• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would 80s WI and 2000s Australia fare in unbeatable current India?

capt_Luffy

International Captain
How old are you? Genuine question. Because a bowling attack of Roberts, Holding and Marshall even in India is superior to recent Aus attacks because they took the wicket out of the equation.

Kids here act like the flat and/or spinning wickets India currently have are anything new. And WI bowlers have had success on these very same wickets vs Indian batting lineups equal to or better than the current.

That's the thing, I think a lot of you posters haven't seen a decent WI lineup in your lifetime, so you don't know any better.

As for B, India haven't faced a team like WI (or Australia for that matter) at home in any test. And for the umpteenth time nobody said WI would win they'd likely lose. If you think they'd get stomped then good on you. I don't...
The WI bowling had success, but leading Indian batsmen in Gavaskar and Vengsarkar also scored plenty of runs against them.....

Socerer 01

International Captain
@Nintendo

You can use this Team

KL Rahul, Rohit , Pujara , Kohli , Rahane , Pant , Jadeja, Ashwin, Kuldeep, Shami , Bumrah

Reserve squad : Saha , Shreyas Iyer , Axar Patel , Umesh Yadav , Mayank Agarwal, Gill
Ishant ahead of Kuldeep imo and maybe Mayank in for Rahul since Rahul sucked in 2018-20

Xix2565

International Regular
The Indian side from 1978 to 1989 (12 years, basically the length of Marshall's career) played 58 Tests at home. Of these, they won 12, lost 9, drew 36 and tied 1.

The Indian side from 1993 to 2007 (14~ years, McGrath's career length) played 64 Tests at home. Of these they won 31, lost 12 and drew 21.

The Indian side from 2012 to now (12-13 years), has played 56 Tests at home as of this point of posting. Of these, they've won 42, lost 6 and drawn 8.

Which team would be more challenging in a hypothetical match up? Where is the evidence that Marshall and co, or even Aus of the 90s-00s played an Indian team that was as good as the one in the past decade?
Still waiting for proof that the past Indian sides were a tougher side than the present one btw for serious discussion that isn't complaining about ages or nostalgia.

subshakerz

International Coach
Will say though, that Rabada and Cummins really struggling to make an impact here on their tours cant be completely ignored. It's obviously not proof Mcgrath Marshall and co would suck but it's something.
Rabada just isnt that good a bowler.

Cummins was a let down but due to outside factors.

Slifer

International Captain
we arent just talking about 1 or 2 factors in isolation though, its the combined effect that makes the Indian team difficult to beat

id like to see those batting lineups that those West Indies pace bowlers dominated against on similar conditions that are also better than the peak of Kohli’s India?

the age argument is so dismissive that i dont even want to engage in it since i could use the same logic against you and say nostalgia is blinding you
Sure considering I've literally seen all of these teams in action therefore I can make an informed guess as to what would likely happen. Unlike you and your peers.

subshakerz

International Coach
Still waiting for proof that the past Indian sides were a tougher side than the present one btw for serious discussion that isn't complaining about ages or nostalgia.
Nobody is arguing that. Just that past Indian sides were strong enough to merit their defeats being credible achievements of the strength of WI/Aus side

If anyone thought the previous sides were stronger than the current one, there wouldn't be need for this thread.

Slifer

International Captain
if you’re relying on 1 offs like that then i dont see why a 3-1 is unrealistic? idk why you think a 3-1 loss is a stomp or something when i explicitly said that it would be a hard fought 3-1 or 3-0 loss
Sir Roston Chase also made a hundred in that test. A bottom of the barrel batsman made a hundred and a decent bowler took a 5 for. Switch that team out for a much better batting lineup and bowling and fielding for that matter (add DRS) and it would still be game to India but 2-1 not any 3-0 or 3-1 bs.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Nobody is arguing that. Just that past Indian sides were strong enough to merit their defeats being credible achievements of the strength of WI/Aus sides.
Indian side in 80s was garbage. Didn’t win a Test for 28 matches .
However I still back WI to do well because Indian batting wasn’t rubbish in 80s . It was bowling that was a complete let down .

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Most definitely, India had their spin attack and good batting. Wi had Alvin Kallicharan. Made a huge difference.
And that I recall was a very close series, 3-2 being the scoreline..... But in all honesty, 2-1 for India seems about fair. I don't even know what the argument is going on about.

Slifer

International Captain
if you’re relying on 1 offs like that then i dont see why a 3-1 is unrealistic? idk why you think a 3-1 loss is a stomp or something when i explicitly said that it would be a hard fought 3-1 or 3-0 loss
I'm not relying on one offs. Your lot implies you needed reverse to take wickets in India. I said you don't.

And 3-1 is unrealistic because WI have a marked better batting and bowling than the crap that toured in 2018-19. And they have a better batting, bowling and fielding than a certain team that lost 2-1 twice.

Let me guess, you probably also think that this Indian team would white-wash WI of the 80s away or beat 2000s Australia in Australia as they've done recently going by recent results.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Sir Roston Chase also made a hundred in that test. A bottom of the barrel batsman made a hundred and a decent bowler took a 5 for. Switch that team out for a much better batting lineup and bowling and fielding for that matter (add DRS) and it would still be game to India but 2-1 not any 3-0 or 3-1 bs.
Peter Willey scored 2 100s against peak WI pacers. Wayne Phillips has a 100 against Garner, Marshall, Holding too

Whitney has a 7fer against peak WI batting, Tufnell took a 6fer against a team that still had Richardson, Viv and Dessie

that WI team must be junk to let these players perform so well against them

@OverratedSanity was right, you really need to be hyperbolic af to get your point across in this exercise of who can strawman more

Slifer

International Captain
And that I recall was a very close series, 3-2 being the scoreline..... But in all honesty, 2-1 for India seems about fair. I don't even know what the argument is going on about.
It's between the camp who conceded that India would beat both teams by 2-1 over 4 tests vs others who think India would win 3-0 or 3-1 (2-1 vs Australia because of spin).

Socerer 01

International Captain
I'm not relying on one offs. Your lot implies you needed reverse to take wickets in India. I said you don't.

And 3-1 is unrealistic because WI have a marked better batting and bowling than the crap that toured in 2018-19. And they have a better batting, bowling and fielding than a certain team that lost 2-1 twice.

Let me guess, you probably also think that this Indian team would white-wash WI of the 80s away or beat 2000s Australia in Australia as they've done recently going by recent results.
i literally said you need spinners to get good results in India, when did i even talk about reverse? to back that up i showed how most of the best pacers of this day and age havent done anything noteworthy in India and how the best touring teams here have always had 2 decent to good spinners at minimum

no, we would lose 3-0 or 4-0 away to 80s West Indies, hell i’d be happy if we took a game off them. again the people in this thread can only resort to shameless strawmanning and assumptions