• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official 2024 Olympics Thread***

Ali TT

International Regular
Thunderstorms delay the walk and could affect rowing and golf later. Bloody snowflakes, especially the golfers.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Race walking is like watching a bunch primary school kids trying to be first in line for the tuckshop after they've been told they're not allowed to run.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Race walking is like watching a bunch primary school kids trying to be first in line for the tuckshop after they've been told they're not allowed to run.
Na. It's like a bloke who has had a curry and a couple of pints who is desperate to get to the toilet without losing it

flibbertyjibber

Our best ever start to an Olympic Games after 5 days. Seeing as the target was 60 medals we are well on track.

Today though is all about rowing, potential for 3 medals and the amazing Helen Glover looking for a 3rd Olympic Gold in the women's 4. Mid morning could be a great time.

Seems weird how the programme has changed as the rowing finals always happened over the weekend.

Ali TT

International Regular
Our best ever start to an Olympic Games after 5 days. Seeing as the target was 60 medals we are well on track.

Today though is all about rowing, potential for 3 medals and the amazing Helen Glover looking for a 3rd Olympic Gold in the women's 4. Mid morning could be a great time.

Seems weird how the programme has changed as the rowing finals always happened over the weekend.
Think a lot of the events used to have semi final rounds but looks like most are straight from heats to finals now.
Oh no! Are they gonna slip over on a drop of rain?
More the threat of electrocution I suspect. This may or may not be a reason to suspend a walk or a row but would make golf far more entertaining if there was risk of death. In fact in a thunderstorm golfers should have to walk around with their 5 iron extended above their head.

Molehill

International Captain

Having looked at qualifying times for Finals, I've come to the conclusion we should/could get 2 more Rowing golds, Women's 4 today and Women's Lightweight pairs on Saturday, 8's have a good chance too.

I also looked into the Windsurfing medal system, it's like the ****ing IPL. 15 odd races, then those placed 4-10 go into a QF, top 2 go into the semi with the 2nd and 3rd. Top 2 in that go into the Final with the 1st placed with the medals decided in that race. Emma Wilson is currently miles clear in the standings and all but guaranteed 1st place, yet she'll still have to go through the medal race at the end. Seems a little harsh.

social

Apparently the bloke who won the 100m wasn't in the list of swimmers caught up in the latest doping scandal, but he's just smashed the world record (admittedly his own) in a pool that no other swimmer could come close to beating their own or someone else's record in...maybe he is just that good, but China can hardly complain about the negative attention with the record they have.
Pan was an outstanding junior so didn’t come from nowhere (unlike the butterfly lady who basically did a FloJo)

social

I used to practice in some nets at a field where one of Australia’s best walkers trained

Bs sport where they virtually all break the rules

flibbertyjibber

Love the commentators for the BMX (same guys who do the freestyle skiing in the winter olympics) they get so excited for everyone
They are good. Watching with commentary for first time today. They know all about every move which is great. The BBC so often use commentators from other sports who are good at their job but know nothing about the sport they are covering.

Molehill

International Captain
They are good. Watching with commentary for first time today. They know all about every move which is great. The BBC so often use commentators from other sports who are good at their job but know nothing about the sport they are covering.
I was listening to 5 Live doing the swimming whilst driving and Ali Bruce-Ball openly exclaimed this was his first time ever doing a swimming comp. I was going to get all arsey about it till I remembered it's normally John Hunt's gig. :(

Brook's side

International Regular
Annabel Croft was excellent for the triathlon.

Johnny Vegas has been surprisingly good on the gymanstics too.