• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pope has the most hundreds for England of anyone who has debuted in the last 10 years. Last guy to get to 6 tons was Stokes in 2016.
Five of his six tons have been since his recall to the side and promotion to #3 as well, in 22 Tests.

I feel like every so often, people decide to look at Pope's overall record and criticise it for what it was like before he was rightfully dropped, not what he's done since he worked on his game, took on a batting position that better suited his strengths, and adopted a more Bazbally approach.

Even if you remove the double against Ireland he's averaging 41 with four tons and six fifties in 21 Tests at #3.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Five of his six tons have been since his recall to the side and promotion to #3 as well, in 22 Tests.

I feel like every so often, people decide to look at Pope's overall record and criticise it for what it was like before he was rightfully dropped, not what he's done since he worked on his game, took on a batting position that better suited his strengths, and adopted a more Bazbally approach.

Even if you remove the double against Ireland he's averaging 41 with four tons and six fifties in 21 Tests at #3.
I think part of the confusion is because people underestimated just how bad his record had got by early 2022-ish, so averaging 35 overall feels more like a continuation even though it's actually a marked improvement.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I miss the days of old scoreboards with the initials of a players name showing

that’s on tv scorecards as well

pope is O J D Pope

Howe_zat

Audio File
Also I think this is true for basically everyone who has had distinct sections in their career. Overall average is a blight