• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

Hungry Llama

U19 12th Man
Slovenian female climber is incredible
yes indeed and atm its nice to see someone who isnt US or China winning gold.

I think there must be too many diving events, it seems to be going from day 1.

But I feel sad that olympics is ending soon becos the sporting airwaves will be full of talk about
footballers again.

weeman27bob

International Vice-Captain
yes indeed and atm its nice to see someone who isnt US or China winning gold.

I think there must be too many diving events, it seems to be going from day 1.

But I feel sad that olympics is ending soon becos the sporting airwaves will be full of talk about
footballers again.
There's four events for me and four for women, it's not like there's that many. Most of the events have a semi final round though, and some of them a preliminary round as well.

They're just spread out over the Games, which I think is a reasonable enough way to do it.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We had a slight chance of a non-chinese diver winning the 10m final but then tamai totally botched his 5th dive so it's a clean sweep

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough, apologies to him in that case. But I still didn't really like the tone or the timing.

He also said something about her being on a similar level to Mark Todd among NZ Olympians. I'm not sure how his five medals (two gold) quite compares.
I'm sympathetic to the argument that the more competitive the event the more prestigious the medal (one of several reasons why I think the medal table is such a load of old bollocks). In that respect kayaking is a fair way down the list (it's pretty much just eastern Europe and Oceania that takes it seriously). Peter Snell only won 3 golds but his olympic achievements significantly outstrip Carrington's imo given how 'democratic' the track events are (he's still the only man in history to have won the 800m and 1500m at the same games). Equestrian events definitely have wider international participation than kayaking, though I would still probably rate Carrington over Todd (though the fact that Todd won medals in 4 successive decades is pretty remarkable).

Spikey

rousseau threw away a bronze with that one poor dive. Got 80 odd in the semis and 60 odd in the final with that dive and that's gonna be the difference

Ali TT

International Regular
I'm sympathetic to the argument that the more competitive the event the more prestigious the medal (one of several reasons why I think the medal table is such a load of old bollocks). In that respect kayaking is a fair way down the list (it's pretty much just eastern Europe and Oceania that takes it seriously). Peter Snell only won 3 golds but his olympic achievements significantly outstrip Carrington's imo given how 'democratic' the track events are (he's still the only man in history to have won the 800m and 1500m at the same games). Equestrian events definitely have wider international participation than kayaking, though I would still probably rate Carrington over Todd (though the fact that Todd won medals in 4 successive decades is pretty remarkable).
Although even in sports where only a few countries participate, you then have to think that getting into the team in those countries might be where the real achievement is. Although that may not apply in canoe sprinting, which I imagine might be quite niche even in the countries who excel at it.

SillyCowCorner1

There it is! Brazil takes the bronze in emphatic style. It was a match of good defense. Both teams with over 18 blocks. Love it!

weeman27bob

Joe Choong's fencing really letting him down this time compared to Tokyo in the modern pentathlon and costing him a medal.

Both Brits looking like strong medal chances in the female version tomorrow though

Ali TT

International Regular
Joe Choong's fencing really letting him down this time compared to Tokyo in the modern pentathlon and costing him a medal.

Both Brits looking like strong medal chances in the female version tomorrow though
From what I'd read he has had injury troubles over recent years and was upset that his partner wasn't selected for the women's team.

weeman27bob

From what I'd read he has had injury troubles over recent years and was upset that his partner wasn't selected for the women's team.
I think he cramped up as well in the fencing ranking round.

Both women look like they've got a decent shot though, so hopefully at least one of them can do well tomorrow.