• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Murali vs Ashwin ( home Test bowling )

Who was a more dominant Test bowler at home between the 2?

• Muttiah Muralitharan

• Ravichandran Ashwin

Results are only viewable after voting.

ma1978

International Debutant
I think Murali is better at home but I can make a case Ashwin is better away from home. In Murali’s career, the two countries that mattered most to a Sri Lankan are Australia (because they are the big dogs) and India (because Sri Lanka played them a ton and couldn’t win one test) and Murali was horrifically bad in both countries

shortpitched713

International Captain
I think Murali is better at home but I can make a case Ashwin is better away from home. In Murali’s career, the two countries that mattered most to a Sri Lankan are Australia (because they are the big dogs) and India (because Sri Lanka played them a ton and couldn’t win one test) and Murali was horrifically bad in both countries
You can't put that only down to Murali.

Migara

International Coach
Ashwin is a better bowler on spinning wickets. Ashwin has a ball that spins big, one that goes straight and a carom ball. This makes setting up for a particular ball difficult. Say a ball landing just outside off on a length. Murali's off breaks will take it pass the leg (because it is spinning square) and the doosra will spin like a leg break and miss a bat width easily, So the batsman easily pad the balls just outside off, and set him self up for the doosra. This is true for Ashwin, but his non spinning balls changes the equation completely, setting up for the carom ball impossible.

However when they are on non spinning wickets, because the deviation is small, Ashwin's all types of balls can be dealt with same tactic. However Murali spins it square on any surface and even on such surfaces, batsmen need to change the technique according to the place where the ball pitches.

ma1978

International Debutant
Saying Murali is worse than Ashwin away is such a dog**** take I am concerned how anyone can manage that with a straight face......
The only two countries that are important for a SL cricketer of Murali’s vintage are Aus and Ind and he was a disaster in both. The rest is just noise.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
The only two countries that are important for a SL cricketer of Murali’s vintage are Aus and Ind and he was a disaster in both. The rest is just noise.
Yeah, because England, South Africa, New Zealand and Pakistan are a cake walk for Asian spinners........ And not really like Murali played much in Australia, can't give his two matches in 2007 much weightage really, let alone two in 1995. India is legit hole but he was still quite good in 2005. Blaming Murali for losses when the rest of his team's bowling was mostly **** except the occasional Vaas; hardly makes sense if you think about it. Ashwin's biggest contribution away in any reasonably strong country (except his first SL tour) is the blockathon with Vihari, followed by winning a single match in Australia with the ball in 2 separate series, though both were the definition of a team effort.

shortpitched713

International Captain
1722114560652.png
1722114586372.png

Here's the stats filters for those who might have been a bit lazy to look it up. The whole reason I made this comparison is because of the theory of strike rate ascendancy, for your ace bowler. At home ace bowler for their team is what they certainly both were.

Over the same length spell Ashwin will concede a run or two more per wicket, but will pick up those wickets on average an over sooner than Murali would.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah, because England, South Africa, New Zealand and Pakistan are a cake walk for Asian spinners........ And not really like Murali played much in Australia, can't give his two matches in 2007 much weightage really, let alone two in 1995. India is legit hole but he was still quite good in 2005. Blaming Murali for losses when the rest of his team's bowling was mostly **** except the occasional Vaas; hardly makes sense if you think about it. Ashwin's biggest contribution away in any reasonably strong country (except his first SL tour) is the blockathon with Vihari, followed by winning a single match in Australia with the ball in 2 separate series, though both were the definition of a team effort.
I am told these don't matter as long as someone wins a BG Trophy in Aus.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Ashwin is an ATG bowler and cricketer and am one of his biggest supporters here.

That said, Murali is EASILY the greatest spinner to have played this game. I dont think this comparison makes any sense. Ash is in the conversation for the 3rd greatest spinner of all time. But comparing him to the top 2 is just silly. Both, and especially Murali, were just much better.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I wouldn’t go that far.
I would really. For the last 10 years his away record is great except every where but SA. Has a near ATG SL tour vs Sanga and co., won two series winning matches in two separate Australia series and averages 28 in England. Pretty good imo. His Australia performance is bad if and only if you only go by his average only, which really doesn't makes much sense for a single country.

Coronis

International Coach
I would really. For the last 10 years his away record is great except every where but SA. Has a near ATG SL tour vs Sanga and co., won two series winning matches in two separate Australia series and averages 28 in England. Pretty good imo. His Australia performance is bad if and only if you only go by his average only, which really doesn't makes much sense for a single country.
I’d say good. Not really good. But thats me.