• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of the West Indies, AUGUST 6th to 26th, 2024-- 2 TESTS & 3 T20Is

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Agreed. Lots of inexperience at test level in the batting but also sort of hoping to see some progression.
Yep, Markram and Bedingham both need to step up. Stop playing the shot of the day and start consistently playing the innings of the day.

Looking forward to seeing how Stubbs does also. I hope he finds that balance between grinding it out and the attacking he did in T & T. He found it difficult here,but he was up against two superb pacers and you can see he has so much talent.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yep, Markram and Bedingham both need to step up. Stop playing the shot of the day and start consistently playing the innings of the day.

Looking forward to seeing how Stubbs does also. I hope he finds that balance between grinding it out and the attacking he did in T & T. He found it difficult here,but he was up against two superb pacers and you can see he has so much talent.
I'm a believer that even if you aren't a 40+ test average batsman at least play innings that are capable of being match winning and 80% of the time those are hundreds & these are our last two to score test match hundreds.

But saying that, I do think they both should be 40+ average batsman.

For you guys, so much to work with in Seales and Shamar. Get Alzarri back in and you're set fast bowling wise which hasn't always been the case in your tough years.

Last edited:

Bolo.

International Captain
Does anyone have a clip of Philander talking about using the seam? I saw it on TNT at either lunch or a drinks break.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I'm a believer that even if you aren't a 40+ test average batsman at least play innings that are capable of being match winning and 80% of the time those are hundreds & these are our last two to score test match hundreds.

But saying that, I do think they both should be 40+ average batsman.

For you guys, so much to work with in Seales and Shamar. Get Alzarri back in and you're set fast bowling wise which hasn't always been the case in your tough years.
They definitely should average 40 plus imho. I'll be disappointed if they don't.

I'm not so sure about Alzarri tbh. He's been playing tests for 7 years now and he doesn't know what line and length to bowl. He averages 35 per wicket. Compare that with Seales, who is so young and yet bowls a perfect length and averages 23 per wicket.

The missing link from our attack is a left arm seamer who can bowl 90 mph. That would complete the attack, but noone is anywhere near ready. Won't make much difference if they don't sort the batting out. So hearing Kraigg say he is excited about this top 6, was not what I want to hear.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Would bringing back shai hope be a good call? He's had that same pattern marsh had in white ball before his test resurgence where he started making runs and scoring quicker. I don't think he's gonna reinvent the wheel, but I reckon if you recall him now you get a few years of runs @35-40 which would be huge for the windies.

SeamUp

International Coach
They definitely should average 40 plus imho. I'll be disappointed if they don't.

I'm not so sure about Alzarri tbh. He's been playing tests for 7 years now and he doesn't know what line and length to bowl. He averages 35 per wicket. Compare that with Seales, who is so young and yet bowls a perfect length and averages 23 per wicket.

The missing link from our attack is a left arm seamer who can bowl 90 mph. That would complete the attack, but noone is anywhere near ready. Won't make much difference if they don't sort the batting out. So hearing Kraigg say he is excited about this top 6, was not what I want to hear.
I know he didn't score many runs in this series but what are your thoughts on Hodge? Loved his test hundred in England. Really enterprising and looks suited to the number 5 position.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I know he didn't score many runs in this series but what are your thoughts on Hodge? Loved his test hundred in England. Really enterprising and looks suited to the number 5 position.
He's a solid player, really good on the pull and short enough to where tons of bowlers will end up feeding him balls he can pull away while just hitting slightly short of a good length. Also heard tons of good things about his work ethic and general smarts from people who know him well. Issue is hes also 32, averages sub 30 in both test and fc cricket, and averaged ~35 last domestic redball season in the Caribbean. There's nothing in his record that says he's gonna suddenly average 40+ or even 35.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
He's a solid player, really good on the pull and short enough to where tons of bowlers will end up feeding him balls he can pull away while just hitting slightly short of a good length. Also heard tons of good things about his work ethic and general smarts from people who know him well. Issue is hes also 32, averages sub 30 in both test and fc cricket, and averaged ~35 last domestic redball season in the Caribbean. There's nothing in his record that says he's gonna suddenly average 40+ or even 35.
Yeah boet there's a reason why cricket is played by so few countries, it's a bloody tough game to grasp especially the purest form which is Test cricket ..

Unless you've had proper development in the formative years you're basically on a hiding to nothing coming up against those who've had solid development..

Back in the day you had a chance,you spent a lot of time playing club cricket and FC cricket to get ready for Test Cricket, now it seems cricketers are learning the game at Test level.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah boet there's a reason why cricket is played by so few countries, it's a bloody tough game to grasp especially the purest form which is Test cricket ..

Unless you've had proper development in the formative years you're basically on a hiding to nothing coming up against those who've had solid development..

Back in the day you had a chance,you spent a lot of time playing club cricket and FC cricket to get ready for Test Cricket, now it seems cricketers are learning the game at Test level.
100%
Test cricket is a hard game & now harder with players or boards not seeming to value it as much because of money. So even the decent players can't get tested enough to grow their games away from test cricket.

As @Nintendo says you end up going to the tried and tested FC player who is knocking down doors.

I know some of the Windies "better' batsman aren't playing test cricket but it's interesting no Trinidadian, Jamaican or Guyananor even Antiguan I guess are in the top 6 but there is 2 Domenican's, a St Kitts & Nevian & a Sint Maarten. I think those are the right terms

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Does anyone have a clip of Philander talking about using the seam? I saw it on TNT at either lunch or a drinks break.
If you have TNT sports and are UK based, you may well have access to Discovery+.

There are full match replays via the website or app version of discovery+ if you sign in to watch.

Bahseph

International Debutant
The bowlers once again won us a series. I think this is the best top 7 we can put out right now, but there doesn't seem to be enough ruthlessness there to score big 100s and bat long. Tie this in with the obvious technical issues that exist with most players we are still heavily reliant on cobbling together 300 odd and trying to shoot out teams with our bowling. If we assume Mulder is getting a run, who is the second seamer for the Bangladesh series (if it happens)?

SeamUp

International Coach
The bowlers once again won us a series. I think this is the best top 7 we can put out right now, but there doesn't seem to be enough ruthlessness there to score big 100s and bat long. Tie this in with the obvious technical issues that exist with most players we are still heavily reliant on cobbling together 300 odd and trying to shoot out teams with our bowling. If we assume Mulder is getting a run, who is the second seamer for the Bangladesh series (if it happens)?
Has to be Burger. Even though he didn't get many wickets 2nd innings he was super hostile. Just like that he can swing the new ball at high pace and run in when things are flat at high pace. Take the pitch out the equation. Left-arm variation too. If Nortjie was available I guess he would be the closest thing but just seam for swing and right arm v left arm.

The other options:
Lungi Ngidi: Firstly we need to talk about his fitness and drive. He is a big guy who gets little injuries but I always feel with him he only does enough to get by. If he acknowledged the fact he might need to do more than most physically who knows how far he could have gone. Saying that he is capable of jagging it off the seam and his cutters can be threatening. But right now I don't think we can count on him especially in trying weather conditions and playing him as one of two front line quicks.

Gerald Coetzee: Feel like he has hit a tough spell with injuries again & it isn't helping his growth as he can be massively inconsistent still. He takes wickets though and I think on South African pitches with the bounce/aggression/attitude he is a real threat so we consider him for the home series more.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
3 seamers and 2 spinners is the way to go in the subcontinent, Marco Jansen should come straight back in the side, will add batting depth at no.8 :

7.Mulder
8.Jansen
9.Piedt
10.Maharaj
11.Rabada