• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root vs Mark Waugh

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

kyear2

International Coach
No. 3 isn't suited for a cricketer who was apparently criticized during his own era for batting too slowly or not imposing his will on bowlers.

No. 3 should be capable of consolidating, counter punching or all about attacking depending on circumstance.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
No. 3 isn't suited for a cricketer who was apparently criticized during his own era for batting too slowly or not imposing his will on bowlers.

No. 3 should be capable of consolidating, counter punching or all about attacking depending on circumstance.
If no.4 and 5 are relatively fast scoring and so are the openers, then I think no.3 could very well be the anchor. I think works better with having a decently fast opener like Grace unlike another grinder like Sutcliffe.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Very true. Will edit accordingly

Besides the openers, this team possibly would struggle ro compete with the Australia, WI or SA units.
Would with Australia and WI most likely, but I think this team could definitely compete with SA, if not is a bit ahead.

kyear2

International Coach
If no.4 and 5 are relatively fast scoring and so are the openers, then I think no.3 could very well be the anchor. I think works better with having a decently fast opener like Grace unlike another grinder like Sutcliffe.
But in that team, they weren't

One opener was Sutcliffe, Hammond was after him then Barrington.

Plus if it's Tests alone, does Grace really merit inclusion?

capt_Luffy

International Captain
But in that team, they weren't

One opener was Sutcliffe, Hammond was after him then Barrington.

Plus if it's Tests alone, does Grace really merit inclusion?
By all accounts, don't you include Barry Richards in your AT SA team? It's always has been how good a batsman you consider them to be.
Grace did well in the Test matches he played before turning 40.....

kyear2

International Coach
Would with Australia and WI most likely, but I think this team could definitely compete with SA, if not is a bit ahead.
Graeme Smith
Barry Richards
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nurse
A. B. deVilliers
Mike Proctor
Jock Cameron
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

Think this SA team takes it with little trouble.

kyear2

International Coach
By all accounts, don't you include Barry Richards in your AT SA team? It's always has been how good a batsman you consider them to be.
Grace did well in the Test matches he played before turning 40.....
I tend to exclude Barnes and Grace because no one alive have seen them perform, film or otherwise. Because the level of competition would have been questionable, and taking into account techniques etc, it's just not the same game.

But that's just my opinion.

kyear2

International Coach
That seems like an odd mindset to me. Why should a #3 have to be so flexible in their approach compared to a #4?
No 4 should be able to as well.

But with

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Barrington.

Who's doing that besides Hobbs?

capt_Luffy

International Captain
I tend to exclude Barnes and Grace because no one alive have seen them perform, film or otherwise. Because the level of competition would have been questionable, and taking into account techniques etc, it's just not the same game.

But that's just my opinion.
That's fair. But there are hardly any comprehensive footage available of Hobbs as well..... Not to mention you could hardly form an opinion based on those available even of Hammond, Bradman and even probably Hutton as well.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
Graeme Smith
Barry Richards
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nurse
A. B. deVilliers
Mike Proctor
Jock Cameron
Dale Steyn
Hugh Tayfield
Allan Donald

Think this SA team takes it with little trouble.
My English team (changes depending on conditions and team balance):

Jack Hobbs
W G Grace
Len Hutton
Wally Hammond
Joe Root/K S Ranjitsinhji/Denis Compton/Ken Barrington
Ian Botham
Les Ames/Alan Knott
Jim Laker/Hedley Verity/Wilfred Rhodes
Fred Trueman
Sydney Barnes
James Anderson/Brian Statham/Bob Willis/George Lohman/Frank Tyson/Harold Larwood

South Africa:

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
A B de Villiers
Mike Procter
Shaun Pollock/Denis Lindsay/John Waite/Jock Cameron
Hugh Tayfield/Aubrey Faulkner
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

I think the bowling is in favour of SA, but not by a lot and just barely; while English batting is definitely better, especially the Top 4.

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
That's fair. But there are hardly any comprehensive footage available of Hobbs as well..... Not to mention you could hardly form an opinion based on those available even of Hammond, Bradman and even probably Hutton as well.

There is footage of Hobbs, plus he doesn't make my team either because of said reasons.

Hammond, even though I'm not a fan as a batsman was around the same time as Bradman and Headley and there's footage of all 3 and I've read enough that I know how they batted, strengths, weaknesses etc. at least to know they at least played a comparable game to the one I'm watching now. And Hutton played post war and more than proved himself vs pace and spin the world over.

kyear2

International Coach
My English team (changes depending on conditions and team balance):

Jack Hobbs
W G Grace
Len Hutton
Wally Hammond
Joe Root/K S Ranjitsinhji/Denis Compton
Ian Botham
Les Ames
Jim Laker/Hedley Verity/Wilfred Rhodes
Fred Trueman
Sydney Barnes
James Anderson/Brian Statham/George Lohman/Frank Tyson/Harold Larwood

South Africa:

Barry Richards
Graeme Smith
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
A B de Villiers
Mike Procter
Shaun Pollock/Denis Lindsay
Hugh Tayfield/Aubrey Faulkner
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

I think the bowling is in favour of SA, but not by a lot and just barely; while English batting is definitely better, especially the Top 4.
The top 4?

Grace never faced anything remotely close to Donald and Steyn, I have no idea how Hobbs would fare either. Hammond didn't like nor play the short stuff well so those 3 fast bowlers would be all over him. And while Hutton would have faced Miller and Lindwall etc, according to reports, while he handled them, dominate he didn't.

No o don't take that top 4 over the South Africans where they have 4 world class and 3 ATG batsmen.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
There is footage of Hobbs, plus he doesn't make my team either because of said reasons.

Hammond, even though I'm not a fan as a batsman was around the same time as Bradman and Headley and there's footage of all 3 and I've read enough that I know how they batted, strengths, weaknesses etc. at least to know they at least played a comparable game to the one I'm watching now. And Hutton played post war and more than proved himself vs pace and spin the world over.
I can understand that. But I am just saying that based on what "you saw" alone, you can't really form an opinion on anyone of them really. You mostly have to use other constraints. And Barnes did infact debuted after Hobbs I believe, though no footage of his bowling survives; while Grace and Hobbs have played games together. But really, I understand what you meant there and it's completely valid to not include them, just that imo, it almost prevents the team to turning into a true All Time one.

capt_Luffy

International Captain
The top 4?

Grace never faced anything remotely close to Donald and Steyn, I have no idea how Hobbs would fare either. Hammond didn't like nor play the short stuff well so those 3 fast bowlers would be all over him. And while Hutton would have faced Miller and Lindwall etc, according to reports, while he handled them, dominate he didn't.

No o don't take that top 4 over the South Africans where they have 4 world class and 3 ATG batsmen.
By all accounts, surely you aren't meaning to say that Pollock, Richards, Kallis and Smith; despite how good they're; are better than Grace, Hobbs, Hammond and Hutton?