• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

Molehill

International Captain
Considering this seems a pretty flat pitch, the batting has been very generous on both sides.

As an aside, the fact we haven't mentioned Smith's keeping once suggests he's doing everything in a quietly efficient manner. A couple of very good takes off Bashir.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Pennington ?
I've never seen him bowl so I've no idea what type of bowler he is.

Doesn't he not take the new ball, so more classical English seamer?

We've picked all the other guys in the past with a view to the Ashes.

Pennington has played more FC games than all but Wood and he's not that many behind Wood despite being nearly 10 years younger!

So shows he's probably not as quick and so doesn't put as much stress on his body.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I've never seen him bowl so I've no idea what type of bowler he is.

Doesn't he not take the new ball, so more classical English seamer?

We've picked all the other guys in the past with a view to the Ashes.

Pennington has played more FC games than all but Wood and he's not that many behind Wood despite being nearly 10 years younger!

So shows he's probably not as quick and so doesn't put as much stress on his body.
Same here. I’m hoping he gets a run out this summer. What about that lad Cook of Essex who has taken a lot of wickets over the years but injured currently

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Same here. I’m hoping he gets a run out this summer. What about that lad Cook of Essex who has taken a lot of wickets over the years but injured currently
Cook is more a Rushy type bowler pace wise. But England were set to call him up before his injury.

Wonder if he gets a go against Sri Lanka.

He's another one that doesn't bat and we seem to be picking Woakes based on his batting on his showing so far!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Considering this seems a pretty flat pitch, the batting has been very generous on both sides.

As an aside, the fact we haven't mentioned Smith's keeping once suggests he's doing everything in a quietly efficient manner. A couple of very good takes off Bashir.
Yeah we know he can bat but not noticing him is a good sign. Looks like Bairstows career is done and Foakes too bar back up on tours but they may even go Robinson for that job.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Never was the same after he stood out of the side for a couple of years.

A shame as during the mid-10s he looked like being the Windies best bat for years to come.
There has to be someone better than Mckenzie, he's trash ..His domestic figures reflect it aswell only 1 professional hundred across all formats in his career ..Hell if West Indies are that short on batsmen they are better off scouting County Cricket and trying to convince players with Caribbean roots to play for the Maroon ..Like Bell-Drummond for example

WICFan

State 12th Man
There has to be someone better than Mckenzie, he's trash ..His domestic figures reflect it aswell only 1 professional hundred across all formats in his career ..Hell if West Indies are that short on batsmen they are better off scouting County Cricket and trying to convince players with Caribbean roots to play for the Maroon ..Like Bell-Drummond for example
I believe Haynes had talks with Bell-Drummond last year, nothing appears to have developed off it.

There is King, Carty and Ambris who played in the domestic fc tournament this year, I'm not sure what King's injury status is.

Kevin Wickham is another although he has only started out his career as well.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I believe Haynes had talks with Bell-Drummond last year, nothing appears to have developed off it.

There is King, Carty and Ambris who played in the domestic fc tournament this year, I'm not sure what King's injury status is.

I’m upset Carty is not involved

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Woakes is so basic and innocuous in these conditions
Yep like away conditions. So he's null and void.

Not that Jimmy would have been any effective in the wicket taking part. But he'd be more economical and create pressure for the others.

Almost like we still need Jimmy for PAK/NZ away tests later this year.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain

I think we're at the stage where there is nothing to lose by giving the white ball players a go as they cannot be worse than Kirk, who you can just see has not learned how to build an innings.

King is the most obvious one, as he has red ball pedigree. Pooran is more of a wildcard but he is so talented I would be tempted to give him a go tbh.

Carty looks like he should succeed in red ball cricket but he generally does not.

Kevin Wickham might be in soon, especially if he has a good A series.

I have my eye on Josh, who has not lived up to expectations so far. If Shai Hope would be willing to keep, I would be tempted to have him in as a keeper batsman and ask him to play in a postive manner, like it is an ODI.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Yep like away conditions. So he's null and void.

Not that Jimmy would have been any effective in the wicket taking part. But he'd be more economical and create pressure for the others.

Almost like we still need Jimmy for PAK/NZ away tests later this year.
Woakes is reasonably accurate (not as accurate as Jimmy) but his natural area is rigid back of a length and he doesn't have the release point of a Robinson to be a probing menace there, and if he pushes the ball fuller at his pace without swing on offer, he just gets carted.

I also think his action makes him quite easy to read and pick. You see the ball all the way so it's difficult for him to outfox batsmen in these conditions. Atkinson in contrast has a proper surprise bouncer as well as being more physically gifted.