• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
His previous tour didn’t go well but if we were ever going to take Woakes away again, NZ is the one I’d be okay with I think?

Molehill

International Captain
England don't really have alot of other option, unless they are keen to debut the new guys like Pennington in the Pakistan and New Zealand tour.

Woakes will play in Pakistan most likely
I mean there is a fella with 76 wickets from 20 Tests at under 23 who is bowling his County to Div 2 promotion.....

ImpatientLime

International Regular
England don't really have alot of other option, unless they are keen to debut the new guys like Pennington in the Pakistan and New Zealand tour.

Woakes will play in Pakistan most likely
they do however have the option to not pick the worse performing seamer away from home in their entire test history.

Molehill

International Captain
Given the proximity of the two tours, it would make sense to rest Woakes from Pakistan and then take him to NZ which is more likely to suit him.

Atkinson, Wood and Stone should be the main seamers in Pakistan (and maybe Tongue if fit) who would likely play with 2 spinners.

Molehill

International Captain
He may well have widdled on the chips though.

Attitude and fitness the issue not the ability
Which I still don't really get as his fitness has been fine for his County this Summer (and he even skipped a couple of County games at the ECB's request), has helped bowl them to a somewhat surprising Blast QF spot too.

You'd think he'd be perfect for NZ pitches and is clearly better than Potts.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Which I still don't really get as his fitness has been fine for his County this Summer (and he even skipped a couple of County games at the ECB's request), has helped bowl them to a somewhat surprising Blast QF spot too.

the list of bowlers better than Potts is quite long in fairness

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Well why isn't he involved?

Can only be attitude not ability. I'd have him as attack leader over Woakes and leading the team in Pakistan where he did so well last time.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Well why isn't he involved?

Can only be attitude not ability. I'd have him as attack leader over Woakes and leading the team in Pakistan where he did so well last time.
Maybe they don't want Robinson succeed, you unfortunately do get those examples in working environments where someone whose a little bit different gets held to a different standard than everyone else performance wise ..

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah if they have a plan for attack without Woakes based on conditions and type of bowling then fine, obey the theory and play someone else.

If it's just a case of getting mad at statsguru and playing someone like Potts to do exactly the same thing but worse just for the sake of it then who cares.

mackembhoy

International Debutant

Definitely an attitude issue. He's a bit of a divvy lets be honest.

In the same way Hales even after he'd served his time wasn't brought back under Morgan.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I'm not sure it's even remotely confusing why Robinson isn't in the side at the minute. I would love him to earn another chance because his ceiling is huge, but he has only himself to blame.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely an attitude issue. He's a bit of a divvy lets be honest.

In the same way Hales even after he'd served his time wasn't brought back under Morgan.
That was a bit different though as Roy, Bairstow and then Buttler covered the opening slots in white ball cricket very successfully. This is like cutting off our nose to spite our face.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
That was a bit different though as Roy, Bairstow and then Buttler covered the opening slots in white ball cricket very successfully. This is like cutting off our nose to spite our face.
True enough but I think Stokes/McCullum ain't the type to suffer fools.

McCullum criticism of him in India was pretty damning. First time he'd really openly criticised someone(well in as many words even if he didn't directly say he was crap)

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Safe to say Stone wouldn't have fared any better than Potts. I said I'd have picked him over Potts yesterday.

Ben McKinney putting him to the sword currently he's gone for 39 off 6 after Notts won toss and chose to bowl.

Other two bowlers gone for 9 off the other 8 overs.