• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
Coetzee picked up side strain in usa t20s he is ruled out of west indias test series, migual pretorius who has taken 23 wickets in 8 matches
for somerset is his replacement :) happy for him can bat 8/9 and swings the ball at decent pace, like a philander type bowler I reckon.

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
Happy for Migael, had a chance a few seasons ago and got injured I think? Definitely more than okay with the bat as well.
Almost like for like batting and bowling but more consistent and experienced with his bowling miles than Coetzee and maybe not as quick and wild.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
SA A squad to play Sri Lanka A in odi's and 4 day games named.

Beddingham named in the 50 over side. Interesting that Tristan luus is already in the A team squads. Brevis & Breetzke in both squads.
Maphaka probably missing out because of school , would have liked to have seen Forrester in one of the squads

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice to see forrester get a score here and make some runs. Most excited i've been for a young allrounder since cameron green came through 8 years ago

mackembhoy

International Debutant

Beddingham named in the 50 over side. Interesting that Tristan luus is already in the A team squads. Brevis & Breetzke in both squads.
Urgh Durham play Surrey in the blast QF on the 3rd September.

Fingers crossed he can play 1 or perhaps 2 and fly to London to play for us. As we desperately need him for that game.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
SA Emerging beat Zim Emerging by an innings and 186 runs

Several players impressed , think these 6 performances stood out..

Tristan Luus took 4/34 & 1/22 , only 19 and bowled with decent pace ..

Mihlali Mpongwana scored 133 (187), surprisingly did not bowl but captained the side.

Dian Forrester scored 147 (219) and took 2/24 & 1/31 with the ball.

Left arm spinner Jade De Klerk picked up 5/57 in the 2nd innings can also bat so one to watch

Modiri Litheko made 98 opening the batting

19 year old Dewan Marais smashed 73 not out off 59 balls ..

Opposition was not at a great level, but good confidence booster for a young team

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I hate the unofficial status that A sides and Emerging teams get when they usually participate in redball matches, if it's XI vs XI there is no reason why it should not count in records ..These players all have FC experience ffs ..

Lenego Senokwane is on 270 not out vs Zim Emerging and it will count for nothing in his stats

WpGuy

U19 Cricketer
I hate the unofficial status that A sides and Emerging teams get when they usually participate in redball matches, if it's XI vs XI there is no reason why it should not count in records ..These players all have FC experience ffs ..

Lenego Senokwane is on 270 not out vs Zim Emerging and it will count for nothing in his stats
On the plus side should have shukri and Rob taking notice :) I see paul Adam's and Khan from dolphins have joined csa as bowling and batting coaches can only be a good thing imho they've both won lots of local stuff.

SeamUp

International Coach

I do like how Walter & Conrad do seem to liaise well with one another

Screenshot_2024-08-11-12-27-55-02_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Some very in-and-out squads for obvious reasons. "With an eye on the future". Are guys like Rickelton, Ferreira, Rubin Hermann, Peter, Baartman & even Lizaad Williams playing any cricket?

Best 4-day team?

Brand (c)
Breetkze
Ackerman
Du Plessis
Brevis
Qeshile (wk)
Kruger
M Pretorius
Swanepoel
Subrayen
Sipamla

Reserves: Dithole (opener), Moonsamy (wk), Mpongwana (seamer AR), Yusuf (seamer)

Omissions?
J Hermann, Moore, van Tonder, Petersen, Hamza, Parsons, De Swardt, Dupavillon. Cann understand why they moving on from guys like Moore & Petersen but probably the biggest to miss out in both squads is Jordan Hermann. He gets in over Brand or Dithole everyday for me.

Best 1-day team
De Zorzi
Breetzke
Bedingham
Brevis
Verreynne (c) (wk)
Muthusamy
Phehlukwayo
Galiem
E Bosch
Yusuf
Sipamla

Reserves: Mogakane, Mpongwana, Simelane, Luus

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Emerging ODI series starts now. All our batsman have filled their boots in the FC games : https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...ers-1st-unofficial-odi-1445435/full-scorecard

It's interesting look backing at these squads & who has moved on or who skipped it & got A team or Senior team recognition.

2024 in Zim
Batsmen: Modiri Litheko, Lesego Senokwane, Valentine Kitime, Andile Mogakane, Dewan Marais
Wicketkeeper: Ntando Zuma
Seamer ARs: Dian Forrester, Mihlali Mpongwana, Andile Simelane
Seamers: Tristan Luus, Codi Yusuf, Nipho Mpungose
Spinners : Jade de Klerk, Caleb Seleka

2023 in SA v Zim
Batsmen: Josh Richards, Jordan Hermann, Valentine Kitime, George van Heerden, Mitch van Buuren, Andile Mogakane, Michael Copeland
Wicketkeepers: Daniel Smith, Musa Twala
Seamer ARs: Matthew Boast
Seamers: Nealan van Heerden, Okuhle Cele, Siya Plaatjie, Nipho Mpungose
Spinners : Liam Alder, Nqaba Peter

2021 in Namibia
Batsmen: Matthew Breetzke, Kabelo Sekhukhune, Josh Richards, Jono Bird, Bryce Parsons, Jason Smith
Wicketkeepers: Grant Roelofsen, Sine Qeshile, Wandile Makwetu
Seamer ARs: Delano Potgieter, Dayyaan Galiem
Seamers: Stefan Tait, Lifa Ntanzi
Spinners: Tshepo Ntuli, Greg Mahlokwana

2019 in SA v Sri Lanka
Batsmen: Tony de Zorzi, Janneman Malan, Matthew Breetzke, Raynard van Tonder, Jason Smith, Sibz Makhanya
Wicketkeepers: Sine Qeshile, Wandile Makwetu
Seamer ARs: Marco Jansen, Dayyaan Galiem
Seamers: Nandre Burger, Thando Ntini, Tladi Bokako
Spinner: Kyle Simmonds

2019 in Sri Lanka
Batsmen: Tony de Zorzi, Matthew Breetzke, Raynard van Tonder, Jiveshan Pillay, Jonty Rapulana
Wicketkeepers: Ryan Rickelton, Tshepang Dithole
Seamer ARs: Eathan Bosch, Onke Nyaku
Seamers : Nandre Burger, Lutho Sipamla, Kerwin Mungroo
Spinners: Junaid Dawood, Greg Mahlokwana, Smangaliso Nhlebela

In 2018 guys like Verreynne, J Malan, Lubbe, Muthusamy, Simmonds, Kaber, M Pretorius, O Cele were in.
In 2016 Marques Ackerman, Tshepang Dithole, Jason Smith, Patrick Kruger, Rivaldo Moonsamy, Bjorn Fortuin (even Leus du Plooy) were in the squad

So looking back, it does seem to have benefits in terms of a pathway to SA A and SA.

Those who have skipped? Stubbs, Brevis, Mulder, Coetzee, Baartman (late developer), Swanepoel (SA A), Jean du Plessis (SA A). Bedingham obviously.

Those who are contracted and haven't been.
JP King, Meeka-eel Prince, Lhuandre Pretorius (school), Ronan Herrman, Steve Stolk (school), Tiaan van Vuuren, Abdullah Bayoumy, Juan James, Schalk Engelbrecht, Merrick Brett, Kwena Maphaka (school), Achille Cloete
[Personal favourites I would add are Ross Boast, Leo Sadler, Ntando Soni (school), Esosa Aihevba (school). The next BA batsman would be Richard Seletswane (school too).

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
So looking back, it does seem to have benefits in terms of a pathway to SA A and SA.
While I agree with you there, the one criticism I do have is that some of the players picked are never going to make it even to SA A. Not to take a way anything from Lesego Senokwane's 280 in the last match, but he's 27 with a first class average of 28 after 43 matches. Was there not someone else who's a more realistic future prospect who could have been picked?

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
While I agree with you there, the one criticism I do have is that some of the players picked are never going to make it even to SA A. Not to take a way anything from Lesego Senokwane's 280 in the last match, but he's 27 with a first class average of 28 after 43 matches. Was there not someone else who's a more realistic future prospect who could have been picked?
In terms of African talent, I would have picked Maphaka if school was not an issue, I would have also picked Qeshile whose still only 25, and he could have used the Emerging series as prep for the A team, I would also have had a look at Richard Seletswane who helped SA Emerging win the Div 2 One Day Cup last season.