• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 ranking of bowlers poll

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
It's all connected tbh. My point is that people attribute what they see as poor performance largely to the presence of T20s, which is bizarre to me. There's more factors involved that influences a player's batting results that isn't mentioned, like bowler talent/skill and conditions which never seem to be brought up as reasonable points, instead it's basically jumping to the idea that people suck nowadays as if cricket is the one sport where players don't get better over generations.
Cricket has not regressed at all, it has only improved. Look af T20. It has taken cricket, as a whole, to another level, plus there's been so much more innovation.

But TEST cricket has not improved (though it's changed for the worse), because it hasn't been the 'go to' format for the up and coming youth since a number of years..

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Cricket has not regressed at all, it has only improved. Look af T20. It has taken cricket, as a whole, to another level, plus there's been so much more innovation.

But TEST cricket has not improved (though it's changed), because it hasn't been the 'go to' format for the up and coming youth since a number of years..
Yeah, but honestly I could hardly take T20 as anything more than a fun past time with friends. It's definitely cricket, but not something I can compare with Tests.

shortpitched713

International Captain
But TEST cricket has not improved (though it's changed for the worse), because it hasn't been the 'go to' format for the up and coming youth since a number of years..
Other than frequency of tours in non big 3 nations, what particular ways do you find this to be the case?

ma1978

International Debutant

I just don’t agree here, nations rise and nations fall and sadly money has a lot to do with it but a) you’re seeing the most exciting tests in the games history; b) more money in the test game than ever, and in my view, this will go up meaningfully and will be more more broadly distributed - this is top of mind in people I know in cricket admin, c) t20s despite being around in commercial form for 15 years have not supplanted test cricket and for all the money, are not taken seriously by the top echelon of players. Even countries like NZ, WI and SA have not lost top players at their prime to t20.

Socerer 01

International Captain

how has test cricket not improved when wobble seam’s prevalence alone has raised the standard of test bowling significantly?

kyear2

International Coach
Yeah I seem to rate Snow a fair bit higher than the other voters and if I wanted to do a much less severe gaming of the system I would stop voting for him for a bit to give my other votes more points but I'm playing it strictly honestly.
I could have changed the Steyn, Ambrose order, but I stuck to my board. So guess the same.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Yeah I seem to rate Snow a fair bit higher than the other voters and if I wanted to do a much less severe gaming of the system I would stop voting for him for a bit to give my other votes more points but I'm playing it strictly honestly.
I could also had changed my vote and placed Ashwin ahead of Verity; as Walsh and Pollock had their ranks comfortably and Cummins wasn't making it either way, but thought that to be dishonest.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Perhaps my 3,2,1 system is flawed. Too often we see a small group giving top votes to one player allowing them to finish ahead of a player with more nominations.
How is that a flaw? Surely the point of this exercise is to find how this forum rates the players. It's not supposed to be objectively factual. If a forum overrates or underrates a certain player and that's reflected in the rankings, isn't that the point?

howitzer

State Captain
How is that a flaw? Surely the point of this exercise is to find how this forum rates the players. It's not supposed to be objectively factual. If a forum overrates or underrates a certain player and that's reflected in the rankings, isn't that the point?
It's more the feeling that a couple/few troll posters are taking the mickey bliss with their picks. I personally don't care about it myself.

howitzer

State Captain
The percentage of dismissals to poor/limited over shots is far greater now.
Yeah but this might be balanced out by runs being scored more quickly though. Could the lesser balls required to get the same score mean a lesser chance for the unplayable ball to hit you when on a lower score. It's a paradox imo.