• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of the West Indies, AUGUST 6th to 26th, 2024-- 2 TESTS & 3 T20Is

Bahseph

International Debutant
When Conrad started he seemed to have a clear team structure. He wanted 5 batters, a WK ,an allrounder and four bowlers. That's why he started with Muthusamy and Mulder in his debut WI series. He then reverted to Jansen at 7 against India. I won't count the NZ team much but it's either he has completely changed his view on the type of player Mulder is or he just can't bring himself to make a tough call on one of the batters.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I can foresee Markram having to turn his arm over, which is really not ideal.

Sometimes you might disagree with a selection but can see what they're thinking, but I don't get this one. It's almost like Conrad wants to play Mulder but can't decide which two of Stubbs, Verreynne, or Rickeleton to pick and so has gone with all three.

Ngidi did get wickets in the warm up, although as you've pointed out with Piedt that doesn't count for much. If it's going to be a slower pitch then maybe Burger's extra pace won't have that much of an effect, so Ngidi might not be a bad call.

Also, I'm not a fan of left arm being an important selection criterion for pacers. That line of thought resulted in us being stuck with Wayne Parnell for far too long.
Left arm creates different angles, provides a variety, of course you still have to bowl accurately which was a problem with Parnell (Who had the raw materials to succeed in international cricket I believe)
From what I've seen of the West Indies they are terrified of express pace, when we toured here the last time Nortje was a huge point of difference, Burger is capable of those speeds plus a different angle to the rest of the seamers ..

Burger also took 11 wickets at 14.00 in his 2 tests so to hold the bench when you have guys like Mulder at 8 is harsh ..

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have no problem playing Ngidi over Burger as the incumbent. But playing Mulder at 8 is a hiding to nothing for him. He either comes in late with no wickets left or doesn't get enough time to bat at all. And while he is a decent seamer he isn't a main line bowler. And if he fails in either department it will be held against him. Piedt or Burger should be playing depending on conditions.

I agree that it feels like the inability to choose between Rickelton and Verreynne. Stubbs was always playing.

SeamUp

International Coach
He should have just backed the 7/4 split.

Burger or Piedt play ahead of Mulder and going by our last series Burger was ahead of Ngidi. Selections seem inconsistent.

But you don't need Mulder's bowling that badly even if wicket to wicket allowing Maharaj to purely attack.

Playing Burger or Piedt allows you to use Rabada and Maharaj more wisely.

WICFan

State 12th Man
I'm looking forward to seeing Carty. He is more technically equipped to handle world class bowling than Kirk. But yet again, his FC record indicates he finds a way to get out anyway. Given his record, we can't expect much.
I think he had a habit of trying to play anything outside of off stump for a while, hopefully he's curbed that.

WICFan

State 12th Man
One indicator of this frenism will be Kraigg throwing the ball to Warrican before Motie. Just wait and see.
Seem to remember Bishoo getting the same treatment. Ball would have been thrown to Warrican and Chase for a good few overs before him.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Could Piedt be injured? It seems unlikely given that he was playing four days ago, but it would mean his exclusion actually makes sense. I'm not convinced that Mulder's the best replacement though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Could Piedt be injured? It seems unlikely given that he was playing four days ago, but it would mean his exclusion actually makes sense. I'm not convinced that Mulder's the best replacement though.
Very unlikely. Probably would have still gone for Burger over Piedt to have an express pace option even taking conditions into account. Left-arm just an extra bow. Windies batsman have long struggled against decent express pace.

Stefan9

International Debutant
It feels like Conrad is trying to squeeze players into the side instead of picking the best balance for the conditions ..

Mulder is a medium pacer he should be playing as a batting all rounder, that would give you the option to play a second spinner ..I would have also played Burger instead of Ngidi for the extra pace option and left arm angle .
I can foresee Markram having to turn his arm over, which is really not ideal.

Sometimes you might disagree with a selection but can see what they're thinking, but I don't get this one. It's almost like Conrad wants to play Mulder but can't decide which two of Stubbs, Verreynne, or Rickeleton to pick and so has gone with all three.

Ngidi did get wickets in the warm up, although as you've pointed out with Piedt that doesn't count for much. If it's going to be a slower pitch then maybe Burger's extra pace won't have that much of an effect, so Ngidi might not be a bad call.

Also, I'm not a fan of left arm being an important selection criterion for pacers. That line of thought resulted in us being stuck with Wayne Parnell for far too long.
Reckon this all comes down to an unwillingness to pick between rickelton - verreyne. Hence picking all them + Mulder. Should have been rickelton as the keeper and Mulder at 7.

Heboric

International Debutant
I miss decent old fashioned radio commentary - very old school :laugh:
Pity SABC is so **** at providing it

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Holder picks up a wicket from his first ball.

In contrast, his first test back at Lord's, he was dismissed off the first ball he faced.

Poetry.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
11.30pm It's like proper rain now. So we might have an early lunch here.
Not good signs. I have to report that it's pouring here in NYC also, it's been coming down since last evening...there's a hurricane under our a$$es in North Carolina.