• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Molehill

International Captain
I was probably unfair on Raducanu.
Obviously I don't know what exactly is driving the decision making process.
She's expressly said that it's not her being a "diva" lol. That is the concern I suppose for me as so many things kind of give that impression with not very much contradicting it, but she can't be expected to make decisions based on that perception.

As I understand it the reason for the withdrawals were a combination of match ups, working on changing her serve, changed strategy over surfaces, and likely protecting her body with a gradual return to competitive tennis.
I don't believe she has had any specific injuries as such this year. It's quite easy to tell with Emma because she parades them around court like a flashing sign, and she's evasive on interviews when there's an issue (rather than making flat out statements as she has done with her wrists). Also she was practising on hard courts when she withdrew from the French Open.

It seems the strategy is to have consistent runs on grass and hard, possibly avoid clay for some reason, take things steady, and target ranking points where she can.
Up to her, and maybe she can steal a few ranking points while everyone else is at the Olympics. :laughing:
Maybe it's a bit misogynistic of me criticising her drive and professionalism. Obviously she has a belief in where she's going and how she's going to get there, and fair play to her for that.
Clay is such a ****er of a surface and completely alien to everything else. I totally get why she'd withdraw, would completely screw up your prep for the US Open when you're in the middle of hard court season.

I doubt she's the only one who will be skipping the Olympics.

Brook's side

International Regular
Clay is such a ****er of a surface and completely alien to everything else. I totally get why she'd withdraw, would completely screw up your prep for the US Open when you're in the middle of hard court season.

I doubt she's the only one who will be skipping the Olympics.
We'll see.
None of the other Brits did.
I know (4 time Olympian) Rafa Nadal pulled out of Wimbledon to play in the Olympics (yes I know, he's claymazing).
And it barely overlaps with the hard court swing.
Also am not aware of anyone else pulling out of the French Open on the premise of getting ready for the grass court season. Boulter played for example and she seemed ready for grass at the weekend.
She had 10 days between her doubles match at RG and her 1st match at Nottingham, and she won the tournament.

But as I say, of course her decision and I was being judgemental.
As long as she doesn't think it's beneath her (perhaps like qualifying for Roland Garros), then fine!
I really hope she doesn't regret it, and also that she has a great season in the States. :thumbup1:

Brook's side

International Regular
Aryna has pulled out of the Olympics, also citing the schedule (although she would have had to have played without a country).
Badosa also.

Brook's side

International Regular
"I'm very single minded and I do things my own way and in my own time whenever I want"

Yeah, you can have an Olympics any time you want honey. Go girl.

Brook's side

International Regular
Katie shouting goodbye as the ball goes past her :laugh:

Also some quality trolling of Emma at the end of the match. Top bird. And a really good player at the moment too. Nobody is going to want her at SW19. Have a great summer Boults. :thumbup1:

CricketFan90s

State Vice-Captain
Connors-McEnroe-Lendl US Open Trivalry for 20 Years
1973 - John Newcombe def Jimmy Connors in Quarter-Final
1974 - Jimmy Connors def Ken Rosewall in Final
1975 - Manuel Orantes def Jimmy Connors in Final
1976 - Jimmy Connors def Bjorn Borg in Final
1977 - Guillermo Vilas def Jimmy Connors in Final
1978 - Jimmy Connors def Bjorn Borg in Final
1979 - John McEnroe def Vitas Gerulaitis in Final
1980 - John McEnroe def Bjorn Borg in Final
1981 - John McEnroe def Bjorn Borg in Final
1982 - Jimmy Connors def Ivan Lendl in Final
1983 - Jimmy Connors def Ivan Lendl in Final
1984 - John McEnroe def Ivan Lendl in Final
1985 - Ivan Lendl def John McEnroe in Final
1986 - Ivan Lendl def Miloslav Mecir in Final
1987 - Ivan Lendl def Mats Wilander in Final
1988 - Mats Wilander def Ivan Lendl in Final
1989 - Boris Becker def Ivan Lendl in Final
1990 - Pete Sampras def John McEnroe in Semi-Final
1991 - Stefan Edberg def Ivan Lendl in Semi-Final
1992 - Stefan Edberg def Ivan Lendl in Quarter-Final

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Raducanu 4th fave for Wimbledon, got to be almost purely on money pouring on her from mugs, Kasatkina a much better bet from that side of the draw.

Can get 25-1 and she mullered Emma at Eastbourne.

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
Connors-McEnroe-Lendl US Open Trivalry for 20 Years
1973 - John Newcombe def Jimmy Connors in Quarter-Final
1974 - Jimmy Connors def Ken Rosewall in Final
1975 - Manuel Orantes def Jimmy Connors in Final
1976 - Jimmy Connors def Bjorn Borg in Final
1977 - Guillermo Vilas def Jimmy Connors in Final
1978 - Jimmy Connors def Bjorn Borg in Final
1979 - John McEnroe def Vitas Gerulaitis in Final
1980 - John McEnroe def Bjorn Borg in Final