• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England vs Sri Lanka 21st August-10th September 2024

Howe_zat

Audio File
It was surprisingly sporting of England to carry on with Bashir and Root in the low light when you could argue the optimal approach is to bring back Wood for a burst at the tailenders.

Unlikely they'd extend the same to the Australians.

Howe_zat

Audio File
On the other hand, while I know DDS opening the bowling is also forced by the light I'd have actually believed it as a strat given Duckett is the opposing batsman. A lot of Mohammed Hafeez energy

CartyDurham

International Captain
It was surprisingly sporting of England to carry on with Bashir and Root in the low light when you could argue the optimal approach is to bring back Wood for a burst at the tailenders.

Unlikely they'd extend the same to the Australians.
I can’t believe Sri Lanka are opening with spin , which is good news for those in attendance

CartyDurham

International Captain
Pace on now , one bouncer and the umpires confer ?

strike that. More spin. I thought he was marking a long run up

senility

CartyDurham

International Captain
Anyone remember the last time in a test in England that a team has opened bowling with two spinners on day one ?

must be a rarity

beauty by mendis there. It doesn’t look like it will happen but imagine chasing 200 plus on a fifth day pitch for England

I’d think the Sri Lankans would win

CartyDurham

International Captain
Duckett is a decent player of spin , (kiss of death) and Lawrence has just played a nice shot through legside

and they are going off

Howe_zat

Audio File
Anyone remember the last time in a test in England that a team has opened bowling with two spinners on day one ?
I'm fairly sure this is the first time it's ever happened in the first or second innings of a test here

Also that list reveals that the last time it happened at all (Lords 2008) was England enforcing the follow on of all things just to bowl Panesar and Pietersen for a few overs in bad light at the end of day 3. Unquestionably a bad decision lol. No doubt the recieved wisdom mafia would've been after them for batting again though.

CartyDurham

International Captain
In a perfect world England score towards 500 and have the weekend off, after bowling Sri Lanka out after declaring by lunch on Friday

some bad weather around sadly so hopefully they will be time for a result

Howe_zat

Audio File
In a perfect world England score towards 500 and have the weekend off, after bowling Sri Lanka out after declaring by lunch on Friday

Forecast suggets an early lunch tomorrow and that'll be about it for major interruptions. Plenty of time.

LangleyburyCCPlayer

U19 Vice-Captain

Scores of 500+ have become quite rare in England in recent year, obviously we did so against Australia last year but it’s not looking a 500 pitch now, it looks like it’ll play quite nicely but the odd ball here or there will do something