• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Northerner

Cricket Spectator
Stubbs got a test debut on a horrible pitch in CPT, deserves a run in the team.
Dont disagree with what you say, he deserves a good run of test matches. no one should ever play just 1 test match, but i just prefer Rickleton at the moment. both have huge potential.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Dont disagree with what you say, he deserves a good run of test matches. no one should ever play just 1 test match, but i just prefer Rickleton at the moment. both have huge potential.
Play both. Have Stubbs at 3 and Rickleton can keep. South Africa plays a couple test matches every 6 months, there’s no point getting Brand, Verreynne, and Petersen involved for a couple weeks. Harmer and Bedingham would be the exceptions and Bedingham should be looked at in ODIs anyhow.

Should be a good series. Windies will be hardened from their England tour, they have a bowling attack that will cause issues and South Africa will still be on the floor.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Klaasen, Miller, and Nortje don't play the T20Is. de Kock is done, and I can see a lot of the older players being very selective about what and when they play moving forward.

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
My thoughts on team
1.De Zorzi
2.Markram
3.Rickleton
4.Bedingham
5.Bavuma
6.Stubbs
7. Jansen
8.Fortuin
9.Maharaj
10.Rabada
11. Burger

Rickleton or Stubbs to play as keeper. I do think that Petersen will have another run. Also likely that Ngidi might get in ahead of Burger but the above is my personal choice under the circumstances.

Bahseph

International Debutant
My thoughts on team
1.De Zorzi
2.Markram
3.Rickleton
4.Bedingham
5.Bavuma
6.Stubbs
7. Jansen
8.Fortuin
9.Maharaj
10.Rabada
11. Burger

Rickleton or Stubbs to play as keeper. I do think that Petersen will have another run. Also likely that Ngidi might get in ahead of Burger but the above is my personal choice under the circumstances.
Fortuin over Harmer isn't happening.

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
Fortuin was the leading wicket taker in the 4 day series, taking 35 at an average of 26. Simon Harmer didn't play one FC game in SA last season. Are we selecting based on County performances?
IMO, we need to desperately start looking at the future, Harmer is 35 and Maharaj is 34.
What happens if they both retire in 2 to 3 years. We just going to throw someone in on the deep end again.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Harmer is a world class spinner. Fortuin is an excellent LO spinner, that does okay in FC in South Africa. Spinners tend to hang around for a bit longer I expect that we will get at least another 3 years from Maharaj and Harmer. Personally, I prefer Subrayen to Fortuin in the Test setup.

But if we want to pick youth, and keep them in camp I would rather go with someone like Nqaba Peter. Not in the playing 11 yet, but give him exposure so that we can select him in 3 or 4 years time.

Bahseph

International Debutant
I like Fortuin the LO cricketer. I mean I'd pick Linde over him but he is second in the pecking order behind Keshav as a SLA in a LO now. I actually think he is behind even Muthusamy in Tests in Conrad's eyes.

ThatSportsGent

Cricket Spectator
I like Fortuin the LO cricketer. I mean I'd pick Linde over him but he is second in the pecking order behind Keshav as a SLA in a LO now. I actually think he is behind even Muthusamy in Tests in Conrad's eyes.
I'm a massive George Linda fan and do believe he should have been given more oppurtunities. Sadly though, he was struggling after his injury this past season and think it's going to take quite a bit to force his way back in.

Heboric

International Debutant
Proteas Test squad against West Indies
Temba Bavuma* (captain, Lions), David Bedingham (Western Province), Matthew Breetzke* (Warriors), Nandre Burger (Western Province), Gerald Coetzee (Titans), Tony de Zorzi* (Western Province), Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Titans),Wiaan Mulder* ( Lions), Lungi Ngidi* (Titans), Dane Paterson* (Western Province), Dane Piedt (Knights), Kagiso Rabada (Lions), Tristan Stubbs* (Warriors), Ryan Rickelton (Lions), and Kyle Verreynne* (Western Province).
*These players will attend a red-ball camp.

Northerner

Cricket Spectator
A bit puzzled why Paterson and Piedt are in the squad, Harmer is far superior to Piedt and Baartman or Williams imo would have been a better pick,

Stefan9

International Debutant
A bit puzzled why Paterson and Piedt are in the squad, Harmer is far superior to Piedt and Baartman or Williams imo would have been a better pick,
Presume harmer is ineligible due to not playing any domestic SA 4 day cricket last season. Unsure whether it was his or skukri's call to end his international return.

I doubt paterson plays ahead of the others in the squad.

Presume nortje hasn't made himself available for test cricket.

Will be interesting to see who gets the nod for nr.3 rickelton or breetzke.

So Brand goes from captain to completely out the squad
Didn't do anything with the bat that screamed pick me.