• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2024

Xix2565

International Regular
Dude, you are just pushing your own biased views as if they are facts.

The only fact here is he scored at a rate much higher than the other batters and did it for a much longer time at the crease than anyone else did. You can talk about ifs and buts, but to me, he got them to a higher than par score and that is a plus as far as I am concerned from my batting side.
This is hardly fantastical. He was set and firing, but slowed down across 7 overs. What if he'd gotten out then before he upped his SR again? I don't see the point in pretending like only one person shouldn't get any questions asked because they were the best of a bad performance. It wasn't like it was a great innings in the first place given how it played out.

And again, this wasn't an above par score, especially given the overall context. I just showed how RR managed it easily for the most part, when it shouldn't have been the case if it was above par. They didn't manage a single over under 5 runs outside of the first over when they lost Jaiswal, while RCB managed multiple such overs while they largely didn't lose wickets.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And again, this wasn't an above par score, especially given the overall context. I just showed how RR managed it easily for the most part, when it shouldn't have been the case if it was above par. They didn't manage a single over under 5 runs outside of the first over when they lost Jaiswal, while RCB managed multiple such overs while they largely didn't lose wickets.
You post as if bowlers and their quality do not matter. I already showed how it could have gone acropper for RR too.

Xix2565

International Regular
You post as if bowlers and their quality do not matter. I already showed how it could have gone acropper for RR too.
Honestly, they don't matter that much. A couple of good hits will force them into different plans, as we saw when RCB barraged the first 4 overs before Ashwin came in quickly. That they didn't really counter these things from RR is bad cricket, not good.

RR at least keep at it though every game. They don't back away from the risks of failure even though they arguably should follow your style given their batting depth vs bowling depth balance. They have Ashwin at number 7, vs RCB's Dinesh Karthik/Patidar/etc. That's good team planning and commitment to playstyle.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Honestly, they don't matter that much. A couple of good hits will force them into different plans, as we saw when RCB barraged the first 4 overs before Ashwin came in quickly. That they didn't really counter these things from RR is bad cricket, not good.

RR at least keep at it though every game. They don't back away from the risks of failure even though they arguably should follow your style given their batting depth vs bowling depth balance. They have Ashwin at number 7, vs RCB's Dinesh Karthik/Patidar/etc. That's good team planning and commitment to playstyle.
RR is also facing far inferior bowlers. They aren’t taking risks if the RCB bowlers are bowling pies to them. I think the main point of difference here is whether quality of bowling matters or not. HB and I think it does. We can agree to disagree here

Xix2565

International Regular
I just think it's hard to say quality of the bowling matters when the conditions and ball makes hitting the ball for boundaries so much easier than in other formats. And the bowlers don't have a lot of balls to establish a rhythm and aren't really as incentivized to take wickets when being economical is incredibly valuable. And on the other side, the batters don't have a lot of balls to use up to score runs, so they too are incentivized to take risks to score regardless of how difficult it may seem. It's just a different game now and at some point people have to realise that.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
I just think it's hard to say quality of the bowling matters when the conditions and ball makes hitting the ball for boundaries so much easier than in other formats. And the bowlers don't have a lot of balls to establish a rhythm and aren't really as incentivized to take wickets when being economical is incredibly valuable. And on the other side, the batters don't have a lot of balls to use up to score runs, so they too are incentivized to take risks to score regardless of how difficult it may seem. It's just a different game now and at some point people have to realise that.
Don’t agree Jaipur is very flat and played a bit slow in the first innings. Plus it has bigger boundaries than the grounds one sees 220 odd being achieved every now and then

Xix2565

International Regular
I think spicy conditions in T20 games doesn't mean that it's really that difficult in longer formats. These would be fine batting conditions over ODIs/Tests, but since in T20s you don't have the time to settle down it seems more difficult than it really is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the score they got is above par for a regular bowling attack and that means, the batting or at least the one person who actually scored runs at pace, is not the problem. Its stupid IMO to blame the person who actually got the runs for others not being able to get the runs or keep the runs down while bowling.

Xix2565

International Regular
The one person isn't getting all the blame though. He played poorly, just like the rest of the team. Not difficult to understand.

Xix2565

International Regular
Except he didn't. He gave them a fighting chance but the bowlers could not fight. Easy to understand.
He gave them a smaller chance than you feel, just like the rest of the batters. That's pretty obvious.

The slowdown in the middle overs is indefensible, because it didn't help the team.

Xix2565

International Regular
113 (72), of which 20 were dot balls. 31 singles as well. This is good Test batting, not good T20 batting.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Except he didn't. He gave them a fighting chance but the bowlers could not fight. Easy to understand.
bro you’re dissing the bowlers for performing at par relative to their talent and excusing Kohli for performing at par relative to his talent

like you gotta pick 1 lane here

Socerer 01

International Captain
like a strategy of relying on your powerplay bowler to pick up 3 cheap wickets of the opposition top 3 in his 1st 2 overs is not a good one because that aint gonna happen in most matches

its easier to get your best batsman to strike at 190-200 after facing 60% of balls

why the **** am i even analysing rcb’s failures when no one associated with that pathetic franchise even cares other than their poor suffering fans, even half of their fans are like Thala stans who are satisfied as long as Kohli performs

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Even 20 extra runs can win you a game in T20s. Teams chasing have often been left adrift with five or more wickets remaining. The bowling side strings together a few tight overs and suddenly the pressure's on. You simply cannot afford to slow down batting first at any stage nor can you provision for a "respectable" target. There's no point transposing the middle-overs consolidation philosophy of ODIs onto T20s either, especially when you have wickets in hand. Things have to be ratcheted on ever forwards.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
bro you’re dissing the bowlers for performing at par relative to their talent and excusing Kohli for performing at par relative to his talent

like you gotta pick 1 lane here
Lol who decides what is par? I am simply stating when batsmen get you to an above par score, it's the bowlers fault for the most part.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's pretty silly to talk about par scores as if no one tried to hit. Teams work out what targets they wanna set and bat accordingly. AFAIC they got an above par score which should have been defended.

Them relying on PP bowlers to get you wickets is simply a result of their own bad selection. I have all the time in the world for that criticism. Or at the other batsmen who proved that going for a much bigger target would have most likely led to them being 130 all out. But to keep blaming the one guy who did score runs and scored them far quicker than anyone else in his team is again, just plain stupid.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I think this "Kohli is not fit for T20s" thingy is the modern equivalent of "Sachin can't handle pressure". Dude is carrying RCB batting on his shoulders and people are bitching why he didn't scored faster than 158?? With minimal support too??? This feels like something you will see in Facebook or Reddit.