the 150 he scored in 2nd test was not a bowling paradise. The third test was certainly a bowling paradise and he got 40 odd. He toured again in 2022 and was okay. Root has done very well in South Africa although maybe due tough conditions, you can give an edge to Kohli but wont say it is a no brainer.

Sri Lankan bowling was poor but Root single handedly won that series in Sri Lanka with 180 odd and a double ton. Batting as a lone warrior and winning the series single handedly counts a lot in tests even if opposition is Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka.

In home conditions, Kohli scored lot of runs on good batting pitches but not like Root carrying the batting pretty much like a lone warrior. Kohli remember went through a phase where he didn't got a ton for 3 years.

Overall, I would certainly pick Root ahead of Kohli and Younis Khan and I have provided enough explanation to back my point. If still there can be any doubt, Root's bowling widens the gap.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absence of Michael Clarke from this discussion something of a travesty tbh.

Easily as good a player as ABdV, Root, KW, Younis, G Smith, Sehwag or Amla who’ve all got multiple mentions.
Possibly just forgotten or people thought he debuted in 99.

Bitmap

State Vice-Captain
Steve Smith
Kumar Sangakkara
Joe Root
Kane Williamson
Younis Khan
AB de Villiers
Virat Kohli
Virender Sehwag/Hashim Amla
Michael Clarke

Last edited:

Burgey

If you look from just a skill based POV, Kohli is a better player of bounce and seam, as evidenced by his great records in Aus and SA. However, Root is a far superior bat against swing, and much better imo against spin as well. Kohli's numbers against spin are inflated a bit, especially due to the lack of world class spinners in the last decade (bar Ashwin and Jadeja who he doesn't have to face). Lyon is the only other that stands out but he doesn't trouble the Indians much in India because of his bowling style, which relies much more on bounce and dip rather than lateral movement. It's also why "lesser" bowlers like Ajaz, Steve o' Keefe have troubled us more even though they have played us less frequently.
Lyon’s last two tours of India have been really good haven’t they? Averages less overall there than he does over his career

Burgey

Possibly just forgotten or people thought he debuted in 99.
Also a bit of **** to his team mates by some reports so not as fondly remembered, and came into his prime as Aus stopped being number on when we had one of our rare blips across history before being restored to rightful ascendancy.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lyon’s last two tours of India have been really good haven’t they? Averages less overall there than he does over his career
He does tbf, 2 8fers included. Maybe my memory is a bit biased against him because most of his contributions came in losing causes for Australia.

Thala_0710

School Boy/Girl Captain
Also a bit of **** to his team mates by some reports so not as fondly remembered, and came into his prime as Aus stopped being number on when we had one of our rare blips across history before being restored to rightful ascendancy.
Probably more to do with the fact that Clarke was a bit of a HTB. A home vs away avg of 62 vs 39 doesn't paint him in the best picture, whilst playing on some of the more batting friendly pitches this century. Would definitely make the top 15 though.