• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the most difficult cricket shot to successfully pull off?

howitzer

State Captain
There was an interview with Lara some years ago on Sky in the UK where he demonstrated how he could hit the same delivery anywhere from cover through to backward point. Pretty cool to watch.

In more recent times, I find the cover drive for six impressive, working against all sorts of momentum to hit the ball up and over and needs perfect timing and power.
Kallis is mostly remembered for being a relatively defensive bat but he was genuinely excellent at these. I reckon at least half of his Test sixes were lofted cover drives.

subshakerz

International Coach
Kallis is mostly remembered for being a relatively defensive bat but he was genuinely excellent at these. I reckon at least half of his Test sixes were lofted cover drives.
Those are especially difficult if against the swing. In fact even with the swing they can be hard to middle right.

Ali TT

International Regular
Kallis's cover drive generally underrated. Because he was such a big guy, it could look like he was muscling the shot, but actually he had great timing too.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
If you can execute back foot drives against length ball
fast bowling then you’re a player of the highest class, regardless of the record you end up with. This is a hill I am prepared to die on.
Yeah especially so when you have to find gaps in the region. Marginally easier against ultra-aggressive field placements with no one in front of the wicket like how Aus used to have; even a semi-defensive block would fetch you runs, but having to drive through the ball with the middle of the bat, on your toes, leading elbow high as can be, piercing point and cover...now that's class.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
No his cover drives were super elegant. Dravid had very labored cover drives.
Dravid didn't look labored exactly, just that he would get down very low and reach out with full extension of arms and front foot to meet the ball.

And yeah, Kallis looked like a conductor of symphonies on the drive with that flourish. Always thought him a very elegant stroke player on the rare occasions he chose to be.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
On drive. There's a reason why "eat your heart out Ricky Ponting" is often uttered after someone executes it properly.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah especially so when you have to find gaps in the region. Marginally easier against ultra-aggressive field placements with no one in front of the wicket like how Aus used to have; even a semi-defensive block would fetch you runs, but having to drive through the ball with the middle of the bat, on your toes, leading elbow high as can be, piercing point and cover...now that's class.
I remember Tendulkar playing some back foot straight and on drives to the Australian quicks on the 98 tour of India and I still think they’re the best cricket shots I’ve seen in 50 odd years watching the game. I don’t think you can coach the ability to stand tall and hit knee-to-hip high balls for four anywhere in front of cover with a vertical bat. It’s a god given gift.

subshakerz

International Coach
I remember Tendulkar playing some back foot straight and on drives to the Australian quicks on the 98 tour of India and I still think they’re the best cricket shots I’ve seen in 50 odd years watching the game. I don’t think you can coach the ability to stand tall and hit knee-to-hip high balls for four anywhere in front of cover with a vertical bat. It’s a god given gift.
Here's a good example of his backfoot drive, albeit in his later years. Took the commentators' breath away.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Not a very Aussie thing to say, is it? Grind over gift(s) was my perception of Australian sporting culture. Also, you'd be surprised, and I'm sure not a little disgusted, with how Indian you sounded there :laugh:

Aritro

International Regular
I came in to say it was the back foot on-drive so here we are