• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Brian Lara

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

kyear2

International Coach
I’m finding that I’ve underrated Lara a bit, and he is for me a contender for best after Bradman. Probably peak Lara would be my first choice to handle any ATG attack, given he could do more crazy things than any other bat bar Bradman. And except his India record, being somewhat hot and cold in the middle phase(which he fixed), and not being the best player of the 150+ guys, doesn’t have a noticeable flaw. For aesthetic reason, Lara’s 1999 series against Aus is the topmost glory of batsmanship.
Lara is absolutely up there, he was a machine and looked better than anyone else doing it.

Re express bowling, how many actually actually were successful against it? Scored runs vs rampaging quicks on fast decks? Viv, Sobers?

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Lara is absolutely up there, he was a machine and looked better than anyone else doing it.

Re express bowling, how many actually actually were successful against it? Scored runs vs rampaging quicks on fast decks? Viv, Sobers?
Few, but that’s an area some ATGs did better like Viv, Sobers(that 254), Tendulkar(SA tours vs Steyn), and probably in not ATGs guys like Kohli(again SA record and smashing Johnson), ABD. But Lara was truly magical in the sense that at his best he could transcend his limitationz

subshakerz

International Coach
I’m finding that I’ve underrated Lara a bit, and he is for me a contender for best after Bradman. Probably peak Lara would be my first choice to handle any ATG attack, given he could do more crazy things than any other bat bar Bradman. And except his India record, being somewhat hot and cold in the middle phase(which he fixed), and not being the best player of the 150+ guys, doesn’t have a noticeable flaw. For aesthetic reason, Lara’s 1999 series against Aus is the topmost glory of batsmanship.
Nah. Laras away record is simply not as impressive as Tendulkar, Sobers, Smith or Viv when you get into it who all average 50 plus away as you would want for the very best.

Below par in NZ. Could only salvage his records in SA and Pak once their ATG pacers retired. Eng had a great series in the 90s followed by two poor series, including against the famous Ashes quartet. One ATG series in SL, another poor series in India.

Averaging only 41 in Australia has to be the most disappointing perhaps, with two out of three poor series against McWarne.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach

Lara struggled over entire series against top fast pacers enough over the course of his career that it was a weakness more notable in him than others.

subshakerz

International Coach
Few, but that’s an area some ATGs did better like Viv, Sobers(that 254), Tendulkar(SA tours vs Steyn), and probably in not ATGs guys like Kohli(again SA record and smashing Johnson), ABD. But Lara was truly magical in the sense that at his best he could transcend his limitationz
Except he didn't otherwise he would have tons vs Donald and the 2Ws. Though I will say early stage Lara didn't have a pace weakness.

Slifer

International Captain
Nah. Laras away record is simply not as impressive as Tendulkar, Sobers, Smith or Viv when you get into it who all average 50 plus away as you would want for the very best.

Below par in NZ. Could only salvage his records in SA and Pak once their ATG pacers retired. Eng had a great series in the 90s followed by two poor series, including against the famous Ashes quartet. One ATG series in SL, another poor series in India.

Averaging only 41 in Australia has to be the most disappointing perhaps, with two out of three poor series against McWarne.
I only take issue with this. Lara played 3 series in Nz and was great and good in the first two and poor in the third, which dragged his overall numbers down. And all three were over short series. My point, Lara wasn't partially poor in NZ imo, just small sample size and one series messed up his over numbers. And yes, Lara's away record is the only thing stopping me from putting him above Sachin. Had he been even remotely close say around 52ish she'd get my vote....

subshakerz

International Coach
I only take issue with this. Lara played 3 series in Nz and was great and good in the first two and poor in the third, which dragged his overall numbers down. And all three were over short series. My point, Lara wasn't partially poor in NZ imo, just small sample size and one series messed up his over numbers. And yes, Lara's away record is the only thing stopping me from putting him above Sachin. Had he been even remotely close say around 52ish she'd get my vote....
The series that dragged him down in NZ was the series when he faced the best bowling tho. And below par is not outright poor IMO, it is just below ATG expected standards. He should have done better enough that one poor series doesn't take him into the 30s but NZ itself is not the biggest deal so I can give him a pass.

But once again we agree on the main point. I don't even mind as much Lara averaging less than 50 away, it is just when you breakdown the numbers he clearly is behind guys like Tendulkar and Smith who have much more well-rounded records and don't have to rely on their home records to seem better.

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
The series that dragged him down in NZ was the series when he faced the best bowling tho. And below par is not outright poor IMO, it is just below ATG expected standards. He should have done better enough that one poor series doesn't take him into the 30s but NZ itself is not the biggest deal so I can give him a pass.

But once again we agree on the main point. I don't even mind as much Lara averaging less than 50 away, it is just when you breakdown the numbers he clearly is behind guys like Tendulkar and Smith who have much more well-rounded records and don't have to rely on their home records to seem better.

Slifer

International Captain

Yeah respectfully, Lara's record in Australia is perfectly fine when you consider that unlike Sachin, he always faced challenging attacks down under: McWarne plus Reifel in '95, McGrath, Gillespie and MacGill in '00 and McWarne + MacGill in '05. He never faced depleted attacks like those Sachin faced at home in '98 or away 03/04.

As far as the comments about Lara salvaging his record vs Rsa and Pak vs depleted attack, that is true but disingenuous. Why? Because Sachin's was just as poor vs them and he only fixed his after they retired. Yes he did well vs Steyn but A. Lara never faced Steyn and B Steyn plus whomever <<Donald + Pollock, especially in the 90s.

The same great NZ attack that kept Lara in check ie with Bond, Sachin managed an average of 25 vs that attack. Luckily for sachin he corrected his record their later in a subsequent series vs a much lesser attack. Still Lara is slightly below Sachin .

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah respectfully, Lara's record in Australia is perfectly fine when you consider that unlike Sachin, he always faced challenging attacks down under: McWarne plus Reifel in '95, McGrath, Gillespie and MacGill in '00 and McWarne + MacGill in '05. He never faced depleted attacks like those Sachin faced at home in '98 or away 03/04.
We are talking away performances.

Lara did face a non-great attack in Aus in 92/93. Once you exclude that series, he averages in the 30s. Sure he played McWarne more than Tendulkar in Australia but he failed against them more too there.

Tendulkar had a great series in 2007 against a strong attack but yes cashed in in 2004, but overall his record is four good to great series and one poor one at the end. Whereas overall, Lara with a mixed bag averaging 41 in a country like Australia for a ATG bat is underwhelming for me.

As far as the comments about Lara salvaging his record vs Rsa and Pak vs depleted attack, that is true but disingenuous. Why? Because Sachin's was just as poor vs them and he only fixed his after they retired. Yes he did well vs Steyn but A. Lara never faced Steyn and B Steyn plus whomever <<Donald + Pollock, especially in the 90s.
Actually your framing is disingenuous.

Tendulkar vs SA he fixed his record with a great series against an ATG pacer. Lara fixed his record once the ATG pacer was gone.

In Pak, Tendulkar only faced Wasim and Waqar in his debut series as a teen, Lara suffered against them mid career. And Tendulkar at least faced Shoaib and Asif later on when he improved there unlike Lara.

The same great NZ attack that kept Lara in check ie with Bond, Sachin managed an average of 25 vs that attack. Luckily for sachin he corrected his record their later in a subsequent series vs a much lesser attack. Still Lara is slightly below Sachin .
Well that's the point, Tendulkar did correct his record, Lara did not or did not score enough earlier to compensate for his poor series and ended up with a blemish.

Slifer

International Captain
We are talking away performances.

Lara did face a non-great attack in Aus in 92/93. Sure he played McWarne more than Tendulkar in Australia but he failed against them more too there.

Tendulkar had a great series in 2007 against a strong attack but yes cashed in in 2004. Overall, Lara averaging 4 in a country like Australia for a ATG bat is underwhelming for me.

Actually your framing is disingenuous.

Tendulkar vs SA he fixed his record with a great series against an ATG pacer. Lara fixed his record once the ATG pacer was gone.

In Pak, Tendulkar only faced Wasim and Waqar in his debut series as a teen, Lara suffered against them mid career. And Tendulkar at least faced Shoaib and Asif later on when he improved there unlike Lara.

Well that's the point, Tendulkar did correct his record, Lara did not or did not score enough earlier to compensate for his poor series and ended up with a blemish.
Didn't Lara at least face Pollock post Donald? Not Donald level but Donald plus Ntini in RSA is a decent attack. Anyway I won't fight you on this, don't have the energy and Lara is inferior to Sachin.

subshakerz

International Coach
Didn't Lara at least face Pollock post Donald? Not Donald level but Donald plus Ntini in RSA is a decent attack. Anyway I won't fight you on this, don't have the energy and Lara is inferior to Sachin.
Fair, that was a good attack even without an ATG pacer but Lara didn't have a weakness to medium pace like Pollock.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He never faced depleted attacks like those Sachin faced at home in '98 or away 03/04.

Hmm, I take issue with a lot of this. Lara scored a lot of runs vs a depleted Australia attack in 03 at home, the same attack Sachin faced in 03/04 down under.

Morkel was also a very good bowler and I think saying Donald-Pollock >>> Steyn-Morkel especially considering the form Steyn was in at the time is wrong or atleast highly overstating things. That series from Steyn was one of the highest levels of quality fast bowling I've seen, and Morkel was great at the time too. I don't think there's much difference in quality between those attacks for those series.

The series Tendulkar averaged 25 in nz had pre WWI level scores. Can't use numbers from that to prove a point here imo.

Slifer

International Captain
Hmm, I take issue with a lot of this. Lara scored a lot of runs vs a depleted Australia attack in 03 at home, the same attack Sachin faced in 03/04 down under.

Morkel was also a very good bowler and I think saying Donald-Pollock >>> Steyn-Morkel especially considering the form Steyn was in at the time is wrong or atleast highly overstating things. That series from Steyn was one of the highest levels of quality fast bowling I've seen, and Morkel was great at the time too. I don't think there's much difference in quality between those attacks for those series.

The series Tendulkar averaged 25 in nz had pre WWI level scores. Can't use numbers from that to prove a point here imo.
McGrath only missed two tests of the '03 series. Lara faced McGrath, Gillespie and Macgill in the final two tests. So no, not the same as Sachin in '04.

I never said Donald/Pollock was head and shoulders above Steyn and co but Donald/90s Pollock > Steyn/Morkel. The point about NZ is that Lara failed miserably in one series vs a challenging attack in NZ, the same attack Sachin also failed against a few seasons earlier. Anyway I have and always conceded that Sachin is better let's move on...cheers!!

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant

Fair enough. More than making a case by case proper argument for Lara, I was making a more feeling based arguement, seeing some of his batting in 99 vs Aus and 2001 SL, I felt this was some of the highest standard of batting I had ever seen

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Fair enough. More than making a case by case proper argument for Lara, I was making a more feeling based arguement, seeing some of his batting in 99 Aus and 2001 SL, I felt this was some of the highest standard of batting I had ever seen
Afaic:

Sachin

Pros:

Consistent (40+) vs all comers (home/away)
Great away
Consistent over long career
Good vs pace, great vs everything else
Great home/away

Cons

No real monster series
Few atg knocks

Lara

Pros

Monster series
Several Great/memorable knocks
Ok vs pace, Great vs everything else
Great home
Carried a poor batting lineup

Cons

Mid career slump
Inconsistent
Suspect vs express pace
Very good not great away

subshakerz

International Coach
Fair enough. More than making a case by case proper argument for Lara, I was making a more feeling based arguement, seeing some of his batting in 99 vs Aus and 2001 SL, I felt this was some of the highest standard of batting I had ever seen
The 99 series to me is the greatest series performance by a bat of all-time, even better than 2001 SL, so I agree.

subshakerz

International Coach
Afaic:

Sachin

Pros:

Consistent (40+) vs all comers (home/away)
Great away
Consistent over long career
Good vs pace, great vs everything else
Great home/away

Cons

No real monster series
Few atg knocks

Lara

Pros

Monster series
Several Great/memorable knocks
Ok vs pace, Great vs everything else
Great home
Carried a poor batting lineup

Cons

Mid career slump
Inconsistent
Suspect vs express pace
Very good not great away
Good summary. I would just say that in the 90s, Tendulkar carried the lineup much the same as Lara did. Yes Dravid was good but a lot of the expectations in the high profile moments was on Tendulkar.