• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to India in Australia 2024-25

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2013/14 Ashes wasn't really hyped tbh, people actually had fairly low expectations going in. If anything 10/11 was more hyped and that turned into an abject catastrophe.

No one expected Johnson to do what he did, except maybe Clarke who had one of those inexplicable episodes of clairvoyance that he occasionally got. That all changed after two days of cricket of course.
IIRC a lot of people were quite opposed to Johnson's selection as well (including myself) thanks to prior bad memories. His one unspectacular Shield outing didn't help.

Spark

Global Moderator
IIRC a lot of people were quite opposed to Johnson's selection as well (including myself) thanks to prior bad memories. His one unspectacular Shield outing didn't help.
Most people here were, I think only a small handful thought it was a good idea.

Hell, even after his first spell people were going "ah **** here we go again", he was super wayward. But then he came back and started bowling bouncers at Trott, and then that afternoon session, and everyone could tell instantly that something was very different.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I remember thinking they'd picked the wrong side when he and Siddle were picked as two of the three quicks.

TBF I was right about Siddle.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I remember thinking they'd picked the wrong side when he and Siddle were picked as two of the three quicks.

TBF I was right about Siddle.
TBQH Siddle did a decent job at that time, especially with the meme quartet always injured. It was his recalls in 2018 and '19 that really galled. Bird wasn't the same after his 2015-ish shoulder injuries, but he was still a better pick for the '19 Ashes.

Looking up Shield scorecards one match of Johnson's reminded me that I think it's a tragedy Behrendorff never played a test - at the time I'd have seriously taken him over Starc. But selections aside his spine turned out to be made of glass.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
What we really need are our traditional hard, bouncy pitches without much sideways movement. The were good at getting visiting batsmen, especially from the subcontinent, due to their extra bounce, but befuddled visiting bowlers due to the general lack of swing or spin. India's attack are better at moving the ball both in the air and off the deck than ours, but ours is taller.
Agreed.

the big bambino

International Captain
It was irritating to see Australia provide seaming pitches for England and South Africa but will lose my **** if we roll em out again for india.

GirthQuake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Would be so cool if over the next 12 months with potentially 16 tests to play, Kohli's average tanks under 45.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Hell no Mukesh or Prasidh.

Let's take these 6 pacers on tour (in order)

1) Bumrah
2) Shami
3) Siraj
4) Akashdeep
5) Harshiit Rana
6) Arshdeep Singh
No need of Arshdeep, he was bowling at high 120s in ODIs vs SRL, we should take one of Nitish Reddy or Shardul Thakur.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australian supporters would know better but last time I saw so many Aussie cricketers hyped about a Home series was 2013 or 2006/07 Ashes .
I haven't seen any hype here tbh

Been like that for any non-Ashes cricket for a while though. Even the World Cup last year went pretty under the radar.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
^^ Thats false.

Half the Australian team has given an interview to the press in the last 1-2 weeks as well as several former Australian cricketers... solely commenting on the Border Gavaskar Trophy (and how hungry Australia are to win after not winning for 10 years).

Lyon
Cummins
Smith
Starc
Hazlewood
Ponting
Border
Hayden
Gilchrist

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Given the number of interviews coming out from Australian cricketers about BGT, it almost seemed like the series was just around the corner a few weeks away
...when in fact it's 3 whole months away sadly.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
^^ Thats false.

Half the Australian team has given an interview to the press in the last 1-2 weeks as well as several former Australian cricketers... solely commenting on the Border Gavaskar Trophy (and how hungry Australia are to win after not winning for 10 years).

Lyon
Cummins
Smith
Starc
Hazlewood
Ponting
Border
Hayden
Gilchrist
They all know which side their bread gets buttered, at least in terms of eyeballs and notoriety. Any India-related soundbytes are guaranteed to be picked up and drooled over by desis on Youtube and despo Indian news channels. Excuse the tangent but it's the same reason why so many international motorcycle channels on Youtube hype the new Royal Enfields. Improved bikes no doubt but hardly worth the attention if not for all the Indians who think RE is their father's company.