• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
What a career, the only small shame about his career, he never had a gimme slam final and no I don't think Raonic on grass was one, he deserved more than 3 slams but heh the boy done well.:D
He also had two Olympic golds, didn’t he? He played most of his career against the 3 greatest players of all time and held his own against them. It’s a pretty solid haul, considering. Any other era, he would have finished with double digit slams.

Molehill

International Captain
He also had two Olympic golds, didn’t he? He played most of his career against the 3 greatest players of all time and held his own against them. It’s a pretty solid haul, considering. Any other era, he would have finished with double digit slams.
I guess in any other era, would he have been as driven to be that good, it simply wouldn't have been necessary. It took quite a while for most of Britain (well England) to get him, and many still don't. I spent far too much of the 2006-17 period watching his matches, analysing his draws and being dragged emotionally through the ringer. It was great fun and something a British tennis fan is unlikely to experience again.

The last 7 years has shown what tennis really meant to him. His tweet last night "never really liked tennis anyway" obviously couldn't be further from the truth. No one puts themselves through that much to try and still be competitive unless they proper love the sport.

It's hard to think of a greater British sportsman, certainly not in the last 50 years.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Djokovic will make adjustments to how he played in the Wimbledon final, the question is whether Alcaraz can counter them…☹

Last edited:

Ali TT

International Regular
I guess in any other era, would he have been as driven to be that good, it simply wouldn't have been necessary. It took quite a while for most of Britain (well England) to get him, and many still don't. I spent far too much of the 2006-17 period watching his matches, analysing his draws and being dragged emotionally through the ringer. It was great fun and something a British tennis fan is unlikely to experience again.

The last 7 years has shown what tennis really meant to him. His tweet last night "never really liked tennis anyway" obviously couldn't be further from the truth. No one puts themselves through that much to try and still be competitive unless they proper love the sport.

It's hard to think of a greater British sportsman, certainly not in the last 50 years.
It's a funny one as on paper his record is modest compared to other great British sports stars but he was just dammed unlucky when he played. Hard to remember he was perceived as a petulant little **** when he first came out, given how calm and understated he became.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Popyrin’s win in Canada is definitely a surprise but I think that he and Kokkinakis are both as talented as de Minaur

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Popyrin’s win in Canada is definitely a surprise but I think that he and Kokkinakis are both as talented as de Minaur
Possibly more so. De Minaur easily the hardest worker though. The Kokk has also been injury-plagued. Clearly having lots of *** causes havoc with your muscles.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
It does seem that his fellow players share a similar level of cynicism too, citing the fact that being World Number 1 offers extra benefits that others don't receive.

Molehill

International Captain
Speaking of weak excuses, claiming that you need more matches after not bothering to enter tournaments rings pretty hollow

I couldn't believe it when I read that. She's an absolute ****ing idiot (the truth is, she's actually not, but boy does she say and do some stupid things). Last week she basically crapped on Murray's career and now she's coming out with this rubbish. She could do with spending some time with Murray, the one thing he did was get the absolute maximum out of his potential in the face of unprecedented competition. Raducanu is literally doing the complete opposite. Seems to spend more time on modelling shoots or in F1 garages than on a tennis court. Patience is wearing thin with this young lady.

Molehill

International Captain
We should also give a nod to Dan Evans winning the longest match in US Open history (5 hours 35 mins), and doing so from 0-4 and 15-40 down in the final set. From there he rattled off six straight games as Khachanov seemingly ran out of gas.

Again, a level of commitment that Raducanu could learn from.