• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Brook's side

International Regular
Raducanu 4th fave for Wimbledon, got to be almost purely on money pouring on her from mugs, Kasatkina a much better bet from that side of the draw.

Can get 25-1 and she mullered Emma at Nottingham.
She's in great form and on a great run. Good spot on the price.
Emma on another level on her R2 form.

Molehill

International Captain
Raducanu 4th fave for Wimbledon, got to be almost purely on money pouring on her from mugs, Kasatkina a much better bet from that side of the draw.

Can get 25-1 and she mullered Emma at Eastbourne.
Kasatkina gone. I think Raducanu got out of Eastbourne at the right time, got some match practice but you don't really want to be going deep in the week before the big one.

Brook's side

International Regular
Some good stuff in there. but she's nowhere near where she was R2 today. Lucky Sakkari not playing well.
I think it's too slow for her.
Badosa would blow her away playing like this going by the way she played today.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kasatkina gone. I think Raducanu got out of Eastbourne at the right time, got some match practice but you don't really want to be going deep in the week before the big one.
Yeah, glad I didn't put my money where my mouth is. Raducanu is really playing incredibly, and the draw is opening up. Gauff also playing well though.

Brook's side

International Regular
Served really well in the 2nd set. A lot of good returns too.
Sakkari wasn't good though let's face it.
Still optimistic, but if she gets to Paula it will need a big step up on today.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Badosa is as mentally weak as Sakkarri though, if Emma starts well on a Show court with a partisan crowd reckon she'll crumble. Anyway both have to play a match first, Emma must be big fave against a qualifier, but ya know qualifiers can be tricky as Emma as shown before...

Brook's side

International Regular
I'm gutted about this, but I feel unable to support Emma having seen her press conference and what she's said about the mixed doubles.
I think she's being disingenuous, disrespectful and selfish, possibly even dishonest.
She's young and thrust into a pressurised situation on account of being a good tennis player, so it's forgivable, but to me more important than improving her tennis skills, she needs to learn some values in life. I think this process it actually necessary for her game anyway, as the mental side seems to hugely affect her performance and this would likely improve with gaining a more rounded and informed view of life.

Molehill

International Captain
I'm gutted about this, but I feel unable to support Emma having seen her press conference and what she's said about the mixed doubles.
I think she's being disingenuous, disrespectful and selfish, possibly even dishonest.
She's young and thrust into a pressurised situation on account of being a good tennis player, so it's forgivable, but to me more important than improving her tennis skills, she needs to learn some values in life. I think this process it actually necessary for her game anyway, as the mental side seems to hugely affect her performance and this would likely improve with gaining a more rounded and informed view of life.
I agree and disagree on this. On the first part, I think she was put in a difficult situation by Murray. Is she supposed to say 'no' when a legend of the game in the UK invites her to play Mixed Doubles at his final Wimbledon? But when she reached the 4th round, was playing well and had a kind looking draw, she absolutely did the right thing in focusing on the singles. What would 21 year old Murray have done in the same situation? Judy Murray should shut the **** up and remember what it was like for youngsters making their way on Tour. Also, given the great send off Andy had with his brother after the Men's Doubles, it seemed a bit daft to come back and play again.

As for her overall personality, yes she could do with trying to remember her day job a bit more. My company sponsors her and I see large pictures of her in the office when I go in (along with Draper too). We're not the only ones who do and she's made no secrets on Social Media of her extra curricular activities. Whoever is advising her is doing a ****e job, unless the plan is to make as much money from sponsors and as little as possible from actual tennis. Hopefully, now she's found some form and fitness she can kick on from here, but I'm still not convinced she's got the mindset for it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Lulu Sun the first kiwi to make the last 8 of a grand slam singles event since Brett Steven in 1993.

Molehill

International Captain
I've now got memories of that epic Wimbledon semi final in 1983 when Chris Lewis beat Kevin Curren (could've been a cricket scorecard). I remember supporting Curren as he seemed to have the best (not much) chance of beating McEnroe in the Final. The key moment was a very questionable line call which the normally placid Curren debated for what seemed an age.

I forgot (given other discussions here) that 2 years later Curren had changed allegiance from SA to USA.

Niall

International Coach
I agree and disagree on this. On the first part, I think she was put in a difficult situation by Murray. Is she supposed to say 'no' when a legend of the game in the UK invites her to play Mixed Doubles at his final Wimbledon? But when she reached the 4th round, was playing well and had a kind looking draw, she absolutely did the right thing in focusing on the singles. What would 21 year old Murray have done in the same situation? Judy Murray should shut the **** up and remember what it was like for youngsters making their way on Tour. Also, given the great send off Andy had with his brother after the Men's Doubles, it seemed a bit daft to come back and play again.

As for her overall personality, yes she could do with trying to remember her day job a bit more. My company sponsors her and I see large pictures of her in the office when I go in (along with Draper too). We're not the only ones who do and she's made no secrets on Social Media of her extra curricular activities. Whoever is advising her is doing a ****e job, unless the plan is to make as much money from sponsors and as little as possible from actual tennis. Hopefully, now she's found some form and fitness she can kick on from here, but I'm still not convinced she's got the mindset for it.
She doesn't play doubles much does she? Surely if Murray was serious about the mixed doubles he could have find someone more committed to the format.
I don't blame her for pulling out but it was a bit naive accepting in the 1st place, she needs to manage her body carefully and the last thing she needs to be doing is playing a format which she isn't great in .

Regarding her future, I don't dislike her, but looking at other girls who are around the same age not sure she has the same mindset for it although can understand that somewhat the sponsorship stuff must be very alluring.