• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

BigBeefy

Cricket Spectator
'I'm all for the positive approach except when they get out'.

There's no evidence today that being more circumspect after a certain point would have just magically made him still be in. It's not usually a tactical decision to decline a hundred.

Duckett's knock actually had a significant slow down for about half an hour after he reached 50, and he got out playing a defensive shot anyway. If anything he should have trusted his eye and kept going. But again, there's no reason to think there's always better tactics. He's just not that strong technically and he got out nicking a decent ball to a good catch.
That’s not what I’m saying and I think that’s an unfair generalisation - I’m not the token miserable England fan and in general I completely understand the mentality change they are going through.

A champion mentality though is also one that understands that when you’re going at 5 an over in a 90 over day, you can sit in for a period and see a bowlers spell off without having to give anything away cheaply.

This England team has the potential to get into positions close to c.400/5 on day one of test matches if they can just learn how to manage the adrenaline and just become that bit mentally tougher and calmer once they’ve got that fast start.

Crawleys innings in first test a prime example, but perhaps you’re right Duckett not necessarily the best example today as he wasn’t careless per se.

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Still need a minimum of 400 here England so at least two batsmen need to dig in here
This is why I can't take England's batting that seriously under McCullum. Unless you are scoring 450+ as a team on a regular basis, then you can't expect to beat the best teams. That's what's happened over the last couple of full series. Very promising positions and then thrown away. It used to happen even in previous coaching eras, but less sensible game management when they do get into a good position.

Molehill

International Captain
This is why I can't take England's batting that seriously under McCullum. Unless you are scoring 450+ as a team on a regular basis, then you can't expect to beat the best teams. That's what's happened over the last couple of full series. Very promising positions and then thrown away. It used to happen even in previous coaching eras, but less sensible game management when they do get into a good position.
Cue ridiculous way to get out by Brook!!

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Amazing start to a test career for an England player

Somersault deployed and brook goes
Yep yet another ridiculous dismissal from him.

This England side doesn't like scoring big hundreds consistently. It's a real problem that we fall foul of against Ind/Aus.

Ain't winning the Ashes if they don't sort it out

Crawley and Brook since the beginning of 2023 have 2 tons and 15 half centuries between them. Appalling conversion rates.

But the Captain, Coach and MD probably don't care cos were saving cricket apparently.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Yep yet another ridiculous dismissal from him.

This England side doesn't like scoring big hundreds consistently. It's a real problem that we fall foul of against Ind/Aus.
Really need someone big hundred so that’s pope and I don’t want a 20 ball 30 from stokes

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain
Cue ridiculous way to get out by Brook!!
There you go. People wonder why the PLF thread started, but it was the routine chronic of England players to turn highly promising individual innings into huge scores both for themselves and the team.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Sometimes i think England just go for whatever in a first innings and then hope to rectify any problems or push on for a win in their second