• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England, JULY 9th to 25th, 2024-- 3 TEST MATCHES

Qlder

International Debutant
Good bowling partnership from Shamar and Sinclair with 1-19 off last 7 overs. Now its time to see one of those Sinclair backflips 😀

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Seales' 2 overs for 28 gives him the highest economy rate for an opening bowler in the first innings of a test at the time of writing. Alzarri Joseph currently in 13th at the other end.

Also pleasing to see Gilbert Jessop once again looming large over this England team, though in a different way from normal.
View attachment 40954

Brett Lee getting smashed for a century on the first day of Edgbaston 2005 a clear winner for the most actually impactful of these.
GL Jessop clearly took his revenge as his record hundred came in August 1902

His hundred record is safe for another day anyway.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair, he has been seen as something of a latter day Bell for quite some time. Plenty of talent but less application. That said, prime Bell would walk into this current team even if it means AliTT and I would have even more of an excuse to update our favourite thread!
Pope's averages 44 under mcullum at #3. He's the best player England have had since trott by a mile. Guys got flaws in his game, particularly playing back to good length deliveries from the spinner, but the whole "less application" thing is a bit silly.

Also, how does Ian Bell walk into this team? Stokes is the captain and brook is one of the fastest players ever to 1000 test runs. He's not kicking anyone out of that middle order.

kyear2

International Coach
Couple things about the Ben Duckett innings and dismissal.

Really how can you watch that innings and not see the value that an enterprising batsman can bring to a team. Force changes to the rotation and the field, get bowlers of their length. Yes s/r does matter.
And what a magnificent catch to dismiss him. Again slip catching matters.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Pope's averages 44 under mcullum at #3. He's the best player England have had since trott by a mile. Guys got flaws in his game, particularly playing back to good length deliveries from the spinner, but the whole "less application" thing is a bit silly.

Also, how does Ian Bell walk into this team? Stokes is the captain and brook is one of the fastest players ever to 1000 test runs. He's not kicking anyone out of that middle order.
What about Root since Trott? Pope is at least a mile behind him if not 2 miles ?

Chin Music

State Vice-Captain

With the best will in the world, Pope is still unproven against the top bowling sides, despite a good run in the side and much of that applies to Brook as well. All a load of 50s against Australia last year but he didn't play against India last winter due to family issues.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Wow that was a bit unexpected a big six off the hip by Pope

he’s now just 1 mile 900 yards behind root

BigBeefy

Cricket Spectator
England still not learning how to assert and let time be their friend after getting miles ahead of the curve and into the ascendancy.

All for the positive approach, but when you’ve achieved the start don’t give anything away cheaply- let the bowlers suffer.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I see, I thought you meant in general as a batter. Pope frustrates me as he is obviously a good player but gets out to soft dismissals too many times
He can get himself out in stupid ways, no doubt. Just frustrating to see people act like he's still the guy who averaged 50 in an away series in SA early in his career and peeled off doubles for fun at county level but struggled to average 30 in tests. Since mccullums come in his become a much better player, even if he still has issues.

Howe_zat

Audio File
England still not learning how to assert and let time be their friend after getting miles ahead of the curve and into the ascendancy.

All for the positive approach, but when you’ve achieved the start don’t give anything away cheaply- let the bowlers suffer.
'I'm all for the positive approach except when they get out'.

There's no evidence today that being more circumspect after a certain point would have just magically made him still be in. It's not usually a tactical decision to decline a hundred.

Duckett's knock actually had a significant slow down for about half an hour after he reached 50, and he got out playing a defensive shot anyway. If anything he should have trusted his eye and kept going. But again, there's no reason to think there's always better tactics. He's just not that strong technically and he got out nicking a decent ball to a good catch.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I think this is the best weather, at a cricket match I’ve seen this summer in England

one of Roots favourite grounds this so they need to get him early here

Howe_zat

Audio File
I wonder what's the most runs before lunch after being put in to bat - England have just gone past the 132/1 they had at lunch at Edgbaston in 2005.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I wonder what's the most runs before lunch after being put in to bat - England have just gone past the 132/1 they had at lunch at Edgbaston in 2005.
It was probably Australia punishing England captain Arthur Carr for inserting them at Headingley in 1926, as Macartney smashed his hundred in a sub three-hour stand of 235. But it seems the actual lunchtime score has evaded the history books.

danzydab

U19 Debutant

they have improved on that.
its just that the windies have bowled genuinely good deliveries to get their wickets.