• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Brian Lara

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

kyear2

International Coach
Lara still the best batsman I've ever seen.

Had a level of genius I've never seen from any other batsman.

subshakerz

International Coach
Not really, he's right in the mix of the top 8 guys, who's just a little above the rest, where I think he is as well.

Only one person harps on him, so wouldn't call that under rated.
Dude, I rate Lara as lowly or highly as you do. I just dont glorify him the same way or have selective memory on how he was which perhaps irks your patriotic sensibilities or just general cast-in-stone judgements, I dunno.

Stop it with all these weak passive-aggressive jibes.

subshakerz

International Coach
Reason why I still rate Smith ahead of Lara:

- No particular weakness against any type of bowling, unlike Lara

- More consistent than Lara

- Much better away record, whereas Lara's away record is slightly sub-par IMO for a top tier ATG

kyear2

International Coach
Dude, I rate Lara as lowly or highly as you do. I just dont glorify him the same way or have selective memory on how he was which perhaps irks your patriotic sensibilities or just general cast-in-stone judgements, I dunno.

Stop it with all these weak passive-aggressive jibes.
Can't be that weak to get a reaction 🤷🏽‍♂️.

No patriotic sensibilities, that's you, and you would be well served to remember your response above, when I mention the name of certain all rounders.

As I said, he's correctly rates in my opinion. 6th or 7th best batsman ever. There's an argument to be made he also belongs in the best after Bradman conversation. Again, the best batsman I've ever seen in time watching the game. He was pure genius when he was on.

kyear2

International Coach
Reason why I still rate Smith ahead of Lara:

- No particular weakness against any type of bowling, unlike Lara

- More consistent than Lara

- Much better away record, whereas Lara's away record is slightly sub-par IMO for a top tier ATG
Wow, it's like can easily swap names here, thanks.