• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravichandran Ashwin vs Hedley Verity

Who is the better test bowler?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
Yep. 129 wickets in 31 tests @24.93 on tour since the poor series down under in 2014-15.

It is only SA where he has really struggled.

Overall in this period, he has taken 397 wickets in 76 tests @21.67. At home it is 268 wickets @20.10 which is not a massive difference from his overall record in this time. That is a full ATG career in itself.
How is this different from citing Anderson from 2010 onwards? His major improvement in this period has been Australia really, which we all acknowledge regardless of whether we call them series winning or not, otherwise its pretty much his career record.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
How is this different from citing Anderson from 2010 onwards? His major improvement in this period has been Australia really, which we all acknowledge regardless of whether we call them series winning or not, otherwise its pretty much his career record.
Anderson since the beginning of 2010 has 222 overseas wickets @ 26.69 from 65 matches. Slightly worse average and not as good in wickets per match. One factor in Anderson's favor is the volume of wickets though and this covers more years.

Anyways, the period that I picked wasn't random. It was something @PlayerComparisons had mentioned. I wasn't aware of Ashwin's impressive stats for the 9 year period until I looked up.

I also think that Anderson and Ashwin are in the same ballpark as bowlers regardless of whom you rate higher.

It is crystal clear now though that Ashwin is a better bowler than Kumble was. You have been under-rating Ashwin and over-rating Kumble in the past. Not a slight on Kumble though, who was a pretty good bowler.

subshakerz

International Coach
Anderson since the beginning of 2010 has 222 overseas wickets @ 26.69 from 65 matches. Slightly worse average and not as good in wickets per match. One factor in Anderson's favor is the volume of wickets though and this covers more years.

Anyways, the period that I picked wasn't random. It was something @PlayerComparisons had mentioned. I wasn't aware of Ashwin's impressive stats for the 9 year period until I looked up.

I also think that Anderson and Ashwin are in the same ballpark as bowlers regardless of whom you rate higher.

It is crystal clear now though that Ashwin is a better bowler than Kumble was. You have been under-rating Ashwin and over-rating Kumble in the past. Not a slight on Kumble though, who was a pretty good bowler.
I am not sure what has changed exactly. Of course if you exclude someone's worst series, they look better.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I am not sure what has changed exactly. Of course if you exclude someone's worst series, they look better.
If I have to compare Ashwin to Warne or Murali, I wouldn't remove those early series either. What it tells though is that he has improved a lot in the last decade and there were some brain dead decisions to drop him in this period in favor of lesser bowlers which affected his wickets aggregate.

He can't be as good as Warne or Murali but still a great bowler, which you never acknowledge.

Xix2565

International Regular
Have yet to see any sort of commentary on Verity, is he to be taken as some hopeless hack who couldn't cut it in a real conversation about spinners?

subshakerz

International Coach
I don’t think Ashwin’s away record is better or even comparable to Murali or Warne’s, but the anti Ashwin bias here is telling. Outperformed Lyon colossally in the last tour there, good in England, WI, and far better in SL than Lyon(and SC in general). Only been poor in SA.
Except he isn't good in England. He is also poor (overall) in Aus. And why do we ignore the times Lyon did pretty well against India in Aus and just focus on the series he sucked?

Xix2565

International Regular
Except he isn't good in England. He is also poor (overall) in Aus. And why do we ignore the times Lyon did pretty well against India in Aus and just focus on the series he sucked?
Lyon was worse than Ashwin. Pretty clear hiearchy IMO.

Also it's fascinating how irrelevant Verity is atm. Maybe he isn't a cricketer worth discussing in such threads?

subshakerz

International Coach
Lyon was worse than Ashwin. Pretty clear hiearchy IMO.

Also it's fascinating how irrelevant Verity is atm. Maybe he isn't a cricketer worth discussing in such threads?
Lyon to me a bit better than Ashwin. Ofc ourse, Ashwin having a great series in Aus this year may change it.