• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of the West Indies, AUGUST 6th to 26th, 2024-- 2 TESTS & 3 T20Is

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
CWI scorecard said retired injured but he didn't hobble off or anything like that. So I'm not sure.
Commentators, I was watching the YouTube feed, also kept saying retired hurt and were not using that for anyone else. There was a break before Markram did retire hurt. May have been precautionary as nothing has since come out.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Our XI has been picked,

1. Kraigg (capt)
2. Louis
3. Carty (debut)
4. Athanaze
5. Hodge
6. Holder
7. Da Silva (wk)
8. Motie
9. Roach
10. Warrican
11. Seales

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Our XI has been picked,

1. Kraigg (capt)
2. Louis
3. Carty (debut)
4. Athanaze
5. Hodge
6. Holder
7. Da Silva (wk)
8. Motie
9. Roach
10. Warrican
11. Seales
That attack lacks any pace at all. Jayden is the fastest at 85/86 mph. I also just don't rate Warrican at all. Two left arm spinners, one of whom is so much better than the other. This could be a long test.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That attack lacks any pace at all. Jayden is the fastest at 85/86 mph. I also just don't rate Warrican at all. Two left arm spinners, one of whom is so much better than the other. This could be a long test.
It seems that pace wasn't a major consideration in the selection of this squad. Firstly, Roach's inclusion adds a wealth of experience from a pace bowler's perspective. Secondly, Seales is regarded as the top pacer in the West Indies. Lastly, there are hopes that the all-rounder Jason Holder will make a significant impact.

Warrican's in here because he is a Bajan.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Our XI has been picked,

1. Kraigg (capt)
2. Louis
3. Carty (debut)
4. Athanaze
5. Hodge
6. Holder
7. Da Silva (wk)
8. Motie
9. Roach
10. Warrican
11. Seales
Warrican makes such little sense with Motie already in the side. Hodge is there too as backup if you really wanted to use two SLAs. I don't get the point at all.

LangleyburyCCPlayee

U19 Cricketer
Carty the first player from St Maarten to play a Test match? Will be interesting to see how he goes, he can’t do any worse than McKenzie! The rest of the batting lineup all had their moments against England, you’d hope that getting 3 Tests under their belt will help them in this series. I guess it sucks for Shamar Joseph, but he wasn’t 100% against England so a little rest is a necessary evil really

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Was Cornwall available? His tall offspin is probably more useful than warricans SLA with motie there and he adds a bit of batting.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Not sure about this idea. We are stacking the batting. Wiaan third seamer and probably batting 8.
I don't understand how Piedt loses his place, the home side has picked 2 spinners , that's a huge clue on how the conditions are going to play out ..
Maharaj for the Right handers and Piedt for the Left handers..
Piedt took 8 wickets in his last test vs NZ, 4/50 in the warm up and he's handy with the bat should have been a no brainer selection for Trinidad and Guyana.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
It feels like Conrad is trying to squeeze players into the side instead of picking the best balance for the conditions ..

Mulder is a medium pacer he should be playing as a batting all rounder, that would give you the option to play a second spinner ..I would have also played Burger instead of Ngidi for the extra pace option and left arm angle .

Dendarii

International Debutant
I don't understand how Piedt loses his place, the home side has picked 2 spinners , that's a huge clue on how the conditions are going to play out ..
Piedt took 8 wickets in his last test vs NZ, 4/50 in the warm up and he's handy with the bat should have been a no brainer selection for Trinidad and Guyana.
I can foresee Markram having to turn his arm over, which is really not ideal.

Sometimes you might disagree with a selection but can see what they're thinking, but I don't get this one. It's almost like Conrad wants to play Mulder but can't decide which two of Stubbs, Verreynne, or Rickeleton to pick and so has gone with all three.

I would have also played Burger instead of Ngidi for the extra pace option and left arm angle .
Ngidi did get wickets in the warm up, although as you've pointed out with Piedt that doesn't count for much. If it's going to be a slower pitch then maybe Burger's extra pace won't have that much of an effect, so Ngidi might not be a bad call.

Also, I'm not a fan of left arm being an important selection criterion for pacers. That line of thought resulted in us being stuck with Wayne Parnell for far too long.

Beamer

Was Cornwall available? His tall offspin is probably more useful than warricans SLA with motie there and he adds a bit of batting.
They've stopped selecting him again. At the moment we're back in that familiar space where it doesn't matter what he does in FC cricket, he won't be selected.

Beamer

I stated as to why he keeps on getting so many chances -- Bajan
I think it's a mixture of Bajanism and Frenism. I understand he's good mates with Kraigg. Either way, the Bajan premium is alive and well.

The only other thing I can think of is that they just don't rate Brian Charles as an offie. In which case he shouldn't be in the squad.

Beamer

Carty the first player from St Maarten to play a Test match? Will be interesting to see how he goes, he can’t do any worse than McKenzie! The rest of the batting lineup all had their moments against England, you’d hope that getting 3 Tests under their belt will help them in this series. I guess it sucks for Shamar Joseph, but he wasn’t 100% against England so a little rest is a necessary evil really
I'm looking forward to seeing Carty. He is more technically equipped to handle world class bowling than Kirk. But yet again, his FC record indicates he finds a way to get out anyway. Given his record, we can't expect much.

Beamer

I think it's a mixture of Bajanism and Frenism. I understand he's good mates with Kraigg. Either way, the Bajan premium is alive and well.

The only other thing I can think of is that they just don't rate Brian Charles as an offie. In which case he shouldn't be in the squad.
One indicator of this frenism will be Kraigg throwing the ball to Warrican before Motie. Just wait and see.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Piedt in for Rickelton would have made the team make much more sense.